MLB Discussion

I'm high on Zobrist and you all may think I'm nuts. I don't care how old he is at this moment. he can produce just as equally as anyone we can get since mega stars will never happen. if we let him go for $60 mil seems crazy but hey, we once signed Gil Meche to a $55 mil deal. (largest in franchise history).

I'm high on Zobrist and you all may think I'm nuts. I don't care how old he is at this moment. he can produce just as equally as anyone we can get since mega stars will never happen. if we let him go for $60 mil seems crazy but hey, we once signed Gil Meche to a $55 mil deal. (largest in franchise history).

That Meche contract... woof

Samardzija I think will do well in SF, and I'd consider that a great deal considering how young he is. I'm thinking our rotation is going to be Bumgarner, Samardzija, Heston, Cain and Peavy, maybe they would put Heston or Peavy as a middle starter or backup if they resign Leake.

How would you rank order these deals if you were a GM?

Price (30) - 7 years, 217m

Greinke (32) - 6 years, 206m

Zimmermann (29) - 5 years, 110m

Lackey (37) - 2 years, 32m

Samardzija (30) - 5 years, 90m

Happ (33) - 3 years, 36m

Add anyone else you may want to throw in there

Zimmerman is head and shoulders the best value, if that's the confirmation you were looking for

I look at the deals by the yearly amount, and how many years I think they have left. Price is the worst on that list, which sucks because im a Sox fan, and I agree with catalina that the Zimmermann deal is the best one there.

Price - 31 mil a year

Greinke - 34.3 mil a year

Zimmermann - 22 mil

Lackey - 16 mil

Samardzija - 18 mil

Happ - 12 mil

That Meche contract... woof

If you remove the fact that Meche had the biggest contract in Royals history, which speaks for why that team was terrible for so long, the Meche deal wasnt that bad. He ended with a WAR of 10.1 over the four years he pitched there, and with 1 WAR averaging around 8 Mil now, if you say it was 5 or 6 mil back then, he earned that contract.

Zimmerman is head and shoulders the best value, if that's the confirmation you were looking for

I wasn't trying to hype my team as much as to make the point that all of the contracts are crazy so it's pretty easy to say "that's too much money" when looking at them on an island. What's the alternative? Sign a 37 year old if you only want to go a couple years? Sign a 33 year old like Happ who's been pretty average for about the last 5 years? 5 years to a younger guy like Samardzija coming off a bad year and hope he can turn it around? Be the first to invest $100m in a pitcher with a Tommy John surgery who's fastball has been dipping like the Tigers? Or just pay up for a guy with no question marks not like Price and hope that age doesn't catch up to him too bad?

I'd rank the Price deal as better than Zimmermann. Just me.