Caspian: YATC, Tertia, Live At Old South Church, and Four Trees (2020 Repress)

55 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

Right on. I texted Jonny about it. 

Awesome!  I think it would be a good fit; they already have the in-house screen printing operation, they have the Dunk! distribution chain in place, and a recognized and respected name in the post-rock world.  I think it would be a great fit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Phil did the Seed Cast podcast this week and I recommend giving it a listen, It’s a really solid play. He said they’re going to do physical release special edition of Circles on Circles, release the studio documentary and then the live cabot show with the orchestra. We’ll see it all around the time live shows start coming back. I’m ready for a Caspian show and hoping they do some US dates with Holy Fawn. 

• 1 month later...

So I finally pulled the trigger on the Dark Operative Tertia press.  Spinning it now.  To me, it is far superior in sound than any of the six Mylene Sheath variants I have listened to. If you are a fan of Caspian / Tertia, it's definitely worth purchasing to experience the sound of this new pressing.  What is unfortunate is how lackluster the record was presented with it's packaging.  Flimsy vinyl that barely feels 140gram with rough edges that weren't even cut properly at the plant, plain Jane "La Vie En Rose" vinyl color (basically just clear vinyl with a slight pink tone), cheap jacket with none of the bells and whistles of some of the earlier Mylene Sheath pressings (gold foil stamping, gatefold, etc), and misprinted labels on sides A, B, and C that say it is spun at 45rpm when it's actually 33rpm.  I wonder how many thousand copies were pressed with that misprint?  Dark Operative / Magic Bullet / Brent still sucks.

• 3 months later...

Finally getting through my repress copies.  Done YATC and Four Trees so far.  They sound fine, but the pressing's are not good.  YATC is noisy as hell, and my Four Trees is scratched for the entire duration of Moksha.  Sweet. 

Been waiting to play them on the new system so i can have an accurate representation of their quality.  The music itself sounds great but as we expected, the pressings are dogshit. 

Should have known.  Oh well.  We tried. 

This reminds me. I hadn’t owned any of these before the repress, so I bought them all, individually, from random sources over the winter. I knew there were lots of interesting colours and variations in existence (props to @Sad Heart) but didn’t know what I would end up receiving, nor did I really care which variants I ended up with. 
And man, was that a good thing:

spacer.png

...I also have the yellow pressing of Waking Season 🙄

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Finally getting through my repress copies.  Done YATC and Four Trees so far.  They sound fine, but the pressing's are not good.  YATC is noisy as hell, and my Four Trees is scratched for the entire duration of Moksha.  Sweet. 

Been waiting to play them on the new system so i can have an accurate representation of their quality.  The music itself sounds great but as we expected, the pressings are dogshit. 

Should have known.  Oh well.  We tried. 

I’ve had many conversations with Jonny about the poor quality of the pressings. We’re figuring something out. One day we’ll get good pressings. Until then you have 16bit via BC, Deezer, and Tidal (haven’t tried Qobuz yet). Those are the only way I listen to them. Was listening to them in Roon last night and they sound damn good. 

2 minutes ago, Boaty McBoatface said:

This reminds me. I hadn’t owned any of these before the repress, so I bought them all, individually, from random sources over the winter. I knew there were lots of interesting colours and variations in existence (props to @Sad Heart) but didn’t know what I would end up receiving, nor did I really care which variants I ended up with. 
And man, was that a good thing:

spacer.png

...I also have the yellow pressing of Waking Season 🙄

Yahhhhhh. All piss colored, but fitting cause they sound like piss. 

I honestly forgot there was a yellow copy of WS, and that I own it. Haha. 

Also, announcement coming soon. Stay tuned…

41 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

I’ve had many conversations with Jonny about the poor quality of the pressings. We’re figuring something out. One day we’ll get good pressings. Until then you have 16bit via BC, Deezer, and Tidal (haven’t tried Qobuz yet). Those are the only way I listen to them. Was listening to them in Roon last night and they sound damn good. 

So, it's not just Moksha.  My entire copy is scratched on the left channel for LP1.  I stopped playing it because I'm not about to fuck with my $450 cartridge haha.  I put on "The Quietest Place on Earth" by WLTS afterward to make sure nothing happened to my stylus that may have caused this, and i had just played that before we left for Hilton Head last Thursday.  Of course, that played perfectly.  This just sounds like trash.  Which sucks because the master is really, really good - the music itself sound stellar, but the vinyl itself is fucked.  Real shame. 

Honestly, just tell the band to pay the money and have them done at RTI.  Flawless shit out of there.  There has to be a label willing to take it on. 

Also not on topic, but those KEF's are real nice especially for things with vocals.  Cult of Luna, Blankenberge, EF..... fuck.  It's like they're sining literally feet away from you.  Absolutely crazy. 

43 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

So, it's not just Moksha.  My entire copy is scratched on the left channel for LP1.  I stopped playing it because I'm not about to fuck with my $450 cartridge haha.  I put on "The Quietest Place on Earth" by WLTS afterward to make sure nothing happened to my stylus that may have caused this, and i had just played that before we left for Hilton Head last Thursday.  Of course, that played perfectly.  This just sounds like trash.  Which sucks because the master is really, really good - the music itself sound stellar, but the vinyl itself is fucked.  Real shame. 

Honestly, just tell the band to pay the money and have them done at RTI.  Flawless shit out of there.  There has to be a label willing to take it on. 

Also not on topic, but those KEF's are real nice especially for things with vocals.  Cult of Luna, Blankenberge, EF..... fuck.  It's like they're sining literally feet away from you.  Absolutely crazy. 

That’s good soundstage, my dude. 

My next purchases are the Klipsch Forte IVs and Cambridge Audio CXN V2. 

If you want an album that’ll test your speakers you should play the SACD version of RATM’s S/T. It’s insane. 

Edited by Sad Heart

14 hours ago, Sad Heart said:

That’s good soundstage, my dude. 

My next purchases are the Klipsch Forte IVs and Cambridge Audio CXN V2. 

If you want an album that’ll test your speakers you should play the SACD version of RATM’s S/T. It’s insane. 

Yeah, I'm very impressed with the vocal imaging.  It's ridiculous.  Everything else is fine/good.  I think we need to fine tune the speaker placement still, but man... what a difference.  I've definitely noticed that some albums still have surface noise, but others that were super noisy on the original setup are much, much improved.  So weird how that happens. 

Does your DO Four Trees have this issue though? 

20 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah, I'm very impressed with the vocal imaging.  It's ridiculous.  Everything else is fine/good.  I think we need to fine tune the speaker placement still, but man... what a difference.  I've definitely noticed that some albums still have surface noise, but others that were super noisy on the original setup are much, much improved.  So weird how that happens. 

Does your DO Four Trees have this issue though? 

Have you tried toe-ing them in? Also, here’s a great site to that’ll help: 

http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_main.php

And if memory serves, no. They didn’t sound good, but no defects.