Mogwai - As The Love Continues

Released on Temporary Residence in North America and Rock Action elsewhere. Red & Black vinyl options with a boxed set with the red vinyl with an EP. Monorail exclusive Orange vinyl here: https://www.monorailmusic.com/album/497c50bb-19db-11eb-9e1e-0a7cba31375a/As_The_Love_Continues_.html

Edited by ExtraFox
Edited to fix link.

New single is a lovely tune.  I’m really liking the art as well.  That boxset seems like quite a jump in price for the content included, but it’s the logical variant in my eyes and I typically go all in for anything Mogwai.  Had to do it.  Having a signed print thrown in would make the premium price tag feel a bit better, instead of restricting it to UK indie copies, but oh well.  Really looking forward to this album after how well ECS treated me.  The Stetson / Ross features are so cool, too.

14 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

New single is a lovely tune.  I’m really liking the art as well.  That boxset seems like quite a jump in price for the content included, but it’s the logical variant in my eyes and I typically go all in for anything Mogwai.  Had to do it.  Having a signed print thrown in would make the premium price tag feel a bit better, instead of restricting it to UK indie copies, but oh well.  Really looking forward to this album after how well ECS treated me.  The Stetson / Ross features are so cool, too.

I don't think the price is unreasonable. All of their box sets have been really solid. $59 shipped for a 2xLP, an exclusive 12", a CD, a book, inside a sturdy box with lovely art is a bargain IMO. I have never regretted buying a Mogwai box.  Especially compared to some of the ridiculous prices for double LPs that I see people throwing money at *cough*coheed*cough*

Just now, throwgncpr said:

I don't think the price is unreasonable. All of their box sets have been really solid. $59 shipped for a 2xLP, an exclusive 12", a CD, a book, inside a sturdy box with lovely art is a bargain IMO. I have never regretted buying a Mogwai box.  Especially compared to some of the ridiculous prices for double LPs that I see people throwing money at *cough*coheed*cough*

Hah, sure, yeah.  I don’t regret any of my Mogwai boxes either.  I felt like ECS was a little cheaper but perhaps I’m imagining that?  I’ll have to look at my TRL order history.  I don’t have buyer’s remorse (especially since the variant so fitting) but that bonus LP?  Let’s be real – it’s 4 demos.  Probably could’ve been on a 7”, right?  If we had some b-sides or remixes to fill up the rest of a 12”, then sure, yeah.  The photos are neat but I imagine they’re just some nice prints fastened together in what is, essentially, a glorified pamphlet or booklet.  If it was hardcover and contained liner notes, then we’d be talking.  And the CD is fine but I mean, I’m buying the vinyl box.  And the vinyl comes with a digital download.  That’s gonna’ be 99% of my listening, and I’d call the CD a nice choice for FLAC / archival purposes, should the internet ever collapse and make downloading impossible.  I would’ve preferred saving $10 or $15, with no CD, and having the option to bundle it in at a discounted rate or something.

All nitpicking aside I’m hyped on this release and cool with the box.  Personally still revisit my ECS one pretty regularly, since it was released.  The band are in a good spot and I’m expecting good things from this new one.

I just checked my email history. ECS was $5 cheaper. Maybe the demos could have fit on a 7", but it's Mogwai, so I'm not expecting them to be 3 minutes long. I'd rather have them sound good spread over a 12".

I revisit ECS and Rave Tapes all the time. Based on the mock-ups, I'm guessing this will be comparable in size to the ECS box.

7 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

I just checked my email history. ECS was $5 cheaper. Maybe the demos could have fit on a 7", but it's Mogwai, so I'm not expecting them to be 3 minutes long. I'd rather have them sound good spread over a 12".

I revisit ECS and Rave Tapes all the time. Based on the mock-ups, I'm guessing this will be comparable in size to the ECS box.

Which works for me.  I don't expect every release to be on par with the CODY box or anything.  Their current "boxset standard" feels solid, I'd just hate to see the cost eventually creep up to $70+ bit by bit, each release.  At that price I'm gonna' need a few more bells and whistles.

