Victory Records Auction

The selling part I don’t have the time for. But the investment part would be very simple for me. I would do it all on a google doc to do that every can see exactly what has been sold and what they are due. They would be periodic amounts sent back so that you start to see return faster. 

say every 10 records sold you get your percentage due back. 

doing to in google docs would be my best way to be completely transparent 

This is quite the interesting auction...

I live in Baltimore, so from a pickup / selling perspective, I cant really help there.

To answer the question of "what's in it for me" to invest, I'm really just interested in tests from BTBAM, TBS, and Silverstein. Possibly some others at a stretch, but really just those bands. From that perspective, I'm open to buying those post auction (depending on whats there) if this goes through as that seems the easiest from my perspective, but would be willing to invest some up front to help with the purchase coming through if needed. That would likely be a few hundred (let's say $150-$250ish), as I'm less interested in making profit longterm than just getting some tests from some bands I always come back to with the thought of cashing out from that perspective.

(Google Doc link available for select VC members)

Start of a Google Doc with currently known records (on pallet) and "Investors," which is just a list of everyone who has replied to this thread. Note that not everyone wants to throw in money. I am just keeping track of everyone.

Edited by angryalan

1 hour ago, angryalan said:

Start of a Google Doc with currently known records (on pallet) and "Investors," which is just a list of everyone who has replied to this thread. Note that not everyone wants to throw in money. I am just keeping track of everyone.

Alan, can I ask that you only grant access to established board members who PM you about it first? If there're any potential bidders watching this thread remotely (and this is the second Google result for victory records auction), I don't want to be doing their work for them.

Edited by smailtronic
removed url

If I wasn't in NY I would say I would handle it, but I feel like shipping the pallet to NY would cost a lost. 

My thought was almost like a fantasy draft. 

Someone would have to inventory all records (Bands, Titles, Quantity). 

We generate random picking orders. 

Then basically run a draft one night picking records. 

The person who cataloged everything would then need to ship out the records. 

It would be up to that person to then decide what they keep, and what they try to flip for profit. 

Buy in would have to be even across everyone who wanted in. 

I personally know I would keep a bunch of these. It also doesn't just flood the market all at once with these test, as people could put them up for sale when and where they wanted too. 

Even that trunk of records at $4k (currently I think at $2100) if there are 250 records in it, it would be $16 a pop. I would be interested in on that too if anyone was also interested. 

Like I said, if we can get them to NY I would be able to use my garage and get these organized and back out to people if we want to work this draft style. I plan on taking a staycation in January anyways because I'm maxed out on PTO time at my job.  

I think that we really need to answer the following questions:

- Who will officially bid on the auction(s)?

- Will that person be able to pay for the auction in full upon winning? (The last thing I would want to do here is have someone stuck with a $5,000 invoice with no way to pay for it)

- Will that person be able to pick up an entire pallet of boxes? (Do they have a truck, van, car? The pick up date is Thursday the 10th, starting at 8am and must be fully claimed by 12/31.  There is info about rigging/removal to presumably take the pallet from the 5th floor to a loading dock.)

- How long will it take to sort through all of the boxes? (Hell, I could possibly host a video chat while the person opens the boxes and shouts out the items, catalog numbers to me and I put them in the Google Doc.)

Edited by angryalan

3 hours ago, Tidal Wave said:

I think we are kind of on the same page. 

the collective model would be kind of a hybrid of collector and reseller. 

Investors would have the opportunity to purchase records before any are sold. Any records they want are deducted from their investment amount. 

once the investors have bought, the rest are sold off until everyone getting their initial investment back. Once that happens all the records are split up and the investor has the opportunity to keep or reinvest their allotment. 

I like this idea. Google spreadsheet of what's available. Let people who bought in bid against each other (using their buy in money) for tests they want to keep. Then we'd sell whatever's leftover. This could take time, but we could divvy up any profits every ~4 months or so. I'd be happy to throw some $$ in and do some of the selling/shipping. Also agree with @smailtronicmaybe we should take this to a group PM with those who have said they were interested.

26 minutes ago, shenanigans said:

...looking at the picture of the trunk the tests may not be labeled and that could make figuring out what each one is time consuming

I almost find the trunk more interesting as I wonder if it could be earlier stuff rather than new stuff where test presses seem to be pressed by the box. More of a mystery.

I'm sort of tempted by all of this, but I'd only be interested in Integrity, and I think that's unlikely. That being said, I could be convinced to throw some coin this way.

1 hour ago, angryalan said:

I think that we really need to answer the following questions:

- Who will officially bid on the auction(s)?

- Will that person be able to pay for the auction in full upon winning? (The last thing I would want to do here is have someone stuck with a $5,000 invoice with no way to pay for it)

- Will that person be able to pick up an entire pallet of boxes? (Do they have a truck, van, car? The pick up date is Thursday the 10th, starting at 8am and must be fully claimed by 12/31.  There is info about rigging/removal to presumably take the pallet from the 5th floor to a loading dock.)

- How long will it take to sort through all of the boxes? (Hell, I could possibly host a video chat while the person opens the boxes and shouts out the items, catalog numbers to me and I put them in the Google Doc.)

Based on what I find out later today (and where the prices go tomorrow), I'm still planning to bid, and can pay in full (full payment is required w/in 48 hours). I'd rent a small moving van and a jack to get it out, but boy would I love some help carrying it all up the four flight of stairs into my place! If I win, I'd look to move it out either this Friday the 11th, or next Friday. I'd most likely be limited to nights/weekends for sorting/organizing, but video chatting would definitely help move it along. It's a huge effort just to identify and reorganize the physical items, let alone digitize the records too.

2 minutes ago, rrd said:

To me the trunk seems more interesting than the pallet. The older tests are probably the good stuff.

I'm thinking the same thing.

@smailtronic I wonder if  you can paw through a few of those to see if they have any writing on them. I know some Victory Records test presses have "VR---" written in pen in an upper corner of the sleeve.

1 minute ago, angryalan said:

I'm thinking the same thing.

@smailtronic I wonder if  you can paw through a few of those to see if they have any writing on them. I know some Victory Records test presses have "VR---" written in pen in an upper corner of the sleeve.

For sure, I'm also more intrigued by the trunk, and am going to try and look through it a bit.

3 hours ago, smailtronic said:

Based on what I find out later today (and where the prices go tomorrow), I'm still planning to bid, and can pay in full (full payment is required w/in 48 hours). I'd rent a small moving van and a jack to get it out, but boy would I love some help carrying it all up the four flight of stairs into my place! If I win, I'd look to move it out either this Friday the 11th, or next Friday. I'd most likely be limited to nights/weekends for sorting/organizing, but video chatting would definitely help move it along. It's a huge effort just to identify and reorganize the physical items, let alone digitize the records too.

I would come to Chicago just to help with this is if hadn't just broken my foot. Stairs and organizing are my jam. 

Edited by Buffbloom

2 hours ago, Buffbloom said:

Also, how fun would this be to watch unboxed on a live stream?! 

Id be down to do that. Ill do all the youtuber tropes

We paid xxxx dollars, that's right only xxxx dollars for this pallet

If you want a piece of this action there will be a link in the description where you can look to see if what you are looking for is still available 

This is brought to you by raid shadow legends