Victory Records Auction

Alright.

overall the office was a mess. There was shit everywhere. The plaques and posters on the walls would have been cool but it looked more like a dorm ready to be demolished. 

The person that gave me the tour is a victory screen printing employee. I don’t think he worked for victory records.  He was very nice but I wasn’t allowed to touch anything so I didn’t get a good look. Also he stayed close by so I couldn’t wander. He did offer his advice for what was in the boxes when I asked. There were like 5 other people in the office working. So it looks like the victory screen printing and other businesses are still operational but maybe have new owner or are restructuring debt or they are moving (probably downsizing). but there were people still working at desks that will be sold Wednesday so  I am guessing they are still employed. 

I walked past a bunch of dead stock shirts and hoodies for cro mags and insight but the auction number isn’t in the system so I guess the actual inventory got pulled. 

he said I was the first person to look at the records in person. But someone from Pennsylvania is coming tomorrow. I don’t know how people are bidding so much without going out there. 

the office was quite big and took up two floors of the building. 

they didn’t have record mailing supplies for sale but said they get them from capital containers who is in the same building. The person said they were really good. 

The records. 

lot  471 - 

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bscwint/catalogue-id-winter1-10009/lot-a1f34d0d-0674-435b-91e6-ac810002c6ca

this is the big one. I counted about 80 total boxes. I was told they are all test presses and not laquers, acetates, stampers, etc. but I did not see. There are probably a couple test presses per release in the the boxes and the boxes likely have 2-4 different releases in each box. 

the picture is so shitty as all of the information is on the side that wasn’t photographed. Here are some of the numbers I got. I believe the catalog numbers are 3 digits 001-775. If there are 4 digits it means repress. So 1451 is Thursday full collapse repress and 1001 is snapcase designs for automation repress. Most of the numbers I read had a year next to them. Most of them were more recent 2013 - present so a lot of the tests are for repressed or things that weren’t originally pressed. 

here are the numbers I got. Plus whatever you can read in the picture. Once again the category number seems to be XXX or XXX1 for a repress. 

In the picture it says 0991 war zone. That is 099 repress so which is “the victory years”

numbers I saw on side. 
1451, 649, 666, 669, 131, 259, 290, 218,171, 1001.

lot 493 - 

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bscwint/catalogue-id-winter1-10009/lot-40fb2693-0665-4243-aa59-ac810002c6ca

trunk of test presses. I got to look inside but not touch. They appear to all be tests. My best guess are these are the OG tests. Some of the white sleeves had discoloration. There are like 250 (employee said 300) tests in the box. I got no numbers. 

lot 324 - 

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bscwint/catalogue-id-winter1-10009/lot-791babbf-5c82-4e62-927a-ac810002c6c1

book shelf with cds and records. The bottom two rows have records. All that stood out was like 5 copiers of ADTR homesick. Like 10 random cassettes too. 

Lot 366 - 

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bscwint/catalogue-id-winter1-10009/lot-25f3e8ba-049d-434a-9796-ac810002c6c1

bookshelf with promos. There was like one of each sampler cd and a few sampler cassettes. Covers are faded. There were some like deluxe cds that might have been like Walmart or target exclusives. 

Lot 600

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bscwint/catalogue-id-winter1-10009/lot-3c70f8d2-49cc-455f-a885-ac810002c6cf

this is supposedly one of each cd from albums that were inprint when it was sold. 

lot 562

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bscwint/catalogue-id-winter1-10009/lot-946769d7-c7d5-4767-bdc1-ac810002c6cf

poly bags and white innner sleeves. 

What does all of that mean. 

with the price that the lots are currently at and the fact that it’s basically a blind buy I do not feel comfortable buying the lots by myself. 

I would be willing to be the financial side of the “collective” and would throw in $500. However I don’t have the resources to be the person packing up the records and mailing them. 

if we can pull together like 20 people and make a bid I would explain how this could work monetarily but need someone with a bunch of free time to do the shipping.  

Just now, Tidal Wave said:

with the price that the lots are currently at and the fact that it’s basically a blind buy I do not feel comfortable buying the lots by myself. 

I would be willing to be the financial side of the “collective” and would throw in $500. However I don’t have the resources to be the person packing up the records and mailing them. 

if we can pull together like 20 people and make a bid I would explain how this could work monetarily but need someone with a bunch of free time to do the shipping.  

Also we only have until Wednesday to figure this out. 

Fuck dude, that's awesome you went and reported back.  I'll throw $500 in the pot, but like you, I wouldn't want to pack and mail to other backers across the country.  Definitely a gamble, and not sure if there is enough time to put it all together, but I can pitch in $500 without my wife killing me.  And I can take off work Thursday to help you move it all.  

5 minutes ago, skidroje said:

Fuck dude, that's awesome you went and reported back.  I'll throw $500 in the pot, but like you, I wouldn't want to pack and mail to other backers across the country.  Definitely a gamble, and not sure if there is enough time to put it all together, but I can pitch in $500 without my wife killing me.  And I can take off work Thursday to help you move it all.  

That’s too funny. The $500 is also my “without my wife killing” amount. 

20 minutes ago, FlippingOut said:

so is Victory Records dead?

21 minutes ago, FlippingOut said:

so is Victory Records dead?

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/concord-acquires-victory-records-and-publishing-company-1203354630/

victory records was sold October 2019. 

the building seems to have been mainly housing victory screenprinting since victory records was sold. 

