MLB Discussion

Details of possible Manny deal

Posted by Jayson Stark

Officials from teams around the sport are beginning to hear details about the structure of the Manny Ramirez deal. According to one of them, the three players the Red Sox are seeking from the Marlins for Ramirez are Jeremy Hermida, pitcher Ryan Tucker and big-time outfield prospect Mike Stanton. However, the two sides also have discussed substituting Josh Willingham for Hermida.

this is what i have heard too....i have also heard they then ship mike stanton to the pirates along with someone else for jason bay...who knows, the next 19 or so hours should be fun, it always is

so awesome to see baseball love on vc...especially from mediocre, awesome stuff man

either way, manny won't be on the sox after this season. dude has always had the drama surrounding him. I've had a love hate thing with him, he's a great ball player, really good, but his personality and work ethic have always bothered me. it will totally hurt the line up to have him go, but when you tell all your teammates you're just going to lay down the rest of the season, I mean, c'mon. he's pulled this before, and for once tito and the front office aren't making excuses for him. maybe it will be like when nomar left, the sox could prosper, but I don't know, there will be a big gap in the lineup.

well how about other factors... like who's in front of, and in back of you in the lineup.

you can pitch around a single great hitter... but if you gotta face manny/ortiz, or a-rod/giambi, or any other power combo.. or in some cases trio... you gotta pitch to somebody.. and that player's stats are going to inflate because of the protection

I dont think anyone is pitching around Giambi anymore haha

despite injuries he's 7th in the AL in homeruns... hes still a guy you gotta watch out for.. not to mention hes clutch as all hell.

Angels just dominated the Sox AGAIN. Swept them in 2 straight series. The Sox are the only team Im really worried about. Angels usually have no problem with the Yanks and even tho the Rays are getting better I think the Angels can beat them. Not worried about a single NL team if they make it to the WS.

We Have A Deal, Redux?

by Kevin Goldstein

Maybe, maybe not. Here’s the thing, I’ve heard the Manny to Florida deal in about five different variations, and if you add in the variations from Will and John, it probably gets into the teens. My best source has it as (and this is somewhat simpler than others):

Mike Stanton (Low-A slugger), Ryan Tucker and Jeremy Hermida go to Pittsburgh

Jason Bay and John Grabow go to Boston

Manny Ramirez goes to Florida, with Boston paying every cent of what’s still owed to him this year.

Who’s right? Who’s wrong? I don’t know, but my guess is nobody nails this one until it’s done.

if that's the deal, i would be happy. at least on 2 of the 3 prospects. Tucker is the one i haven't heard of, so not sure on him. the other 2 seem to be really good though.

Guest baseball

^ ^ ^

That's not a bad deal for all sides. Florida and Boston always have the creative deals going with their front offices too, so that seems plausible.

Re: Manny

Here's a story I was told about Manny once. My cousin played a lot of baseball up through college and knew a lot of connected people, like scouts and stuff. One of his friend's dad or uncle was a scout and he told this story about Manny Ramirez.

So one time he was out scouting Manny in high school and Manny comes up to the plate. Stands there with the bat on his shoulder and takes like a 5 pitch walk without ever moving the bat off his shoulder.

He looks over at another scout there and says something like "Why didn't he swing at any of those pitches, a couple of them were right there?" The other scout says, "Ohh...sometimes Manny doesn't feel like playing, looks like it's one of those days, try seeing him another time." This was in high school.

Manny's a great hitter, but the guy has always been all about ME ME ME. Spoiled brat since the beginning.

Guest baseball

Some updated news...

Jayson Stark of ESPN.com quotes "an official" from one of the three teams involved in the rumored Manny Ramirez swap as saying that the odds of a deal are "50-50."

Stark reports that Marlins outfield prospect Mike Stanton is not in the trade "although Boston asked for him" and notes that despite previous indications John Grabow would actually be headed to Florida rather than Boston.

Guest baseball

That's an interesting one. Not sure where Griffey fits on the White Sox. Seems to me they are pretty set in the OF, 1B, and DH. Not sure if playing part-time is going to fly with Griffey and he can veto the trade.

well, it looks like griffey's going to the chisox. they won't say who we're going to get though, which is kind of getting on my nerves right about now.

Griffey is one of my all time favorite players. He needs to come back to AL so he can DH. His career will last a lot longer and he could possibly hit 700 if he comes back to the AL. That guy would be well ahead of Bonds if he could have stayed healthy. Hes missed about 5 total season with the the time he's been hurt. Most of that time he was in the prime of his career too. One of, if not the best swings ever.

Guest baseball

Quentin, Dye, Swisher, Konerko, Thome..

Where does Griffey play? Guess they might bench Konerko and put Swisher at first, leaving room for Griffey in the OF. I don't see Griffey DH'ing over Thome.

Quentin, Dye, Swisher, Konerko, Thome..

Where does Griffey play? Guess they might bench Konerko and put Swisher at first, leaving room for Griffey in the OF. I don't see Griffey DH'ing over Thome.

I was just thinking the same thing. Griffey really shouldn't be in center, he's knees just wouldn't hold up well. Dye plays right, where Griffey could play and doesn't Quentin play left? If so, Griff has no place to go unless Thome and he switch of DH'ing something I just can't see.

I wonder is he was willing to take a reduced role for a shot at a ring?

I agree with all you guys... he doesn't really "fit" on the current roster. CF is a bad idea, for injury reasons.

Will be interesting to see how they utilize him. Maybe everyone will be rotating in and out of DH, the OF spots, etc. I can see Konerko being the odd man out.

Updating the Manny deal:

Apparently the plan the Marlins had was to trade for Manny and immediately ship him to the Yankees. It was about to get done last night, but Cashman backed out.

Also, my friend says he has a "strong feeling" the Marlins will land Manny before the deadline.

Edit: Gammons is reporting the deal is close to dead.