Caspian: YATC, Tertia, Live At Old South Church, and Four Trees (2020 Repress)

CASPIAN | 2020 Represses

Available via Bandcamp and Caspian's webstore.

https://caspiantheband.bigcartel.com/products

https://caspiantheband.bandcamp.com/merch

* Test Presses only available via BC.

* Not sure of pressing info / quantity at the moment. Will update when I get more info. 

0022524591_10.jpg

/ Tertia 2xLP

x Test Press

x Yellow Mix

x Rose Gold

https://caspiantheband.bandcamp.com/album/tertia

0022524483_10.jpg

/ The Four Trees 2xLP

x Test Press

x Yellow Mix

x Rose Gold

https://caspiantheband.bandcamp.com/album/the-four-trees

0022524335_10.jpg

/ Live At Old South Church LP

x Test Press

x Yellow Mix

https://caspiantheband.bandcamp.com/album/live-at-old-south-church

0022524253_10.jpg

/ You Are The Conductor LP

x Test Press

x Sea Foam

x Yellow Mix

https://caspiantheband.bandcamp.com/album/you-are-the-conductor

Edited by Sad Heart

26 minutes ago, jtoth000 said:

I’ve been slacking on completing my collection lately but damn was this an expensive weekend! I know they probably pressed a lot of test presses but I’m looking forward to having those. 

Yah, I'm curious what the black with white labels run size is. Hopefully it's an actual TP. Would be nice if they're numbered too. They better for that price. This makes up for the MS represses tests I was supposed to get and never did. And these will make my Caspian collection hit 100...

32 minutes ago, jtoth000 said:

Didn’t realize it finally hit 100, that’s crazy. I guess since we don’t have live music I should put my funds to completing my collection. Matt do you have any other non vinyl Caspian in your collection?

Haha yah. I have 400 other records. Slowly but surely adding more. I just got a new set up so that’s where most of my funds went. Haha. 

I'm sure other people got this information, but Erin said that these are all entirely new stampers and plates.  So, basically first presses all over again! 

Also, seems this is the original mix of Four Trees.  It wasn't specified, so I asked just to clarify.  I'm not sure what Phil meant in this comment, so maybe someone else here can decipher: 

"Hey man, fairly sure it’s the original mix. The remaster wasn’t hitting from the original files from what I recall years back (the Sheath weren’t all that diligent when it came to that) so this was sourced direct."

Really psyched to get a new stamper for all these.  Some of mine sound awesome, others not so much. 

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I'm sure other people got this information, but Erin said that these are all entirely new stampers and plates.  So, basically first presses all over again! 

Also, seems this is the original mix of Four Trees.  It wasn't specified, so I asked just to clarify.  I'm not sure what Phil meant in this comment, so maybe someone else here can decipher: 

"Hey man, fairly sure it’s the original mix. The remaster wasn’t hitting from the original files from what I recall years back (the Sheath weren’t all that diligent when it came to that) so this was sourced direct."

Really psyched to get a new stamper for all these.  Some of mine sound awesome, others not so much. 

What’s not clear? He said the remaster wasn’t doing it. The compilation of YACT/FT is a remaster. So they used the original mix, not the remaster. 

And when you say “some copies” are referring to some albums or some pressings. Cause all copies of Tertia are garbage. They sound good on the DJ table? 

2 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

What’s not clear? He said the remaster wasn’t doing it. The compilation of YACT/FT is a remaster. So they used the original mix, not the remaster. 

And when you say “some copies” are referring to some albums or some pressings. Cause all copies of Tertia are garbage. They sound good on the DJ table? 

I was meaning the Four Trees remaster that they put out 2 years ago when you did the tri-color.  Is that remaster the same as is found on the compilation?  I was under the impression that the 2018 version was totally different, but I never knew for sure. 

As far as which ones sound good, I'm mostly referring to my YATC.  I love that sound.  But regardless, they're all gonna sound baller when my Planar 6 with Hana EL cart comes in ;)

Go big or go home, right?

Just now, Gumbo72203 said:

I was meaning the Four Trees remaster that they put out 2 years ago when you did the tri-color.  Is that remaster the same as is found on the compilation?  I was under the impression that the 2018 version was totally different, but I never knew for sure. 

