MLB Discussion

ugh, David Ortiz is retiring after this coming season, and luckily they are playing Atlanta (which is close to me), anyone here have season tickets to the braves that would maybe sell me a game? PM me if so, thanks dudes.

Tickets are going to be so cheap. I know the Red Sox will bring a lot of snowbirds to the game but I can't imagine you'll have trouble getting a nice seat.

• 2 weeks later...

How many of Price's years will he still be pitching like an ace? I'd bet on 2 great seasons, 2 good seasons, and 3 where his contract looks like an albatross. Good for him on getting paid.

Think you are projecting him to fall off a little quicker than he really will. From an athletic standpoint, players peak around 27. From a WAR standpoint, it's about 30 (meaning that factors like experience can be more important than just physical ability). The big dropoff really starts around 35. I'd guess 4 great seasons (I'll say ERA under 3.3), 2 good ones (ERA under 3.8), and 1 bad (ERA up in the 4s).

I think that 6'6" frame will help him hold up longer as well. Look at the guys who somewhat recently were able to throw pretty hard late in their career -- Ryan, Johnson, Clemens, Smoltz, Schilling, Carleton. All of them were at least 6'2"

Oh god where's Ry run and hide everyone

known fan expected to have *reaction

except i don't. i don't like the guy, mostly based on past allegiances/rivalries, and what i've seen in the post season. but he's also supposed to be the ultimate clubhouse guy, which.. cool? aside from "lol chkn n burr" that hasn't really been an issue.

i'm mostly just hoping he's the first of 2 big signings. if you're going to be serious about your pitching staff and getting ortiz another ring on his way out, then just go all in.

Im really hoping the Mets can pull in at least one quality bat. Zobrist would be great but he is looking to get paid. 

Zobrist is a good player but he's 34. Whoever meets his asking price is going to be overpaying. There are much better bats on the market. His biggest strength is his versatility, anyway.