Mogwai - As The Love Continues

went with the purple on TRL. the signed print is nice but shipping from the UK to the US makes it a bit expensive  (35pounds shipped). the purple also goes better with the artwork than the yellow does. the box is nice too, it's just that 4 demos and a photobook and a CD does not justify an additional $30 for me.

That’s interesting – extra packaging and art or “accompanying media” that captures the essence of the album or band seems more interesting or cool to revisit than some scribbles that you weren’t even present to receive in person.  To each their own of course, but I guess “signature fascination” is fascinating to me.

21 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

That’s interesting – extra packaging and art or “accompanying media” that captures the essence of the album or band seems more interesting or cool to revisit than some scribbles that you weren’t even present to receive in person.  To each their own of course, but I guess “signature fascination” is fascinating to me.

This. Absolutely this. Unless I’m getting my copy signed in person, which is free, signatures don’t mean anything to me. If it’s included, I won’t scoff, but I’m not paying more for it. 

I’ll always take a book over anything really, besides more music. Like I said in the AIC thread anything else is fluff. I’ll especially take a book that gives me insight to the album. Love listening to the album and flipping through the book. That’s kinda the point of tangible music, right? What am I gonna do with a poster or a signature? A print is cool but I’ve never really liked one that’s come with a release. They’re usually magazine type fold outs. 

Edited by Sad Heart

In this case it's easy to say for those in the US, otherwise pretty much anyone else is better off ordering from the UK.
Cheapest shipping from TRL to Canada for the deluxe box is $43 USD (which is almost $60 CAD), so that's not gonna happen.

We get worked over no matter where we order from, so I'll take the signed print over the extra CD/book since shipping from the UK was pretty much the same cost as shipping from the US for the 2xLP.

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Dug the first song!  Need to listen more, but I've becoming more and more hot on Mogwai after kind of being meh on them for the first chunk of my post-rock life.  I'm finding I prefer mid-to-current Mogwai more than the early stuff. 

I like the dancey electro sort of thing they do now :D

Too busy listening to people who were inspired by Mogwai and did a bad job trying to be them, instead of just listening to them. 

On 10/30/2020 at 2:40 PM, Sad Heart said:

Too busy listening to people who were inspired by Mogwai and did a bad job trying to be them, instead of just listening to them. 

Maybe, although I feel like many of the bands I like don't sound particularly like them.  But I'm sure they were an inspiration.  The thing with Mogwai for me though is that there are some tracks I absolutely adore, and then others that don't move me much at all.  So, I think that's why I've never really sought out their discography. 

3 hours ago, wuhanclan said:

for those who r looking, the box is up on bullmoose for $5 less than TRL where it is sold out already 

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/34864236/mogwai-as-the-love-continues-red-vinyl-3xlpbook-transparent-red-vinyl

The question is, how reliable is "we'll try to get it for you"? Cause saving $10 would be great, but how likely is it to fulfill. 

25 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

The question is, how reliable is "we'll try to get it for you"? Cause saving $10 would be great, but how likely is it to fulfill. 

Pretty likely, but yeah... I really am not a fan of that fine print they added.  I was bitching about it in another thread recently, too.

I already ordered from TRL and I know they're not exactly flourishing over there.  You can sort of tell by the amount of releases they churn out that it has become a labor of love.  I already ordered a box through them... and as nice as it'd be to save $10, there's no way I could bring myself to e-mail them for a refund.  Gonna' support them and let them keep that extra $10 since I think they need it more than I do.  The added peace of mind is just a bonus.

I missed the initial sale on TRL, so I ended up ordering from the Bullmoose link. Hoping it'll not get cancelled. Does that mean Bullmoose doesn't cap their orders anymore? Not sure how recent that fine print was added, but I feel like I've seen them stop taking preorders on other limited things before.

35 minutes ago, thenameisluigi said:

I missed the initial sale on TRL, so I ended up ordering from the Bullmoose link. Hoping it'll not get cancelled. Does that mean Bullmoose doesn't cap their orders anymore? Not sure how recent that fine print was added, but I feel like I've seen them stop taking preorders on other limited things before.

