PO: Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers

7 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

Always warms my heart to see the more limited variants held back until after the initial release sells out, ensuring a lot of fans end up buying multiple copies...

'Tis the season.

Didn't Bullmoose tweet something to the effect that they announced these variants on RSDBF to try to combat flippers and price gouging?

1 hour ago, Plarocks said:

Yeah, a record needs to be THAT good for me to pay that much for it.

I keep detailed year-end lists on my blog, and I just looked back through the last 20 years. "Welcome Interstate Managers" is my favorite album released post-2000 that had not been previously available on vinyl--so I honestly would have paid just about anything.  (In case anyone is wondering what would be next (last 20 years, not on vinyl) would be Eisley's "Combinations.")

But I do agree I think it is reasonable to keep double albums $30 and below. I still haven't bought the Avett Brother's  "Closer Than Together" because of the insane original $49.99 list price. The price of that album does continue to drop, and I just noticed it is now $32.49 on Amazon, so I am close to paying that. I have been waiting for it to get under $30.

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

I keep detailed year-end lists on my blog, and I just looked back through the last 20 years. "Welcome Interstate Managers" is my favorite album released post-2000 that had not been previously available on vinyl--so I honestly would have paid just about anything.  (In case anyone is wondering what would be next (last 20 years, not on vinyl) would be Eisley's "Combinations.")

But I do agree I think it is reasonable to keep double albums $30 and below. I still haven't bought the Avett Brother's  "Closer Than Together" because of the insane original $49.99 list price. The price of that album does continue to drop, and I just noticed it is now $32.49 on Amazon, so I am close to paying that. I have been waiting for it to get under $30.

Yeah, people are not rushing to pay $50 for a new release album, unless it is an purposely underpressed release from a very hot band, or a very popular rap artist. I got burned waiting for a VMP or standard pressing of Chance’s “The Big Day.”

About 80% of the time, I save money with the waiting game like you do. 👍🏻

LOVE me some Eisley as well. Glad I grabbed Room Noises when it was cheap! 

Edited by Plarocks

One thing to consider about the price, though. A small independent REISSUE-ONLY label (Real Gone Records) licensed this album from one of the largest Major Labels in the world (Virgin Records, now EMI). From experience, I know how awful these kind of deals can be for whoever is attempting to release the record. There's a lot that goes on behind closed doors of making past major label vinyl a thing. My guess is that even with negotiations, the licensing fee for pressing this hit-including major label album was completely astronomical. And what's unfortunately likely is that Virgin (who owns the exclusive rights to the recordings) has absolutely no plans to reissue this album themselves, let alone on vinyl. "We're not planning on doing anything with this music ever, but you want to press it? We'll license it to you for a price point that's beyond capabilities of you making any worthy profit." It's happened to my own band and other friends who had records on major labels. It's awful.

• 1 month later...

Excellent news about the self titled. Haven't found a link yet, but I did find a red press of Welcome Interstate Managers that looks like it's for Europe only. If this is news to anyone else!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Welcome-Interstate-Managers-Vinyl-VINYL/dp/B08R7GY6F7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fountains+of+wayne+red+vinyl&qid=1610625549&sr=8-1

Edited by big_chuck

I contacted my local record store and they were able to put in a special order on the Fountains of Wayne- s/t red transparent for me. They said they will get it in early March and call me when it arrives.

I did also order it on Amazon, but it seems Amazon has a sketchy history on whether or not they fulfill Music on Vinyl orders; so I may cancel or return that one.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...