Paul McCartney - McCartney 3

43 minutes ago, youngwonton said:

Genuinely curious - when you make a combative comment like this, what are you hoping to achieve? Are you genuinely interested in engaging in discussion or do you just enjoy being rude behind an anonymous username and feeling superior?

He’s obviously more of a Lennon guy. 

5 hours ago, youngwonton said:

Genuinely curious - when you make a combative comment like this, what are you hoping to achieve? Are you genuinely interested in engaging in discussion or do you just enjoy being rude behind an anonymous username and feeling superior?

Let me know if the more limited one sounds better 🤙

2 hours ago, youngwonton said:

You're an adult, right? It might be a good idea to modify your behavior to reflect that fact. I wish you nothing but success in that endeavor.

Hey man, I just wanna know how good the most limited variant of an album of remixes by the second to worst beatle sounds

Edited by holyvacantsholyhell

15 hours ago, youngwonton said:

Cool.

35 minutes ago, holyvacantsholyhell said:

Dude, did you decide to get the variant you like or the more limited one? We’re dying to know. If you keep responding to this thrilling dialogue so will I 🤷‍♂️

Now don't you two see that you're in love with each other? You're running around out there looking for something that's not even there when everything you dream of is right here.

Edited by deftbarley

52 minutes ago, youngwonton said:

I bought one copy, the webstore splatter. But apparently expressing interest in the limited nature of an item on a message board dedicated to the discussion of collection of said items is considered deserving of middle school bully-esque mockery by some people (or one person) who I'm positive would not behave the same way without the veil of anonymity. 

For clarity’s sake, you weren’t getting ribbed because you’re drawn to a rarer variant, or because you’re interested in this release.  Your “struggle” – and not you specifically – found itself ridiculed because it really is pretty fucking silly.  I wouldn’t take it so personally since you’re hardly the first person to get blasted on VC for it, but that internal debate is a meme because it implies that your variant choice is more of an investment than something you’ll personally enjoy.  Muh rarity, etc.  It’s not limited to this release, nor exclusive to your own mindset, but it’s definitely an eye-roll when users are actively sweating which variant may be worth an extra $10 on Discogs down the road.  It’s why labels will make the safest and least appealing variant the rarest, and the most enticing ones common.  They’re banking off variant collectors and conflicted hype beasts who need to own the rarest color-way.  9 times out of 10 that’s for the potential resale value, or just a weird feeling of satisfaction / superiority that comes with having the most elusive edition reside on your shelf.

That used to be me; my hands aren’t clean from that.  I used to spring for whatever the most limited edition happened to be, and would sometimes supplement that with a variant that felt like the best fit.  But I’ve been buying vinyl long enough that I’ve seen – far too often – that it doesn’t really matter, or that the inverse is true.  I’ve scored some incredible deals on the rarest variant of a release I slept on, years later, after hype has died down.  Sometimes cheaper than what any other standard copies are being sold for.

At the end of the day, if the record is being purchased for my own enjoyment, and I’m going to be the one who looks at it and spins it on my turntable, I’m going to spring for whatever I like best.  Whether that’s the /200 1st press or the /2,000 3rd press.  But I also buy with deliberation and hold on tight to 99% of what I buy, these days.  Settling for something less desirable (but rarer) seems really goofy to me, so of course that’s going to get some 2¢ online.  Especially with the veil of anonymity.  Welcome to VC.