As far as which ones sound good, I'm mostly referring to my YATC.  I love that sound.  But regardless, they're all gonna sound baller when my Planar 6 with Hana EL cart comes in ;)

Go big or go home, right?

I gotcha. Yah, the darker cover was a remaster for FT. So from what you posted it sounds like they’re sourcing from the original source and made new plates. And from as far as I know the remaster from the comp is what they used as the source for the new cover repress. 

Wow. Hope you got a good amp and speakers to match. Turntable (minus cart) isn’t but so important. 

1 minute ago, Sad Heart said:

I gotcha. Yah, the darker cover was a remaster for FT. So from what you posted it sounds like they’re sourcing from the original source and made new plates. And from as far as I know the remaster from the comp is what they used as the source for the new cover repress. 

Wow. Hope you got a good amp and speakers to match. Turntable (minus cart) isn’t but so important. 

I'm still searching for amp and speakers, but I've been doing a fuck ton of research.  I'm struggling on the preamp though.  I really like what I've been hearing from the Schiit Mani, but the dudes at the store I'm getting my P6 from are really pushing the Mofi Studiophono.  Both of them allow switching between MM and MC carts.  This hi fi vinyl thing is gnarly, there's too many options. 

To get back on topic, can you clarify what you mean though, because I just want to make sure I got it straight; I was just checking discogs and didn't realize that the 2nd press was also remastered.  Derp.  I like tracking these things because I like having and comparing both versions. 

2007 original release. 

2010 remastered for comp.  (was YATC also remastered for this?  No info says any of the standalone YATC releases were remastered)

2013 2nd pressing, which you're calling "Dark cover".  Using the remastered audio from the comp?

2018 3rd pressing, is this what you're calling "new cover repress", and it (again) uses the same audio as the comp remaster? 
2020 4th pressing, Dark Operative - we're assuming they're using the 2007 original source?

On 11/24/2020 at 2:15 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

I'm still searching for amp and speakers, but I've been doing a fuck ton of research.  I'm struggling on the preamp though.  I really like what I've been hearing from the Schiit Mani, but the dudes at the store I'm getting my P6 from are really pushing the Mofi Studiophono.  Both of them allow switching between MM and MC carts.  This hi fi vinyl thing is gnarly, there's too many options. 

To get back on topic, can you clarify what you mean though, because I just want to make sure I got it straight; I was just checking discogs and didn't realize that the 2nd press was also remastered.  Derp.  I like tracking these things because I like having and comparing both versions. 

2007 original release. 

2010 remastered for comp.  (was YATC also remastered for this?  No info says any of the standalone YATC releases were remastered)

2013 2nd pressing, which you're calling "Dark cover".  Using the remastered audio from the comp?

2018 3rd pressing, is this what you're calling "new cover repress", and it (again) uses the same audio as the comp remaster? 
2020 4th pressing, Dark Operative - we're assuming they're using the 2007 original source?

I’m not sure what source they used for the 2nd press. I can spin it later and see or just ask Jonny. 

And I think it’s safe to assume they used the original mix from New Alliance Studios (2006). I’m gonna call Jonny and get some clarity on all of it and see since the info is unfortunately not readily available. 

As far as equipment goes, post on the set up thread and see what those dudes say or your local audio guys (but don’t automatically say yes - they could be rad or just trying to make a buck). I think that Schitt would be under powered. And I’d definitely get one that does MM/MC so you have options for carts. I’d also check Crutchfield for good sales. Save a penny where ya can. I just built a whole new set up and saved $750 from sales / open box. Congrats on your new set up. Feel free to message me about equipment so we don’t clog the thread. 

Edited by Sad Heart

On 11/24/2020 at 2:26 PM, Sad Heart said:

I’m not sure what source they used for the 2nd press. I can spin it later and see or just ask Jonny. And by dark cover I meant 3rd press (which using the more brown cover opposed to tan like the 2nd and 1st press). 

And I think it’s safe to assume they used the original mix from New Alliance Studios (2006). I’m gonna call Jonny and get some clarity on all of it and see since the info is unfortunately not readily available. 

Right on.  I remember not preferring the 2018 remaster; it messed with some of the instrument balances that I just didn't prefer.  I had the 2nd press but sold it years ago, as I got a good offer and had the 1st press.  I'll have to double check though, because I can't remember if it was that 2nd or 1st press that I preferred most.  It's been a minute since I listened, so I'll put that on my list to play and compare; I just don't remember. 

