Caspian: YATC, Tertia, Live At Old South Church, and Four Trees (2020 Repress)

https://app.photobucket.com/u/lostindefeat23/a/05474e15-dae8-4753-9a3b-3ea20d532092/p/799dfc4a-7ef6-4008-af5e-603bbf75a3ee

https://app.photobucket.com/u/lostindefeat23/a/05474e15-dae8-4753-9a3b-3ea20d532092/p/dac6ac57-4d57-453e-bf5a-e9644d9743f0

The Four Trees is gatefold and the rest are all single sleeves. Just finished love at the old church and it sounds great as well. Definitely would recommend picking these up if you don’t have them get. 

Edited by Juturna90

6 hours ago, Juturna90 said:

The Four Trees is gatefold and the rest are all single sleeves. Just finished love at the old church and it sounds great as well. Definitely would recommend picking these up if you don’t have them get. 

Thanks man. They look great! Might pick them up next Bandcamp Friday unless there's sale before then.

On 11/27/2020 at 6:32 AM, Sad Heart said:

Yah, seems like someone put "remastered" on the 2nd press on Discogs, even though it's the 3rd press for the 10yr anniversary that is remastered. That mistake was throwing us both off. Haha. I'm gonna spin it later to compare to the comp. version and the 3rd version. I wish I could see them in a spectrum viewer to test. It's all very curious. 

I fixed it on Discogs. Looks like the “remastered” tag was added 2 years ago for some reason. 

Right on.  I knew I wasn't crazy; I prefer the original master on some songs, but then the remaster sounds really good for some other songs.  So, I like to have both.  Thanks for the fix!

2 hours ago, jtoth000 said:

Sometimes I can’t handle remastered versions of songs even if they sound better. The original just gets burned into the memory to well.

Does anyone know what the pressing numbers are? the test presses?

I specifically asked the dude run sizes and if test pressed were numbered and he fired back with “we don’t disclose that cause it feeds into flipper / collector culture”. Mother fucker you’re in the record business. Plus this ain’t hype culture bullshit. It’s fucking post rock. Also pretty rich coming from the dude who has milked Young Mountain pressings to death and basically lives off TWDY as income. I was pretty pissed. I’ve spent over a decade collecting Caspian records and this fucker is gonna ruin it, just watch. 

Maybe he’ll disclose them later, we’ll see. I’m calling Jonny Saturday just to catch up in general, so I’ll ask him about pressing info and see what he says. My records got delayed in transit. They were supposed to be here yesterday and the test presses today, but not sure what their new arrival date is. 

“those models in music aren’t built to last”. Man, I’m still pissed at that comment. I can understand that if this genre attracts flippers like if he put out super limited, gimmicky, expensive releases, but it’s the 4th/5th/6th repress of albums that are still somewhat readily available and being repressed at a normal price. I don’t get it. I just knew when they announced they were having him repress the back catalog we were going to run into shit like this, and hear we are. 

Sometimes I can’t handle remastered versions of songs even if they sound better. The original just gets burned into the memory to well.

Does anyone know what the pressing numbers are? the test presses?

Also, I completely get that. I got Conditions’ Fluorescent Youth on vinyl and it’s the remastered version and I don’t care for it cause I’m so used to the original mix. 

2 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

I specifically asked the dude run sizes and if test pressed were numbered and he fired back with “we don’t disclose that cause it feeds into flipper / collector culture”. Mother fucker you’re in the record business. Plus this ain’t hype culture bullshit. It’s fucking post rock. Also pretty rich coming from the dude who has milked Young Mountain pressings to death and basically lives off TWDY as income. I was pretty pissed. I’ve spent over a decade collecting Caspian records and this fucker is gonna ruin it, just watch. 

Maybe he’ll disclose them later, we’ll see. I’m calling Jonny Saturday just to catch up in general, so I’ll ask him about pressing info and see what he says. My records got delayed in transit. They were supposed to be here yesterday and the test presses today, but not sure what their new arrival date is. 

“those models in music aren’t built to last”. Man, I’m still pissed at that comment. I can understand that if this genre attracts flippers like if he put out super limited, gimmicky, expensive releases, but it’s the 4th/5th/6th repress of albums that are still somewhat readily available and being repressed at a normal price. I don’t get it. I just knew when they announced they were having him repress the back catalog we were going to run into shit like this, and hear we are. 

Did you see all the of the shit he (Brent, from Dark Operative) was posting on Caspian's Instagram post about the represses?   Brent and some other dude were going back and forth shit slinging over him not divulging pressing info for some TWDY records and being a dick about it.  Literally embarrassing.  I felt so bad for Caspian.

Just now, Eclipsical said:

Did you see all the of the shit he (Brent, from Dark Operative) was posting on Caspian's Instagram post about the represses?   Brent and some other dude were going back and forth shit slinging over him not divulging pressing info for some TWDY records and being a dick about it.  Literally embarrassing.  I felt so bad for Caspian.