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

For clarity’s sake, you weren’t getting ribbed because you’re drawn to a rarer variant, or because you’re interested in this release.  Your “struggle” – and not you specifically – found itself ridiculed because it really is pretty fucking silly.  I wouldn’t take it so personally since you’re hardly the first person to get blasted on VC for it, but that internal debate is a meme because it implies that your variant choice is more of an investment than something you’ll personally enjoy.  Muh rarity, etc.  It’s not limited to this release, nor exclusive to your own mindset, but it’s definitely an eye-roll when users are actively sweating which variant may be worth an extra $10 on Discogs down the road.  It’s why labels will make the safest and least appealing variant the rarest, and the most enticing ones common.  They’re banking off variant collectors and conflicted hype beasts who need to own the rarest color-way.  9 times out of 10 that’s for the potential resale value, or just a weird feeling of satisfaction / superiority that comes with having the most elusive edition reside on your shelf.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:14
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:05

Playback Rate

1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track

Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

That used to be me; my hands aren’t clean from that.  I used to spring for whatever the most limited edition happened to be, and would sometimes supplement that with a variant that felt like the best fit.  But I’ve been buying vinyl long enough that I’ve seen – far too often – that it doesn’t really matter, or that the inverse is true.  I’ve scored some incredible deals on the rarest variant of a release I slept on, years later, after hype has died down.  Sometimes cheaper than what any other standard copies are being sold for.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:05
/
Loaded: 0.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time -0:14

Playback Rate

1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track

Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement: 0:06

At the end of the day, if the record is being purchased for my own enjoyment, and I’m going to be the one who looks at it and spins it on my turntable, I’m going to spring for whatever I like best.  Whether that’s the /200 1st press or the /2,000 3rd press.  But I also buy with deliberation and hold on tight to 99% of what I buy, these days.  Settling for something less desirable (but rarer) seems really goofy to me, so of course that’s going to get some 2¢ online.  Especially with the veil of anonymity.  Welcome to VC.

Cool.

Edited by youngwonton

19 minutes ago, youngwonton said:

I don't take it personally at all, I just really dislike people behaving like douchebags anonymously on the internet. I've been lurking VC and occasionally posting for awhile now, my limited posting mostly due to the fact that there is a subset of snobbery and toxicity that exists among people who collect vinyl that is maybe a notch above Star Wars fans who can't wait to tell you how much they hate The Last Jedi and refer to Rey as a "Mary Sue." I cannot stand unprovoked anonymous internet douchebaggery and my initial response to him was completely genuine - what does a person get out of that? You're essentially reverting to a state of juvenile mockery in the hopes that I'll bite so that you can get a microdose of dopamine and a fleeting feeling of superiority. Cool. 
I don't subscribe to this idea that "you're not the first person to be ribbed, it's common here, it's not a big deal, just roll with it, etc." That anonymous internet snark that so many people engage in so casually is rude and gross and rooted in insecurity, and when I find myself the target of such behavior, I merely hold a mirror up to it. That kind of "you're doing it wrong" gatekeeping can deter people from enjoying a thing that they like, and it's just unnecessary. It's not that far removed from Gamergate or neckbeards on Twitter telling people that they're not "real" anime fans because they only watch shows X, Y, and Z. The impulse behind this dude's comments and those things are the same - "I disagree with the way you're choosing to enjoy this hobby and I'm going to belittle you for it." And the fact that he continued to engage in that same kind of repetitive troll behavior doesn't do him any favors in my estimation of him either. I even gave him an out when I just said "Cool." and he still kept going.
I try to make it a habit of really reading comments I write on the internet before I post them and asking myself, "Do I really need to post this?" And probably 90% of the time, I just erase it and move on. It's just obnoxious. This back and forth with this dude is in that 10% and it's honestly embarrassing. We're all adults, and it's dumb.

If I have a choice between a more limited variant or one I like more, I always go with the one I like - case in point this record, or the recent Yellowcard repress. But that conversation regarding rarity is inherent to collecting anything - for a lot of people, yes, that exclusivity and seeing the volatility of the resale market of a particularly rare item you own is part of the fun, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. And if in the moment of posting links to this particular release, I tossed off some comment about being conflicted between two different variants, who cares? It's myopic to assume that one comment I made is reflective of my general collecting behavior.
With a couple exceptions, I'm also not a variant hound, and I've even sold rare variants at cost after buying a newer variant that I liked more. I have no interest in flipping, but it's still fun to know the value of a rare record you own. At least for me it is. If it's not fun for other people, that's totally cool, and I don't feel the need to belittle people who enjoy a hobby differently than I do. And if you disagree with the way someone is enjoying something, you can express that without, y'know, being a dick.

