[PO] Foo Fighters - Medicine At Midnight (Feb. 5th)

8 hours ago, mrewest said:

I don’t get the lukewarm sentiment for Concrete & Gold.  That album is 90% incredible imo.  Some of their best songs ever.  

Sonic Highways was forgettable after the first 3 jams.

Sonic Highways was great in theory, but poor in execution. A couple songs are good, there are some banging riffs, but overall it was weak. I enjoy the documentary, but not the album. Concrete and Gold was the same, but better. A handful of awesome songs and a handful of killer riffs, but definitely not a go-to for me. It’s better live. Wasting Light is the best thing they’ve done in the last decade. If we get something like that I’ll be stoked. 

For what it's worth, I've heard clips of the whole album and this single seems to be an outlier. Based on what I've listened to (10-30 seconds per song) there are MUCH better songs coming. I get why Dave would want to choose something that shows their progression, but this was not the right choice for an introduction. I'm thoroughly looking forward to hearing entire recordings.

50 minutes ago, zackdumbass said:

For what it's worth, I've heard clips of the whole album and this single seems to be an outlier. Based on what I've listened to (10-30 seconds per song) there are MUCH better songs coming. I get why Dave would want to choose something that shows their progression, but this was not the right choice for an introduction. I'm thoroughly looking forward to hearing entire recordings.

Whatever happened to the "real" Dave Grohl that lived on this board.  We need an interview and some serious answers.  

14 hours ago, MikePortly said:

The single was decent, and I liked it on SNL. Ordered the purple the next day. I'm just glad to see people singing the praises of Wasting Light in here because it really was a damn good album!

I respect C&S for what it is, but IMO Wasting Light is the pinnacle of perfection that doesn't get enough recognition for how phenomenal it is compared to their entire catalog

• 2 months later...

The Target exclusive came out nice.  Everything beyond that is hot garbage imo.  I don't understand how you need 6 band members to make music this mediocre.  I told myself not to buy this record after hearing the first single on SNL, but here I am, questioning whether I can stomach side 2.  I guess I've made it this far, so here goes................

Edit:  I can't finish this record, it's a waste of time.

Edited by ZeroNowhere

On 2/6/2021 at 6:25 PM, ZeroNowhere said:

The Target exclusive came out nice.  Everything beyond that is hot garbage imo.  I don't understand how you need 6 band members to make music this mediocre.  I told myself not to buy this record after hearing the first single on SNL, but here I am, questioning whether I can stomach side 2.  I guess I've made it this far, so here goes................

Edit:  I can't finish this record, it's a waste of time.

That's a bit dramatic. 

19 minutes ago, kramer73 said:

That's a bit dramatic. 

Spun mine today. Quality and packaging is good. Mixing and mastering is great. I only liked a few tracks on the album in general. Most of which were on Side B. This is the first Foo record I’ve heard that I wasn’t blown away by. I can see the appeal and how a lot of people will like this, especially those who liked C&G, but this isn’t my kind of Foo. I was hoping more so for another Wasting Light. And damn it’s short. 3 years wait for 36 minutes. And it wasn’t a quality over quality thing either. Oh well. They’re still amazing live and have plenty of other music to listen to so no big deal. 

On 2/7/2021 at 8:56 PM, ZeroNowhere said:

No, it’s my opinion, which is the album sucks.  I’m not going to waste my time listening to hot garbage.  

I haven’t listened to a foo fighters album in 15 years and I know this opinion is stupid 🤷‍♂️

The album is okay.  I mean, it's a foo fighters album... there hasn't been a "great" one front-to-back in well over a decade.  I appreciate that they try to mix it up and do different things musically, but as a result it's very hit or miss.  I think the production is actually pretty cool and interesting on this one, but like half the lyrics are just cheesy and clunky and hard to listen to.  A couple good songs, though.  Ultimately, I'm glad I didn't spend a bunch of money on the vinyl.

Always found it semi-interesting how Foo Fighters and Green Day wound down their time as a young, energetic band with slower, less effortful, less commercially successful albums (Warning and There is Nothing Left to Lose, both released within a year of each other) then re-emerged a few years later as their ‘roided out, music business minded selves and are still cranking out big rock widgets 21 years later. Even if the music is not as good, impressive.

25 minutes ago, Oblivions said:

Always found it semi-interesting how Foo Fighters and Green Day wound down their time as a young, energetic band with slower, less effortful, less commercially successful albums (Warning and There is Nothing Left to Lose, both released within a year of each other) then re-emerged a few years later as their ‘roided out, music business minded selves and are still cranking out big rock widgets 21 years later. Even if the music is not as good, impressive.

If you wanna talk about hot garbage, you gotta talk about Green Day though

2 minutes ago, Boaty McBoatface said:

If you wanna talk about hot garbage, you gotta talk about Green Day though

GD feels more embarrassing post-2000 but I think they’re both companies with lots of people on their payroll who leaned towards different crowds. GD seemed to go for teens and FF aimed for an older crowd but they are both making calculated, proficiently assembled widgets that will “work” in the current financial wasteland of rock & the music industry.