MLB Discussion

I just felt there was a lot more going on the first day, everyone was waiting to see where Zobrist went. I also thought the yanks trade was stupid, getting rid of Castro was a mistake, Zobrist is a gamble for 4 years at 35 and Castro is young (I only mention this cause zobrist is taking his spot?) Also the Braves trade was zzzz unless you consider the diamondbacks getting snubbed the interesting part, it's not like the Braves are going to have a 2016 run

I just felt there was a lot more going on the first day, everyone was waiting to see where Zobrist went. I also thought the yanks trade was stupid, getting rid of Castro was a mistake, Zobrist is a gamble for 4 years at 35 and Castro is young (I only mention this cause zobrist is taking his spot?) Also the Braves trade was zzzz unless you consider the diamondbacks getting snubbed the interesting part, it's not like the Braves are going to have a 2016 run

Castro sucks and his WAR is only ok because a ton of SS suck. Paid too much and thus they basically had to let him go for nothing just to dump the salary. Young doesn't mean much anymore when a guy has 5 years big league experience. You pretty much know what he is. Used to hear that all the time about Porcello. Pretty glad we didn't bite on that.

Zobrist is a much better player. I'd rather have a guy who's been great for a long time on the tail end than a 25 year old who's never been that good.

Castro sucks and his WAR is only ok because a ton of SS suck. Paid too much and thus they basically had to let him go for nothing just to dump the salary. Young doesn't mean much anymore when a guy has 5 years big league experience. You pretty much know what he is. Used to hear that all the time about Porcello. Pretty glad we didn't bite on that.

Zobrist is a much better player. I'd rather have a guy who's been great for a long time on the tail end than a 25 year old who's never been that good.

fair enough, I thought he looked good and had potential

I believe it was 4 years, $18m for a guy coming off a couple seasons averaging about 6 WAR.

I may have some of those details wrong, as it's fairly hard to google "Ben Zobrist contract" and not get everything to come back about the Cubs contract.

But if my details aren't too far off that contract goes FAR beyond "signing for less to win." No one takes 3x less than market (or something like that) to win.

I think Zobrist is great, I'm just weary of signing anyone at 35 to a 4 year deal. I'm not debating he is better than Castro, I just didn't realize Castro had played as many seasons as he did already, and thought he might come into better form. I think the Cubs are going to be really good next season, I could easily see them taking a WS title within 2 years under Maddon

I'm in fact jealous, I wanted Zobrist for my boys. We even tried to court him a week or 2 ago, and toured him around AT&T. It was my understanding he didn't want to go the west coast with his family on the east coast, but I'm sure other factors played in

He also wanted to play 2nd which Panik had covered pretty well for the Giants.

I believe it was 4 years, $18m for a guy coming off a couple seasons averaging about 6 WAR.

I may have some of those details wrong, as it's fairly hard to google "Ben Zobrist contract" and not get everything to come back about the Cubs contract.

But if my details aren't too far off that contract goes FAR beyond "signing for less to win." No one takes 3x less than market (or something like that) to win.

Correct. It was 4/$18 mill with options in '14/'15.