I guess I'm too jaded by the internet, because from its genesis I believe that anonymity and toxicity are unfortunately synonymous.  And I just don't see it changing.  VC, Facebook, Reddit, Instagram, Twitter... 90% of these folks are tough guys who roll up their sleeves in a Comment section, but would be caught mumbling and gazing downward while anxiously caressing their bald spot or beer gut, in the heat of an "IRL debate".  (Or, equally likely, hiding behind mom & dad since they're not legally old enough to create a social media account in the first place.)  I get where your head is at – I really do – but it's such a lofty ambition.  "Be a part of the change you want to see" is a beautiful concept on paper but it's just not happening on any message board, ever.  Especially on VC.

I'm with you in that I backspace 90% of the shit I initially draft up and consider posting.  You can call it elitism or gatekeeping or whatever else you'd like, but these kind of discussions – hazing 😱 – are just a staple of the board, for better or worse.  It ain't that deep.  And just to set the record straight, holyvacants is stubborn as shit.  As am I.  We've gotten in arguments and taken jabs at one another over the years, but we've also worked out sales and hooked one another up.  I'm not trying to vouch for him or rush to his aid, but you're pushing one another's buttons over him calling a struggle stupid.  A lot of his responses on the board are concise, negative, and posted in attempts to get a laugh or push some buttons.  He didn't even call you stupid.  He didn't write "How is this a struggle?  Are you some kind of dumb shit?  Go with the one you like best."  I think it was pretty tame in comparison to a lot of what he writes, but that's just my take.

Like I said, I get what you're saying with your post.  I really do.  But this board and its tendencies aren't going to be changing anytime soon.  There's always going to be snide jabs and jokes made at the cost of others.  Some are going to push users into snapping back, egos will be bruised, and petty squabbling will carry out for a lot longer than it needs to be.  Such is the ebb and flow of VC.  If you were hoping for someone to read your post about the internal struggles you were facing, and respond with "ikr, you said exactly what I was thinking!  Take my upvote!  I'll probably just buy both because I'm hopeless 😂😂😂"... then I think you're spending your time and energy on the wrong community.  That's not a shot at you.  Just a genuine suggestion, because I know I'd be exhausted if I felt like I always had to be on edge or ready to argue anytime I wanted to voice my thoughts in a community.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I guess I'm too jaded by the internet, because from its genesis I believe that anonymity and toxicity are unfortunately synonymous.  And I just don't see it changing.  VC, Facebook, Reddit, Instagram, Twitter... 90% of these folks are tough guys who roll up their sleeves in a Comment section, but would be caught mumbling and gazing downward while anxiously caressing their bald spot or beer gut, in the heat of an "IRL debate".  (Or, equally likely, hiding behind mom & dad since they're not legally old enough to create a social media account in the first place.)  I get where your head is at – I really do – but it's such a lofty ambition.  "Be a part of the change you want to see" is a beautiful concept on paper but it's just not happening on any message board, ever.  Especially on VC.

I'm with you in that I backspace 90% of the shit I initially draft up and consider posting.  You can call it elitism or gatekeeping or whatever else you'd like, but these kind of discussions – hazing 😱 – are just a staple of the board, for better or worse.  It ain't that deep.  And just to set the record straight, holyvacants is stubborn as shit.  As am I.  We've gotten in arguments and taken jabs at one another over the years, but we've also worked out sales and hooked one another up.  I'm not trying to vouch for him or rush to his aid, but you're pushing one another's buttons over him calling a struggle stupid.  A lot of his responses on the board are concise, negative, and posted in attempts to get a laugh or push some buttons.  He didn't even call you stupid.  He didn't write "How is this a struggle?  Are you some kind of dumb shit?  Go with the one you like best."  I think it was pretty tame in comparison to a lot of what he writes, but that's just my take.