No. I don’t have IG. Would you be able to screen cap and show me? Man, the dude is an asshole. He posts shit on Twitter like he wants his label to fail. He is so confrontational and opinionated. Runs it like a personal account. I followed it since the Caspian deal was announced to keep up to date, and his tweets just always came off so fucking “I’m so fucking cool, fuck all of you” vibe. Like some competition of calling out a dude and the loser has to delete their Instagram? What? I’m gonna talk to Jonny and see what the reason is they went with this label and how long the contract is for yada yada. I wanted to go into detail of why they suck etc but didn’t wanna be that guy and say “hey you’re fucked” right when they got into it and the MS wound was still pretty fresh, cause they got fucked out of a lot of money. Like, 5 digits. 

I’ll see if I can post some of the photos later. I hate that this negativity was all over that post for Caspian. Someone also started talking about the MS issues in past and I’m sure they want to move past that as well. 

also I got my test presses this week. I’m sure they made like 30 of them but damn does that feel good to add to the collection!

Edited by jtoth000

I’ll see if I can post some of the photos later. I hate that this negativity was all over that post for Caspian. Someone also started talking about the MS issues in past and I’m sure they want to move past that as well. 

also I got my test presses this week. I’m sure they made like 30 of them but damn does that feel good to add to the collection!

30 is pretty hopeful. Probably closer to 100.

34 minutes ago, Shelby American said:

You should've countered with his reasoning for selling so many "tests" being a lasting model lol.

Dude. I absolutely should have. And I really wanted to dig into him about all the damn Young Mountain represses. So releasing run numbers isn’t a lasting business model but pressing an album 15 times with a handful of variants per press is, right?

One last question, I had forgotten that Old South Church was also remastered.  Do we know whether the DO pressing is the original master, or the 2015 remaster?

I just finished spinning my 2015 2nd press, it sounds awesome.  Not sure I'd need the original, but if the DO is the original mix then I might be tempted because these are all RTI pressings it seems. 

Got my test presses in yesterday. They aren’t numbered, of course. Just stamped white sleeves, same packaging. 

Still waiting on my regular presses. They have been in LA for almost 3 weeks. They’re just sitting at the post office. 

Eo9NI7sXEAAbwk_?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Sad Heart

On 12/11/2020 at 7:46 AM, Sad Heart said:

Got my test presses in yesterday. They aren’t numbered, of course. Just stamped white sleeves, same packaging. 

Still waiting on my regular presses. They have been in LA for almost 3 weeks. They’re just sitting at the post office. 

Eo9NI7sXEAAbwk_?format=jpg&name=large

Do you ever find Test Presses to sound better than the production run?

1 minute ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Do you ever find Test Presses to sound better than the production run?

They're usually the same, if not maybe a hairrrr better. Really depends on the plant, the QC, etc., but usually the same. I'll probably spin these later to find out since the actual presses haven't come in. 

2 hours ago, Sad Heart said:

They're usually the same, if not maybe a hairrrr better. Really depends on the plant, the QC, etc., but usually the same. I'll probably spin these later to find out since the actual presses haven't come in. 

Word.  I guess I always thought they were collectible because, having been fresh off the stamper first, they would always sound better than the 493rd or whatever. 

A couple of things:

- Most importantly, Caspian owns the rights to their music. So thankfully they didn’t sign them over to D.O. with this pressing. 
- They did this as a trial, and odds are won’t be using them again for another press. 
- They’re aware of the IG rant and are pretty embarrassed and don’t want that reflecting on them, so things are probably gonna change next go around. 
- I spoke with them about a few other things / more in depth about Brent. Don’t be too worried. 
- New Caspian is in the works. As well as other info I can’t share. 

The only reason they didn’t have TC do their represses is cause it would have been a little too expensive through them. Only went with Brent cause he offered to repress it and wasn’t asking for the right to their music, which is fair. 

Also, I’m in the process of finding out runs sizes. Will post here and everywhere and then some more just to piss off Brent when I get said info. 

1 hour ago, Sad Heart said:

A couple of things:

- Most importantly, Caspian owns the rights to their music. So thankfully they didn’t sign them over to D.O. with this pressing. 
- They did this as a trial, and odds are won’t be using them again for another press. 
- They’re aware of the IG rant and are pretty embarrassed and don’t want that reflecting on them, so things are probably gonna change next go around. 
- I spoke with them about a few other things / more in depth about Brent. Don’t be too worried. 
- New Caspian is in the works. As well as other info I can’t share. 

The only reason they didn’t have TC do their represses is cause it would have been a little too expensive through them. Only went with Brent cause he offered to repress it and wasn’t asking for the right to their music, which is fair. 

Also, I’m in the process of finding out runs sizes. Will post here and everywhere and then some more just to piss off Brent when I get said info. 

Thread delivers.