Help! how do i get cd cleaner/repair fluid off of vintage expensive vinyl

ydono

Try an isopropyl alcohol solution on a cotton ball or soft cloth, ideally diluted with distilled water and rinsed with the same when you’re done. Start with maybe 4 parts water, 1 part alcohol, and keep upping the alcohol until it is effective. 

Note that most CD repair fluids are mild abrasives that work by buffing out scratches on CDs. What you are seeing on the 45 might be fine scratches rather than residue, and nothing will fix that. 

Edited by fondfarewell

3 hours ago, ydono said:

The Record is Disc Jockey record company label.  Jass at Ohio Union.  Ice Cream, If I ever Cease to Love You, Corrine -   It is a live recording

There is a copy on Discogs for $55:

The George Lewis Authentic New Orleans Ragtime Band* ‎– Jass At The Ohio Union

Looks like a very cool private pressing record!

Get a VPI or similar vacuum powered record cleaning machine.

It is a really nice recording.  I have been listening to lots and lots of records as I buy them at garage sales, listen to them and then sell.    This record stood out.  I am selling it so would like to clean it to try and get rid of the skip that I think I caused with the cd fluid cleaner/repair.  I can't afford those cleaning machines.  Is it really a lost cause or should I try the rubbing alcohol?  or, maybe a collector would buy it for less with the hopes of cleaning it.   not really sure which way to go.

On 11/25/2020 at 4:17 PM, ydono said:

It is a really nice recording.  I have been listening to lots and lots of records as I buy them at garage sales, listen to them and then sell.    This record stood out.  I am selling it so would like to clean it to try and get rid of the skip that I think I caused with the cd fluid cleaner/repair.  I can't afford those cleaning machines.  Is it really a lost cause or should I try the rubbing alcohol?  or, maybe a collector would buy it for less with the hopes of cleaning it.   not really sure which way to go.

I fell into that trap where I thought  “I can’t afford a record cleaning machine,” while I was collecting, accumulating and listening to LPs for a few years when I started.

Here’s the secret. Playing an “uncleaned” record with all the grit and dirt in the grooves is like playing your records with sandpaper.

You are wearing out your record AND stylus prematurely.

I read this in Goldmine back in the day, and now agree with it. If you are “serious” about your vinyl collection, sell off one quarter of your collection so you can buy one of these RCM machines to preserve the other 3/4 of it.

Even NEW LPs have a mold release compound in the grooves to keep it from sticking to the stamper. One of these vacuum machines is the only way to safely remove it, as well as the dirt and grime on your used and thrift shop LPs.

Happy listening! 

Edited by Plarocks