Like I said, I get what you're saying with your post.  I really do.  But this board and its tendencies aren't going to be changing anytime soon.  There's always going to be snide jabs and jokes made at the cost of others.  Some are going to push users into snapping back, egos will be bruised, and petty squabbling will carry out for a lot longer than it needs to be.  Such is the ebb and flow of VC.  If you were hoping for someone to read your post about the internal struggles you were facing, and respond with "ikr, you said exactly what I was thinking!  Take my upvote!  I'll probably just buy both because I'm hopeless 😂😂😂"... then I think you're spending your time and energy on the wrong community.  That's not a shot at you.  Just a genuine suggestion, because I know I'd be exhausted if I felt like I always had to be on edge or ready to argue anytime I wanted to voice my thoughts in a community.

Cool.

Edited by youngwonton

11 minutes ago, youngwonton said:

some dude decided to be a dick to me for no reason, and I just reflected that back to him, and will simply continue to do so as long as he continues to be a dick.

Knowing holyvacants, I think you guys may be here for a while, haha.  Not trying to stoke the flame or encourage it, but I will say that I find it more engaging and amusing to read than this release and all of its variants.

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

Derek: saying what I say, but like, not a dick about it since... oh idk 2019 or so

2 hours ago, youngwonton said:

I don't take it personally at all, I just really dislike people behaving like douchebags anonymously on the internet. I've been lurking VC and occasionally posting for awhile now, my limited posting mostly due to the fact that there is a subset of snobbery and toxicity that exists among people who collect vinyl that is maybe a notch above Star Wars fans who can't wait to tell you how much they hate The Last Jedi and refer to Rey as a "Mary Sue." I cannot stand unprovoked anonymous internet douchebaggery and my initial response to him was completely genuine - what does a person get out of that? You're essentially reverting to a state of juvenile mockery in the hopes that I'll bite so that you can get a microdose of dopamine and a fleeting feeling of superiority. Cool. 
I don't subscribe to this idea that "you're not the first person to be ribbed, it's common here, it's not a big deal, just roll with it, etc." That anonymous internet snark that so many people engage in so casually is rude and gross and rooted in insecurity, and when I find myself the target of such behavior, I merely hold a mirror up to it. That kind of "you're doing it wrong" gatekeeping can deter people from enjoying a thing that they like, and it's just unnecessary. It's not that far removed from Gamergate or neckbeards on Twitter telling people that they're not "real" anime fans because they only watch shows X, Y, and Z. The impulse behind this dude's comments and those things are the same - "I disagree with the way you're choosing to enjoy this hobby and I'm going to belittle you for it." And the fact that he continued to engage in that same kind of repetitive troll behavior doesn't do him any favors in my estimation of him either. I even gave him an out when I just said "Cool." and he still kept going.
I try to make it a habit of really reading comments I write on the internet before I post them and asking myself, "Do I really need to post this?" And probably 90% of the time, I just erase it and move on. It's just obnoxious. This back and forth with this dude is in that 10% and it's honestly embarrassing. We're all adults, and it's dumb.

If I have a choice between a more limited variant or one I like more, I always go with the one I like - case in point this record, or the recent Yellowcard repress. But that conversation regarding rarity is inherent to collecting anything - for a lot of people, yes, that exclusivity and seeing the volatility of the resale market of a particularly rare item you own is part of the fun, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. And if in the moment of posting links to this particular release, I tossed off some comment about being conflicted between two different variants, who cares? It's myopic to assume that one comment I made is reflective of my general collecting behavior.
With a couple exceptions, I'm also not a variant hound, and I've even sold rare variants at cost after buying a newer variant that I liked more. I have no interest in flipping, but it's still fun to know the value of a rare record you own. At least for me it is. If it's not fun for other people, that's totally cool, and I don't feel the need to belittle people who enjoy a hobby differently than I do. And if you disagree with the way someone is enjoying something, you can express that without, y'know, being a dick.

You did provoke him though.