3 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

As it all seems to be tests, my take is that the name of the game is re-selling them all. But the problem that presents with a Collective model is, it's gonna take a long-ass time to sell all that off. Some stuff will do really well; 4 tests of whatever new chud they pressed in 2018... not so much. And if everybody splits the profit proportionally, based on their original investment, everybody has to wait until the end to cash out. There's no way we can predict, or guarantee a certain amount of profit to everybody, because we're not Virgil. Frame of reference, there's currently about $1500 proffered by folks in this thread.

I don't want to post the number publicly, but, if the numbers don't spike too much higher, I'd still lean toward buying them outright. I'm open to a group purchase, but is everybody content to wait for like a year until everything sells? Or Paul, do you see another way of the finances shaking out? I can't take January and February off to inventory and sell everything, so I'd have to spread it out.

I just emailed the auctioneer to ask if I can physically inspect the pallet tomorrow. I'd be happy with looking in a couple of the top boxes, and picking up a couple more, just to gauge weight. I'd also like to snap some more photos of the catalog numbers. Their T&C explicitly say that inspections are encouraged, so we'll see!

Edited by smailtronic
added info

I did some research with numbers @Tidal Wave found, plus what I could see from the photos. Here are the listings for test presses (if available), or regular pressings within those catalog numbers.

VR062  Warzone — Fight For Justice

VR099  Warzone — Victory Years

VR100  Snapcase — Designs For Automotion
VR131  Buried Alive — Last Rites

VR145  Thursday — Full Collapse

VR171  unknown

VR218  Atreyu — The Curse

VR259  Aiden — Nightmare Anatomy

VR279  The Tossers — The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death

VR290  Darkest Hour — So Sedated, So Secure

VR589  Silverstein — Decade (Live At The El Mocambo)

VR649  Close Your Eyes — Empty Hands And Heavy Hearts

VR666  The Royalty — Lovers

VR669  Sister Sin — Now And Forever

VR715  Feed Her To The Sharks — Fortitude

VR717 Colours — Ivory

VR728  Jungle Rot — Order Shall Prevail

VR751  Reverend Horton Heat — Whole New Life

VR759  Jungle Rot — Jungle Rot

VR764  Carousel Kings — Plus Ultra

I would be happy to throw in $400-500 if I can get my hands on just 3-5 test pressings (preferably of BTBAM, Hatebreed, Snapcase, or Thursday).
Perhaps we can also devise a system to give those who do invest first pick of what may be available. I'm only looking for a handful of test presses to hold onto. Any profits from selling y'all can keep.

Edited by angryalan

Ok, so I (like many others mentioned) am on the list of people who are willing to contribute a hundred or two.

BUT, like pointed out above, this is a logistics nightmare.

So, I am watching closely but its a 'soft commit' until we can get pen to paper with final details.

Specifically its a question of if product is being divvy'd up physically between contributors, or one person is reselling and splitting profits.

The latter seems way simpler, but has a huge non-financial investment from the person managing the sales.
Also, a bit more trust is required assuming its years of sales, they could disappear or cash is easily skimmed etc.

I guess there is possibly some "third" version of this... where the contributing individuals get "poker chips" equal to their investment.

Then, there is a second auction of sorts within our buyers group, where people use their investment capital to bid on subsets of the merch?

Lots to figure out here..

(also that "The Curse" TP would be fun to own).

3 hours ago, hookups96 said:

So everyone is in for flipping this for profit or do people want the records for them selves? 

That's also part of the difficulty with a group thing. I think everybody's interested in keeping some number of the tests. You could structure it so that every $X put in allows you to keep X number of tests, but not knowing what all's in there means there may not be any of what an individual wants. It also could impact the total profit by removing more valuable records from the sale pile.

I'd be interested to hear (today) from the folks who have said they'd throw in a couple hundred bucks. What are you hoping to get out of this? What does success look like for you? God, that sounds like I'm at work, sorry. Agreeing on a single focus/plan of action may not even be possible.

Alan, thanks for listing them out. I looked them up on Discogs yesterday too, and while it was mostly newer stuff (like Paul said), there are catalog numbers back into the early hundreds which is more in line with where the good stuff is.

9 hours ago, smailtronic said:

I just emailed the auctioneer to ask if I can physically inspect the pallet tomorrow. I'd be happy with looking in a couple of the top boxes, and picking up a couple more, just to gauge weight. I'd also like to snap some more photos of the catalog numbers. Their T&C explicitly say that inspections are encouraged, so we'll see!

Let us know what you find. I can put together a catalog of what is on the pallets. I'd be interested to see what's in that case with miscellaneous test presses. Of course they are likely all unlabeled and you'd need to go by runout numbers. I'm wondering if those are older test presses though.

I agree with @V3XED that this will be a logistical nightmare. If I lived in or near Chicago I would be happy to assist in person, but alas, I am in NY. That being said, I can help virtually and do some additional research, cataloging, potential values of which items to be resold, keeping track of who invested how much, etc.

I think we are kind of on the same page. 

the collective model would be kind of a hybrid of collector and reseller. 

Investors would have the opportunity to purchase records before any are sold. Any records they want are deducted from their investment amount. 

once the investors have bought, the rest are sold off until everyone getting their initial investment back. Once that happens all the records are split up and the investor has the opportunity to keep or reinvest their allotment.