MLB Discussion

I'm thinking the Angels will need to make a decision between Teixeira and K-Rod -- I'm not sure they can afford both, what with the other crazy contracts they've handed out lately (Matthews, Hunter, etc.).

That was the best part about Kotchman -- he was cost-controlled.

I think the Angels really need to figure something out at SS. The two-headed monster of Aybar and Izturis is horrendous.

Id rather sign Teixeira than K-Rod. Shields and Arrendondo are looking like they can handle the late innings. I know Arrendondo has only been up for a short time but he looks good. I dont think Frankie is worth the money is going to be asking for at the end of the season. Yes I know he will get the saves record this year but he is anything but automatic. Hes a great closer tho.

You must be joking about Izturis and Aybar tho. They both hit and both are great on defense. I think Aybar is the shortstop/2 hitter in the Angels future. Guys got a cannon and good range, hes fast and gets on base. Izturis comes up with big hits ALL the time.

K-Rod will break down over the next few years. His K/9 and K/BB are both way down, and he has that jerky, violent delivery that is going to wear on him over the next few years. I agree that Shields or Arredondo would be serviceable in the Closer's role.

As for Aybar and Izturis: yes, I'm serious. Neither can hit. Both are merely okay defensively.

Aybar

Career OBP = .294

Career SLG = .346

Career OPS+ = 69

Izturis

Career OBP = .337

Career SLG = .379

Career OPS+ = 88

Aybar's OBP is atrocious, while Izturis is probably closer to the league average -- neither is what you want from a #2 hitter.

As for defense, like I mentioned, Aybar is marginal at best. His career Fielding % in the majors is .960. In the minors it was .950.

In fact, both Aybar and Izturis are very close to their minor league numbers across the board -- what you see is what you get. It'd be crazy to expect too much improvement, if any, out of either.

well that texeira trade seals it... the yanks need to win the division to have any shot at the WS... the wild card has to play the angels 1rst round.. and thats gonna suck.

altho i for one am stoked for next year.. because the yanks will def make a run for sabathia.

possible rotation?

sabathia

wang

chamberlain

petite

mussina

a couple decent middle / set up guys

and mariano.

that'd be pretty formidable

Guest baseball

I think it's kind of hard to fault Boras too much. He can act like a douchebag, but he's just really good at his job. Hard to deny that he gets what his clients want in the end, which is his job. He's had a couple miscues but overall I don't think you'll find too many players who weren't happy with his services.

He didn't construct the system after all, he's just good at working it.

On the other hand, his company seems to do some shady stuff when it comes to minor leaguers and stealing players and what not. So I definitely don't approve of that. Kind of hard to feel bad for the GMs and staffs of advisers he manipulates though. It's a pretty level playing field and he's just better at it than most.

Guest baseball
A-Rod isn't that good either.

I'd say A-Rod is, in fact, that good.

Pretty hard to argue that he's not the best overall player in baseball. He's pretty amazingly consistent in production.

No single player is actually worth the money A-Rod makes, but it's a unique contract for a team with a unique budget.

A-Rod isn't that good either.

I say you're smoking something. Dude is that good when you're up by 5 but look, with Runners in Scoring position specifically the place a dude like A-Rod should at least be above average, he's atrocious, at least this year. He's hitting like, what, .240?

Pretty hard to argue that he's not the best overall player in baseball. He's pretty amazingly consistent in production.

Precisely.

I call bullshit.

wont be suprised if dodgers win the divison honestly

fuck jeff kent

haha Fuck all the Dodgers. I cant stand that team. Dodgers and Raiders are my 2 most hated sports teams ever.

Oh whatever, give us are fucking name Los Angeles Angels of Anacrime makes me gag. So stupid. You don't even play in the god damn county let alone the city!

And Jeff Kent can take is 5 pitch-for-a-whole-game seeing overly competitive ass and his pillar of salt defense to the pine. I'm done with him.

I say you're smoking something. Dude is that good when you're up by 5 but look, with Runners in Scoring position specifically the place a dude like A-Rod should at least be above average, he's atrocious, at least this year. He's hitting like, what, .240?

Precisely.

I call bullshit.

well you have to look at the intangible statistics.

A-Rod is a media circus, and put asses in seats. he also moves a ton of merchandise... and when he starts breaking every single offensive record in a few years... he becomes an even bigger draw. While yeah he's not nearly as clutch as some players.. alot of the time when the yanks are up 5 nothing... hes responsible.

well that texeira trade seals it... the yanks need to win the division to have any shot at the WS... the wild card has to play the angels 1rst round.. and thats gonna suck.

altho i for one am stoked for next year.. because the yanks will def make a run for sabathia.

possible rotation?

sabathia

wang

chamberlain

petite

mussina

a couple decent middle / set up guys

and mariano.

that'd be pretty formidable

Petit and Mussina are about done. Wang has his moments but shouldnt be a #1 guy which is what he will be if they dont get Sabathia. Still not sold on Chamberlain either. The middle relief has been terrible hasnt it? I thought they had been struggling there. And Rivera is coming to the end of his career. The AL east is looking like its going to be dominated by the Rays and Sox for a few years to come unless the Yanks do something big.

well you have to look at the intangible statistics.

A-Rod is a media circus, and put asses in seats. he also moves a ton of merchandise... and when he starts breaking every single offensive record in a few years... he becomes an even bigger draw. While yeah he's not nearly as clutch as some players.. alot of the time when the yanks are up 5 nothing... hes responsible.