If you can get that info, it'd be great.  There's literally nothing anywhere about them.  I don't want to bug them too much, so it's definitely better for you to do it haha. 

Because if we're going by Discogs, it also appears that the CD editions are based on the original mix and never used any of the remasters. 

EDIT:  Spinning my 2018 3rd press.  In the jacket it says "Remastered by Will Benoit at The Radar Studio".  Matt, can you note what the 2nd press says?

Edited by Gumbo72203

@Gumbo72203

Four Trees:

1st Press - Tan cover. Gatefold. Liner sheet with info. OG 2006 mix recorded by Ethan at New Alliance. Mastered by Nick at New Alliance East. Matrix #73601E1. 

2nd Press - Brown cover. No gatefold. Same mix as 1st press. No insert. Matrix #73601E1.

Comp. - Recorded and mixed by Ethan.  Remastered by Will. (2010) Matrix #87523E5. 

3rd Press - Spot gloss cover. OG liner info printed on inner gatefold. 2006 mix by Ethan. Remastered by Will. (Printed in 2018 - assuming this is the 2010 remaster.) Matrix #172291E1

On 11/25/2020 at 10:01 PM, Sad Heart said:

@Gumbo72203

Four Trees:

1st Press - Tan cover. Gatefold. Liner sheet with info. OG 2006 mix recorded by Ethan at New Alliance. Mastered by Nick at New Alliance East. Matrix #73601E1. 

2nd Press - Brown cover. No gatefold. Same mix as 1st press. No insert. Matrix #73601E1.

Comp. - Recorded and mixed by Ethan.  Remastered by Will. (2010) Matrix #87523E5. 

3rd Press - Spot gloss cover. OG liner info printed on inner gatefold. 2006 mix by Ethan. Remastered by Will. (Printed in 2018 - assuming this is the 2010 remaster.) Matrix #172291E1

that means Discogs is wrong for the 2nd press!  Thanks man, helpful info. 

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

that means Discogs is wrong for the 2nd press!  Thanks man, helpful info. 

Yah, seems like someone put "remastered" on the 2nd press on Discogs, even though it's the 3rd press for the 10yr anniversary that is remastered. That mistake was throwing us both off. Haha. I'm gonna spin it later to compare to the comp. version and the 3rd version. I wish I could see them in a spectrum viewer to test. It's all very curious. 

I fixed it on Discogs. Looks like the “remastered” tag was added 2 years ago for some reason. 

Edited by Sad Heart

On 11/25/2020 at 10:24 PM, Juturna90 said:

So always funny when a label misprints the speed on the label as to what is actually pressed but my copy of Tertia shows 45 for disc one and 33 for disc two. It actually plays at 33.. looks and sounds great though. 

So the sound is noticeably better than the previous pressings?

7 minutes ago, Eclipsical said:

So the sound is noticeably better than the previous pressings?

Yeah, as good if not better. Someone hit me up regarding the runout codes and confirmed that it was pressed at Record Technology Incorporated. I’ll have the rest in the mail day and can report on those as well when I spin them. I guess the only real bummer is the non gatefold but it’s all good. Glad to just have a copy. 

Just now, Juturna90 said:

Yeah, as good if not better. Someone hit me up regarding the runout codes and confirmed that it was pressed at Record Technology Incorporated. I’ll have the rest in the mail day and can report on those as well when I spin them. I guess the only real bummer is the non gatefold but it’s all good. Glad to just have a copy. 

I already have four of the Mylene Sheath pressings of Tertia.  As beautiful as some of them are... they all sound like shit.  Muddy, surface noise.  One of the few records in my collection that sound like garbage... Willing to try my luck on a fifth copy I suppose.  If anyone else has a Sheath pressing and this new one I would love to hear your thoughts on the sound quality in comparison.

5 hours ago, Eclipsical said:

I already have four of the Mylene Sheath pressings of Tertia.  As beautiful as some of them are... they all sound like shit.  Muddy, surface noise.  One of the few records in my collection that sound like garbage... Willing to try my luck on a fifth copy I suppose.  If anyone else has a Sheath pressing and this new one I would love to hear your thoughts on the sound quality in comparison.

I have them all, so once the new ones come in I’ll do a comparison to a couple variants of each pressing.