DUAL 1229 TURNTABLE SHOULD I MODIFY (Y/N)?

October 29, 2020 - 10:19am
Hill750
Hill750's picture

DUAL 1229 TURNTABLE SHOULD I MODIFY (Y/N)?

I recently acquired a Dual (United Audio) 1229 turntable. It has the original plinth with the storage compartment that opens in the front. It has a Shure M91ED cartridge/stylus. By its own right, it is an interesting item from the idler turntable era, before belt and direct drive turntables overtook the market.

My question to the forum is what direction do I go with restoring this turntable back to its operational peak? Do I keep everything stock, and restore it as if it just came out of the box brand new in the early 70's? Or, do I make modifications that would benefit the overall sound quality of the turntable? But, by making modifications would I hurt its value?

The modifications I am considering are as follows:

1. Custom plinth
2. New acrylic cover
3. Upgraded cartridge/stylus

Thanks Chad, 

• 3 months later...

I don't know the answers to your questions. When we bought our house a year ago, it came with a Dual 1219 built in to the wall with beautiful walnut drawer for sliding it in and out of the wall. It was frozen and I finally got off my ass and took it to a guy for repair. I have to say that I am loving it. It has the original Pickering cart and it sounds fine to me. I'm also a little too stoked about the auto on and off feature. I don't know if I even want to try a different cart. It sounds fine for my living room. Just gonna keep everything original.