You're totally right, I'll never say A-Rod isn't a great player. He's amazing. He's better than Jeter and Paul O'Neil and every other person the media seems to blow. However, if I'm building a team A-Rod is a big cog but he's not the biggest, to me that's an issue. The Yankers have always needed pitching since he's been there and I won't get in to this debate about clutch vs. not clutch, that's mostly imagined. Dude should be hitting above his normal average with RISP, that's all. To be great you have to act great and to that end I haven't really been impressed with A-Rod. Not to mention he won one MVP when he was on a last place team, total BS and won another when it was totally David Ortiz's.

...and mariano.

As long as they stop pitching Mariano in non-save situations. Not sure how many times they guy has to look human pitching in random spots to get that stuff to stop.

I call bullshit.

haha Fuck all the Dodgers. I cant stand that team. Dodgers and Raiders are my 2 most hated sports teams ever.

Oh whatever, give us are fucking name Los Angeles Angels of Anacrime makes me gag. So stupid. You don't even play in the god damn county let alone the city!

And Jeff Kent can take is 5 pitch-for-a-whole-game seeing overly competitive ass and his pillar of salt defense to the pine. I'm done with him.

Look at A-Rod's career numbers. They're fucking crazy:

.307 / 540 / 1566 / OPS+ of 148

He was a great defensive shortstop and is a pretty damn good third baseman.

As for batting with RISP, his numbers are very close to his career averages.

CAREER

AVG = .307

OBP = .390

SLG = .579

CAREER W/ RISP

AVG = .304

OBP = .404

SLG = .555

He's hit 412 of his career 540 HRs when the score has been within 3 runs either way.

I call bullshit.

haha I hate the whole Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim name too. I think thats just flat out stupid but I just hate the Dodgers haha. Im not talking shit, just saying I hate the team.

The Dodgers are pretty pathetic tho. That whole division blows and they are in second place behind a team who is BARELY above .500. Ok now Im talking shit :)

3 MVP's (probably should've been 4)

CAREER

AVG = .307

OBP = .390

SLG = .579

CAREER W/ RISP

AVG = .304

OBP = .404

SLG = .555

He's hit 412 of his career 540 HRs when the score has been within 3 runs either way.

The only thing I take umbrage to is your inordinate amount of information proving me mostly wrong. Well that and you shouldn't win MVPs on last place teams so he's 3 MVPs should be two, not 4. (Taking in to account the one you added)

I call bullshit.

CAREER

AVG = .307

OBP = .390

SLG = .579

CAREER W/ RISP

AVG = .304

OBP = .404

SLG = .555

I hate the Yankees but A-Rod is the man. Hes the best overall player in baseball. I just hope he breaks Bonds' all time HR record. Would be nice to have a clean player break the biggest record in the sport who is currently being held by someone who was juicing up for years. Would definitely bring back some integrity.

Petit and Mussina are about done. Wang has his moments but shouldnt be a #1 guy which is what he will be if they dont get Sabathia. Still not sold on Chamberlain either. The middle relief has been terrible hasnt it? I thought they had been struggling there. And Rivera is coming to the end of his career. The AL east is looking like its going to be dominated by the Rays and Sox for a few years to come unless the Yanks do something big.

Petite is still a decent pitcher... and he owns the highest post all star break winning percentage of like any pitcher in history.

mussina is having a stellar yer

wang had 19 wins in the past 2 seasons, and is arguably one of the most dominant pitchers of the 2000's

the middle releif has been much better in recent weeks and was extremely good since the allstar break

mariano is still pretty much lights out as a straight up closer.. he might not have as many saves as other pitchers.. but thats because the yanks are rarely in save opp positions because of their historically over powering offense... but hes still arguably the best closer in baseball today.

CAREER

AVG = .307

OBP = .390

SLG = .579

CAREER W/ RISP

AVG = .304

OBP = .404

SLG = .555

The only thing I take umbrage to is your inordinate amount of information proving me mostly wrong. Well that and you shouldn't win MVPs on last place teams so he's 3 MVPs should be two, not 4. (Taking in to account the one you added)

I'll give you the MVP argument.

I think A-Rod gets way more of a bad rap than he should, especially in "clutch" situations and the playoffs.

Edit: Also, I don't think it was an inordinate amount of info to prove my point. Just compared his career #'s to his splits with RISP.

Guest baseball

Fact of the matter is A-Rod's worst OPS+ over the past 12 or 13 years was 120 when he was 21 years old. That is historically great.

I don't subscribe to sample size statistics like AVG w/ Runners in Scoring Position. They aren't indicative of his overall value. He's got a 168 OPS+ this year, which I'm guessing is one of if not the best in the majors.

He's got an .844 career OPS in the post season. Not phenominal, but great nonetheless when you factor in the level of pitching being faced.

All this A-Rod not being clutch stuff is media fabrication. When you've got a 168 OPS+, you are clutch. You are helping your team win way more often than not. End of story.

unless he has a freak injury he'll obliterate bond's record.. i mean he's still got potentially 10 years left playing? especially if he stays in the AL and can eventually DH. I'd save 800 home runs isnt far fetched for him to hit

At his current rate, he'd only need around 6 years to get to 800.

That's mind-boggling.

I don't subscribe to sample size statistics like AVG w/ Runners in Scoring Position. They aren't indicative of his overall value. He's got a 168 OPS+ this year, which I'm guessing is one of if not the best in the majors.

I'd agree in a lot of cases, but by the time you've played as long as A-Rod has and you've amassed over 2500 plate appearances with RISP, I'd say those numbers are legitimate.