Bull Moose have always capped pre-orders and still do.  And they’re generally pretty damn good about it.  I’d say at some point in October, they tweaked that fine print with the Preorder button.  And they did it solely to cover those few cases where they can’t deliver, or oversell, or receive less than they ordered, etc.  It’s entirety to cover their backs and I totally get it, but it doesn’t instill the utmost confidence.  Then again, what is guaranteed anyway, outside of death and taxes?

5 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Bull Moose have always capped pre-orders and still do.  And they’re generally pretty damn good about it.  I’d say at some point in October, they tweaked that fine print with the Preorder button.  And they did it solely to cover those few cases where they can’t deliver, or oversell, or receive less than they ordered, etc.  It’s entirety to cover their backs and I totally get it, but it doesn’t instill the utmost confidence.  Then again, what is guaranteed anyway, outside of death and taxes?

Exactly what I was thinking. 

On 11/2/2020 at 11:28 PM, Derek™ said:

Pretty likely, but yeah... I really am not a fan of that fine print they added.  I was bitching about it in another thread recently, too.

I already ordered from TRL and I know they're not exactly flourishing over there.  You can sort of tell by the amount of releases they churn out that it has become a labor of love.  I already ordered a box through them... and as nice as it'd be to save $10, there's no way I could bring myself to e-mail them for a refund.  Gonna' support them and let them keep that extra $10 since I think they need it more than I do.  The added peace of mind is just a bonus.

I think some of their problems is the quantities they do.  Like, they're doing THOUSANDS of stuff for Mono.  I think they sit on a lot of their content. 

Also I thought this box came with the CD too?

1 minute ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I think some of their problems is the quantities they do.  Like, they're doing THOUSANDS of stuff for Mono.  I think they sit on a lot of their content. 

Also I thought this box came with the CD too?

On TRL at least, I'm 100% certain that the boxset was listed as including the CD, yeah.

1 minute ago, Gumbo72203 said:

yeah it's weird because TRL definitely shows that, but Bandcamp doesn't.  Would there be TWO different boxes?

I'm almost positive there's not two different boxset versions, especially if the difference is that negligible.  My money is on an oversight with the product description on bandcamp.

14 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I'm almost positive there's not two different boxset versions, especially if the difference is that negligible.  My money is on an oversight with the product description on bandcamp.

yeah word, as i look closer it's in the image but not the description.  I like the single, and I like ECS, so i think i'm gonna say fuck it haha and get the box from Bullmoose.  I play both, and getting the vinyl and CD plus shipping would put me close to that anyway.  Might as well take some demos!

Barry from Mogwai did a reddit AMA earlier and fielded a couple questions about vinyl pressings for Zero Zero Zero/the 2018 live lp. A few other people asked him abt EP+6 or Rock Action/Happy Songs getting the boxset treatment. It's cool that I'm not the only one that wants to pester the band about stuff like that. I ordered the new boxset from TRL with the quickness. 

I meant to ask him about this but didn't make the reddit chat... the bandcamp posting for the As the Love Continues is a little confusing, it says "you'll get the album the moment its released" on November 23 and then below it it seems to clarify that the album release date is Feb 19 2021. I guess I'm hopeful that they will let people listen to the new record via the Bandcamp app on 11/23 but I'm not super sure thats gonna happen. 

On 11/8/2020 at 5:11 PM, platonicplatypi said:

Barry from Mogwai did a reddit AMA earlier and fielded a couple questions about vinyl pressings for Zero Zero Zero/the 2018 live lp. A few other people asked him abt EP+6 or Rock Action/Happy Songs getting the boxset treatment. It's cool that I'm not the only one that wants to pester the band about stuff like that. I ordered the new boxset from TRL with the quickness. 

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

I meant to ask him about this but didn't make the reddit chat... the bandcamp posting for the As the Love Continues is a little confusing, it says "you'll get the album the moment its released" on November 23 and then below it it seems to clarify that the album release date is Feb 19 2021. I guess I'm hopeful that they will let people listen to the new record via the Bandcamp app on 11/23 but I'm not super sure thats gonna happen. 

I wonder if the album was supposed to originally be released in November and it was postponed? Less Than Jake's new record changed release dates a few times before they finally announced the December date.