Also really glad we're getting a double LP's worth of material.  I'm hopeful that the demos are longer cuts, too.  Especially since they've squeezed demos and b-sides onto 7"s in the past where it was appropriate.  [Rave Tapes, right?]

Did you get a chance to listen to the single yet?

Just now, Derek™ said:

Also really glad we're getting a double LP's worth of material.  I'm hopeful that the demos are longer cuts, too.  Especially since they've squeezed demos and b-sides onto 7"s in the past where it was appropriate.  [Rave Tapes, right?]

Did you get a chance to listen to the single yet?

The Demos have been on 12"s, but Rave Tapes and ECS (if you count the Eternal Panter 7" that came with some orders) had bonus tracks on 7"s as well.

I did listen to the single, and I really enjoyed it.  It is nothing revolutionary, but it's solid, has a great vibe, and feels both in line with recent material and new at the same time. I'm looking forward to hearing it in context of the album.

2 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

The Demos have been on 12"s, but Rave Tapes and ECS (if you count the Eternal Panter 7" that came with some orders) had bonus tracks on 7"s as well.

I did listen to the single, and I really enjoyed it.  It is nothing revolutionary, but it's solid, has a great vibe, and feels both in line with recent material and new at the same time. I'm looking forward to hearing it in context of the album.

(Maybe I'm just thinking of that Rave Tapes bonus 7".)

Yeah, I honestly think I like this new single more than I liked Coolverine on first listen.  Coolverine was working that "big , spacey crescendo" angle.  Like you said, I think Dry Fantasy is more of a vibe.  Great melody, texture, and pacing without being too synth-heavy.  Really dig it.  I like that it's not the opening track, either – seems like it could nestle itself nice before or after a "banger".  I hope they whip out at least one track on par with Old Poisons on this record – the grit and style of the album art feels like it'd lend itself to some noisier or heavier moments.  That's the knee-jerk impression I got when I saw it, anyway.

Comparing first listens, I think I like Dry Fantasy  more than the premiere of Coolverine. I love that song now in context of the album, and it gives me chills.

I can see them putting some noisier/heavy elements on this too based on the art.

I know a lot of people clamor for the delay-heavy crescendo post-rock of their earlier material, but I honestly think Mogwai get better and better with every release. Their album-crafting is top notch. Three years into Every Country's Sun, and I still can't get enough of that record.

10 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

Comparing first listens, I think I like Dry Fantasy  more than the premiere of Coolverine. I love that song now in context of the album, and it gives me chills.

I can see them putting some noisier/heavy elements on this too based on the art.

I know a lot of people clamor for the delay-heavy crescendo post-rock of their earlier material, but I honestly think Mogwai get better and better with every release. Their album-crafting is top notch. Three years into Every Country's Sun, and I still can't get enough of that record.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the odd man out, but Rave Tapes was a stumble in their catalog for me.  I don't hate the album, and the peaks of the album are tremendous – Remurdered, especially live, is something I'll never tire of – but sandwiched between HWNDBYW and ECS?  Tough spot.  Otherwise, yeah, their main discography is aging beautifully and I do admire how expansive their sound has become.  Their early albums will always hold a special place in my heart though.  Not strictly because of the production or prominently delayed guitars... but because I feel like there was a real culmination of so many things going right on that EP+6 / Ten Rapid / Young Team / Come On Die Young stretch.  They were tapped into something timeless there.

Edited by Derek™

18 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the odd man out, but Rave Tapes was a stumble in their catalog for me.  I don't hate the album, and the peaks of the album are tremendous – Remurdered, especially live, is something I'll never tire of – but sandwiched between HWNDBYW and ECS?  Tough spot.  Otherwise, yeah, their main discography is aging beautifully and I do admire how expansive their sound has become.  Their early albums will always hold a special place in my heart though.  Not strictly because of the production or prominently delayed guitars... but because I feel like there was a real culmination of so many things going right on that EP+6 / Ten Rapid / Young Team / Come On Die Young stretch.  They were tapped into something timeless there.

