"New" to Vinyl AND this Forum

I just bought my first turntable. I used this forum, a few others and a lot of web searches and ended up buying a U-Turn Orbit Special (no internal preamp). I bought a Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 for the preamp and for NOW, it's going to be run through my Marantz home theater receiver to be played on a Bose Acoustimass system. In the new year I plan to buy Audio Engine A5 + powered speaker for the turntable setup to be completely stand alone.

I'm a musician, a songwriter, my band manager and a music student studying production at Berklee. I LOVE my music and I don't see me buying CD's anymore. But I DO want to start getting into vinyl for albums and artists that I really love. My collection will be for listening enjoyment AND for rare/unique/signed albums. I JUST bought the Tom Petty Wildflowers and All the Rest 9LP Ultra edition for about $500, so I wanted a setup worthy to play Tom's masterpiece. I have a small collection of other records ranging from some old (but not rare) Beatles stuff to more recent Aerosmith and Petty collections.

U-Turn Audio seems like a great company to deal with, and I'm excited to get my gear so I can set it all up and start listening. So far, I don't really have any lingering questions, BUT I will ask if there are any things I MIGHT not be thinking of that I should be aware of? Any tips, tricks, things you wish someone had told you before you put the needle down for the first time?

Thanks to all of you for this great forum. It really was a great help in helping me learn about the platter, plinth, cartridges, needles, arms, preamps, power amps, speakers, ect. I look forward to growing another expensive hobby!

OH, and if anyone has a line on a first pressing of Tom Petty Wildflowers from 1994, please let me know. Signed...even better. It's my all time favorite album by ANYONE.

• 1 month later...

I bought a Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 for the preamp and for NOW, it's going to be run through my Marantz home theater receiver to be played on a Bose Acoustimass system. In the new year I plan to buy Audio Engine A5 + powered speaker for the turntable setup to be completely stand alone.

That is nice choice for sure. If you will ever need a great web resource, with audio interfaces on the audio-related website, I can share with you this link ( here: https://stereodamage.com/apogee-duet-vs-apollo-twin/ ), with nice comparison of such audio interfaces, which allow you to take in count all the pros and cons about each model.

Edited by benneto909

• 4 weeks later...