MLB Discussion

Looks like the Red Sox are gonna sign Jenks.

They win at the offseason this year.

Yeah on paper they always have a decent team..

I just came on to post this as i got a text on my phone from weei.com hahah

any white sox fans give a true in depth on jenks? i just know what ive seen when he plays the bosox

the white sox have been trying to unload jenks for 2 and a half years now. he comes into spring training overweight every single year. it would have been nice to get something back for him if we would have been able to trade him instead of just letting him go, but whatever. it shows you how much we really cared about him in this organization to let him leave with no certifiable closer waiting in the wings. we have Matt Thornton, but he's got lots to work on, too. and he's a lefty, so we'll see how that works out this year.

our bullpen is going to be our biggest issue this year, so the fact that we didn't even put up a fight to try to re-sign jenks should tell you just what kind of pitcher he has become. and 2 years/12 million for a set-up man is a lot if you ask me. especially considering last year he was limited to like 50 innings because of injury. also, last year he had his worst year ERA-wise (take that for whatever you think it's worth).

every single time he comes into a game, he walks somebody and/or gives up a hit. his first couple years, every time he came in he was 1-2-3 lights out. but the past few seasons, every time he comes in, he makes you sweat. every time he takes the mound you wonder what he's going to do. that's not a good thing for a closer.

since he can't keep his weight down, his velocity has dropped significantly and he has to rely on his other pitches which aren't nearly as good as what his fastball was. he used to throw 100+ with consistency. add that to what was a nasty hook, and he was damn near unhittable. but bring his fastball back down to earth topping out at 94, and he's much less intimidating to face.

if boston can somehow convince him to shed about 30 pounds this offseason and either work to get his 3rd and 4th pitches respectable or just scrap them altogether, he may be decent for you next year. but i wouldn't hold my breath on that.

i thought of that possibility, too. i can't see them thinking that jenks is an upgrade from him, though. if they do, they really didn't do their research on bobby. i just think they're trying to get to a point where they have enough good, serviceable arms in the bullpen that they only need their starters (who are almost all injury-prone, or at the very least aging) to go 6 innings every day.

I don't think they are too bad off. They still have sabathia, hughes and burnett. I think Greinke would melt under the pressure of New York.

burnett really isnt that good.. they have CC and Hughes, thats really it. it could be a rough season for the yankees

and Hughes has really only had 1 good complete season at this point. Id say he's still unproven.

Also about Papelbon, there have been rumors going around since before the Winter Meetings that they were looking to trade him. Not that Jenks is the "answer" for them but signing him would make a Papelbon trade more likely.

Hughes is going to be a solid 4th type starter at worst i would say.. remember with a lineup that averages the most runs in baseball you don't need to be totally lights out.

burnett is skitzo.... he's either total lights out, or hes a trainwreck... unfortunately he's a headcase and you never know which one you're getting.

the yanks have two big prospect pitchers, and i'd imagine Nova at least will be in the rotation in the spring..

and the yanks are now after soriano.. which would give them a disgusting tail end of the bullpen... that would literally knock 2-3 innings off every game.

i'm not horribly worried... i wanna see the yanks give some of these young kids a shot, get some life into the org.

now that the Red Sox have signed Booby Jenks, their payroll is HIGHER than the Yankees.

There's a lot of controversy over this. Red Sox had 50 million come off of their payroll this year, and were 40 million behind the Yankees in payroll in 2010. Also, right now Cot's (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/) is reporting the Yankees to be at 178MM in 2011 for obligations before THIS off-season and Boston to be at 135MM. Obviously this doesn't include Crawford and all the bullpen pieces they recently got, as well as arbitration raises, but all things considered, I just don't see how this is possible.

Wood at 1 year, 1.5 mil is an awesome deal. No risk, lot's of reward possible.

The .7 ERA with the Yankees was luck and a small sample size, but the 1.23 whip points to the fact that he was pitching like he was back in Chicago--3.5 to 4.0 ERA and tons of strikeouts. Wish the tigers had signed him and Putz instead of Benoit.

Also, love seeing Minnesota lose it's relievers to other teams. Any word on Joe Nathan's health?