Is that really the unpopular opinion? I always thought people were so-so on Rave Tapes. Personally, I love it, but it definitely has moments that I skip over depending on my mood. The volume on my stereo can never go loud enough for Remurdered...

Something about HWNDBYW makes me need to be in a very specific mood for it. Sometimes when I pop it on it feels like some of their best work, and other times it just doesn't connect. ECS though is wow every time for me.

I have the same feeling about the early albums. I wasn't trying to be down on them, I just wish people would open up a little on the post-"post-rock" Mogwai.

4 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

Is that really the unpopular opinion? I always thought people were so-so on Rave Tapes. Personally, I love it, but it definitely has moments that I skip over depending on my mood. The volume on my stereo can never go loud enough for Remurdered...

Something about HWNDBYW makes me need to be in a very specific mood for it. Sometimes when I pop it on it feels like some of their best work, and other times it just doesn't connect. ECS though is wow every time for me.

I have the same feeling about the early albums. I wasn't trying to be down on them, I just wish people would open up a little on the post-"post-rock" Mogwai.

I thought it was, only because I've voiced that opinion a few times on the boards only to have most everyone rush to RT's defense.  Which is cool, I get it – there's some nice stuff to love on that album.  But like you said, I think it has the most "skippable" content from just about any Mogwai release.  It also feels like a pretty meager offering being a single LP – what was the last single LP before that one?  2003's HSFHP?  (Mr. Beast is technically 1.5 LPs, right?)

I get what you mean about needing to be in the right mood for HWND.  But that's sort of how I feel about the majority of their discography, and that's where half the charm lies, for me.  CODY is such an incredible experience, front-to-back, but it's admittedly not something I play all that much throughout the entire year.  But oh lord, does it hit the spot on chilly fall nights or when the sun retires for the evening, in the winter.  I will agree that ECS feels a little more... "broadly reaching", I guess?  I've had it on in the background, or while driving.  I've had focused an intent listens to it, day and night, and it just works a lot of the time.

18 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

Moving outside of post-rock a bit has been what's kept them interesting to me.  I've mostly gotten bored with the genre, but new a new Mogwai releases still excites me.   Wrecked my weekly budget a bit, but I went for the deluxe box.

3 minutes ago, hookedonsonics said:

dang, uk signed print/tshirt bundle doesn't ship to canada

Yup, just tried to checkout on the Mogwai store and got a "This order can’t be shipped to your location" and "We don’t offer shipping to Canada" errors. Seems like TRL has the North American distribution rights and their bundle is the inferior one without the signed print and shirt. Sucks for us Canadians, but that's the business.

Norman Records in Leeds, UK has this up also for pre-order, with this cool option. 

There's a signed test pressing up for grabs of Mogwai's tenth record 'As The Love Continues'. Buy a copy on any format by Thursday 18th February 2021 for a chance to win. (Or, enter without buying by signing up for our emails.)

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/184370-mogwai-as-the-love-continues

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

Moving outside of post-rock a bit has been what's kept them interesting to me.  I've mostly gotten bored with the genre, but new a new Mogwai releases still excites me.   Wrecked my weekly budget a bit, but I went for the deluxe box.

Them and Caspian are really all I need, at least when it comes to new post rock. I’m thinking of doing the box set myself. 

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

Moving outside of post-rock a bit has been what's kept them interesting to me.  

Same. I'm bored with Gumbo-core. I love that Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky have been comfortable exploring new territory. I skip over a lot of post-rock these days.

35 minutes ago, voltagedrop said:

Yup, just tried to checkout on the Mogwai store and got a "This order can’t be shipped to your location" and "We don’t offer shipping to Canada" errors. Seems like TRL has the North American distribution rights and their bundle is the inferior one without the signed print and shirt. Sucks for us Canadians, but that's the business.

Does RT ship to Canada? 
https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/mogwai/as-the-love-continues/lp-plus-x2-2