MLB Discussion

I appreciate it. I should've just googled. Anyway, guys say dumb shit when they should just own up to poor fielding at times. Both teams had errors, but only the Dodgers had trouble in the infield... The Braves just couldn't throw or catch the ball.

Oh the Braves defense is terrible (Garcia has like 15 errors this season). That's what makes the story laughable.

Oh the Braves defense is terrible (Garcia has like 15 errors this season). That's what makes the story laughable.

Roberts' quote is pretty bad. Just say "we had a tough time with the infield" and move on. No need to compare fields or say that people talk about it. Oh well, now we wait for the Braves to come to LA.

On 5/1/2016 at 7:52 AM, whoshotthefrog said:

I personally don't feel they need a different uniform for every special holiday.  That being said, I kind of like those Mother's Day/Father's Day jerseys and hats.  

13 minutes ago, texan4life said:

@NapalmBrain I could go either way on the curse of the goat.  If it continued through these next years which are going to prime years for them, then the curse would most definitely have to be real

I just like to see the fable continue but they are the best team in baseball right now, if they can stay healthy they are a probable for WS champions this season. That run differential is insane, and that rotation has some serious depth.

3 hours ago, stl_ben said:

My thought as a non-Cubs fan ....let them win one.  Get the dumb curse out of here so in the future they just have to blame their collapses on the bad team instead of a goat.

There is no curse, asshat. 

The cubs have sent solid teams to the post season in the past 15 years. Are you telling me those postseason teams were "bad" because they didn't make it to the Series?  Were they the best/hottest team in the playoffs? Obviously not, but to say because they weren't the hottest team in the postseason they were a bad team is horseshit.

The Cards barely finished above .500 in 2006 and won the Series. Case in point, they were clearly not the best team in MLB the 2006 season (13th best record), but they got hot at the perfect time and won the World Series.

What next? Are you going to tell me the Cardinals struggles this season are due to the absence of your third base coach? Or maybe a pitcher's performance is best determined by their win-loss record?

The Cubs series against the Mets was an embarassment last year as is that one of the oldest teams can't win a WS in a century. You can be mad at the 06 Cardinals for winning with what you view as a subpar team but they had Tony La Russa, and good managing wins WS. The Giants didn't have the talent of the other teams outside of pitching, and won 3 WS for similar reasons. The Cubs stand a good chance this year because Joe Maddon also shares that attribute.

On 5/7/2016 at 7:16 PM, NapalmBrain said:

The Cubs series against the Mets was an embarassment last year as is that one of the oldest teams can't win a WS in a century. You can be mad at the 06 Cardinals for winning with what you view as a subpar team but they had Tony La Russa, and good managing wins WS. The Giants didn't have the talent of the other teams outside of pitching, and won 3 WS for similar reasons. The Cubs stand a good chance this year because Joe Maddon also shares that attribute.

On 5/7/2016 at 7:47 PM, stl_ben said:

Man Cubs fans even get upset when you say you hope they win the series?!

Regarding my above rant, I had an issue with this specific comment: " they just have to blame their collapses on the bad team instead of a goat."

The Mets got hot last year at the same time the Cubs didn't. One 7 game series decided our fate. That doesn't determine a "bad" team or a "good" one. We were on Cloud 9 for having had such success earlier than anticipated. Making the postseason by winning a sudden death playoff game against Cole at Pitt, and then following that up by owning the Cards in the postseason was way more than this Cubs fan could have hoped for.

Regarding the comment that "good managing wins WS"...  Good talent makes a good manager.

I never said I was "mad" that the Cards won in '06, so that point was clearly missed as well. THE POSTSEASON IS A CRAP SHOOT, and that team is a perfect example. Don't believe me? I'll turn this over to the bible of sabermetrics, a fangraphs article from yesterday.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-cubs-look-like-a-perfect-baseball-team/

Of the 8 teams categorized as "No Weakness" teams from 1985-2015, do you have a guess as to how many of these teams went on to win the World Series?  :)

The Dodgers have had talent for years but haven't won since '88 and that boiled down to shit managing. Mattingly is a chump, and Roberts could take years to come in to form if ever. You can play good all year, and still fall apart in post season it's about longevity and being clutch under pressure. I mean sabermetrics are important, but numbers can still fail you. Clayton Kershaw on paper is one of the best pitchers and always collapses in post season, so does David Price. Which is why despite numbers I wouldn't want those guys on my team in the playoffs. Also it's baseball, that's one of the perks we can just talk shit and say whatever and it doesn't really matter

2 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

The Dodgers have had talent for years but haven't won since '88 and that boiled down to shit managing. Mattingly is a chump, and Roberts could take years to come in to form if ever. You can play good all year, and still fall apart in post season it's about longevity and being clutch under pressure. I mean sabermetrics are important, but numbers can still fail you. Clayton Kershaw on paper is one of the best pitchers and always collapses in post season, so does David Price. Which is why despite numbers I wouldn't want those guys on my team in the playoffs. Also it's baseball, that's one of the perks we can just talk shit and say whatever and it doesn't really matter

You state you can play good all year...a whopping 162 games...and still fall apart in the postseason because of longevity?  162 game performance IS longevity. A single 5 or 7 game series is a crap shoot. 

I'd take Kershaw as the ace of my postseason roster in a heartbeat, and I guarantee you every MLB manager would say the same thing. 

http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2015/09/20/clayton-kershaw-judged-postseason-record/

Are you familiar with .babip?

11 hours ago, Stravinsky said:

You state you can play good all year...a whopping 162 games...and still fall apart in the postseason because of longevity?  162 game performance IS longevity. A single 5 or 7 game series is a crap shoot. 

I'd take Kershaw as the ace of my postseason roster in a heartbeat, and I guarantee you every MLB manager would say the same thing. 

http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2015/09/20/clayton-kershaw-judged-postseason-record/

Are you familiar with .babip?

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs.aspx?playerid=2036&stat=babip&split=base&time=season

had to google it, seems like his was much lower 3 years ago. He may be this ace in the regular season, but the guy is a bum in post-season 1-5 career, Dodgers can't even win a pennant with all that money spent. It's not a crap shoot post-season, there is an extreme amount of pressure and you are up against the other hottest teams in baseball, cooler heads prevail sometimes. I'll be a homer here and say I'd take Bumgarner over Kershaw any day, keep your cy youngs I want the guy who pitches a 0.25 era in the world series and wins the games that matter and doesn't fold when you need him