Mogwai - As The Love Continues

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, ExtraFox said:

Released on Temporary Residence in North America and Rock Action elsewhere. Red & Black vinyl options with a boxed set with the red vinyl with an EP. Monorail exclusive Orange vinyl here: https://www.monorailmusic.com/album/497c50bb-19db-11eb-9e1e-0a7cba31375a/As_The_Love_Continues_<b>Monorail_Exclusive<_b>.html

The Monorail edition now includes a signed photo.

27 minutes ago, rabbitvinyl said:

Very very excited for this album. Just what I need while in lockdown. New song is surprisingly beautiful, straightforward but probably my favourite Mogwai lyrics. 

Per Pitchfork and a few other articles –

"The lyrics were inspired by a story Bob Nastanovich shared about his friend and bandmate David Berman who proclaimed ‘Rise Crystal Spear’ as he threw a shovel at a sports car. The song is dedicated to all the musician friends we’ve lost over the years."

On 1/13/2021 at 6:21 PM, Derek™ said:

Per Pitchfork and a few other articles –

A lot of their song titles come from stuff like that. I think "hardcore will never die but you will" came from a threat from a Glasgow ned. 

And kids will be skeletons is about someones kids dressing up for Halloween.

Just now, Skacel said:

A lot of their song titles come from stuff like that. I think "hardcore will never die but you will" came from a threat from a Glasgow ned. 

And kids will be skeletons is about someones kids dressing up for Halloween.

Yeah, there is definitely meaning behind their titles, if not solely in an "inside joke" kind of way.  One of the top Youtube comments for the new song is something akin to "the Mogwai Random Song Name Generator strikes again!" but I don't think that's ever been the case.

19 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

The new song rules. I love how the first 25 seconds tease some standard Gumbo-core, and then they launch into a Mogwai pop song. Super excited for new Mogwai.

It's actually so good.  I think it's my favorite verse-chorus-verse-chorus song they've done, with vocals.  The way the verses are sung makes me think of CODY and I'm all about that.  Really hits me as a summation of their classic sound merged with the newer direction they've been taking.

25 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, there is definitely meaning behind their titles, if not solely in an "inside joke" kind of way.  One of the top Youtube comments for the new song is something akin to "the Mogwai Random Song Name Generator strikes again!" but I don't think that's ever been the case.

It's actually so good.  I think it's my favorite verse-chorus-verse-chorus song they've done, with vocals.  The way the verses are sung makes me think of CODY and I'm all about that.  Really hits me as a summation of their classic sound merged with the newer direction they've been taking.

Their song titles always have some kind of meaning, and it's usually an inside joke. The last regular album title was a joke: "Every Country's Sun" was making fun of someone they knew who actually thought that every country had their own sun...

The new song definitely feels like they are trying to at least give a wink to their early/classic sound while forging down the path they've been on for a few albums. I'm getting some serious "Teenage Exorcists" vibes from "Ritchie Sacramento."

• 4 weeks later...

oh man that stream was awesome!  I think the first track is my favorite.  Everything I ever want from this band.  Some of the tunes got a little same-y to me but they were still really good overall.  The mix was fucking BANGING.  Loved the sound.  We had just gotten a new sound system/sub for the TV too a couple weeks ago, perfect timing. 

The bonus cuts at the end were fun too.  Celebrating the anniversary of Hardcore was a nice touch there.

12 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

oh man that stream was awesome!  I think the first track is my favorite.  Everything I ever want from this band.  Some of the tunes got a little same-y to me but they were still really good overall.  The mix was fucking BANGING.  Loved the sound.  We had just gotten a new sound system/sub for the TV too a couple weeks ago, perfect timing. 

The bonus cuts at the end were fun too.  Celebrating the anniversary of Hardcore was a nice touch there.

Agreed, it was a good show and it sounded great.

The two new album tracks that stood out to me other than the previously released ones were Ceiling Granny and Pat Stains. Those were my favourites.

Pretty bummed. I finally picked up my reserve copy (the indie yellow) of this from a local shop and Side A seems to be off-pitch. The notes drone and sound way off compared to the digital version I've heard. My tonearm is clearly moving side to side as it tracks, so I'm thinking this is an off-centre pressing issue. 

Has anyone had this problem with their yellow copy?! 

15 hours ago, rabbitvinyl said:

Pretty bummed. I finally picked up my reserve copy (the indie yellow) of this from a local shop and Side A seems to be off-pitch. The notes drone and sound way off compared to the digital version I've heard. My tonearm is clearly moving side to side as it tracks, so I'm thinking this is an off-centre pressing issue. 

Has anyone had this problem with their yellow copy?! 

Thats a damn shame, you may have gotten a dud. I picked up a yellow copy from Zia on Friday and spun it that night with no issues.