PO: Metallica (6 Albums, Walmart Exclusive Variants)

10 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

giving a corporation like Walmart fucking vinyl exclusives

do this shit with a local record store - this shit sucks - same goes with Urban Outfitters and Target too.

Would you expect anything else from Metallica?

Edited by Tastetherainbow

13 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

do this shit with a local record store - this shit sucks - same goes with Urban Outfitters and Target too.

Nothing says helping out the little guy like Metallica....I think they have long ago proven they only care about the dollars, and why shouldn't they after they have worked to get where they are.  They have workers to pay and families to feed, they can't tour and are looking to get the funds where they can.

34 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

Not every town has a cool record store. Maybe this release is for the kid who picks it up in nowheresville USA and it changes his life. 

I also think its pointless to adhere DIY punk mentality to a band of Metallica’s level. You want to talk corporations, they ARE a corporation 

Edited by sugareggs

16 minutes ago, sugareggs said:

I also think its pointless to adhere DIY punk mentality to a band of Metallica’s level. You want to talk corporations, they ARE a corporation 

This. Let Metallica profit off of people who buy their music at Walmart. The good music and honest artists will be supported by people who also willingly support local businesses.

1 hour ago, stl_ben said:

Nothing says helping out the little guy like Metallica....I think they have long ago proven they only care about the dollars, and why shouldn't they after they have worked to get where they are.  They have workers to pay and families to feed, they can't tour and are looking to get the funds where they can.

that's not the point - they could have done these exclusive variants spread out to the indie stores around the country - the band is gonna get their money whatsoever but that influx of cash would have been better for small businesses than a ruthless corporation like Walmart

52 minutes ago, Uw0tm8 said:

This. Let Metallica profit off of people who buy their music at Walmart. The good music and honest artists will be supported by people who also willingly support local businesses.

missing the point - let the huge fanbase that Metallica has give their money to small businesses that need it. fuck Walmart - of course there are people on this board defending fucking Walmart lol 

1 hour ago, sugareggs said:

Not every town has a cool record store. Maybe this release is for the kid who picks it up in nowheresville USA and it changes his life. 

cool record stores also have online shops - fuck Walmart 

11 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

missing the point - let the huge fanbase that Metallica has give their money to small businesses that need it. fuck Walmart - of course there are people on this board defending fucking Walmart lol 

And you’re missing my point - Metallica’s fan base don’t appear to me to be the type of people who give their money to small business. They shop at Walmart. Metallica can take advantage of that. Fuck ‘em. People who support small business typically also appreciate & support good, honest, independent music. People like you and me. I fully agree with you: Fuck Walmart. 

9 minutes ago, drewberinger said:

cool record stores also have online shops - fuck Walmart 

I totally agree. Fuck Walmart. But everyone has to start somewhere. If someone new to vinyl picks up some titles from Walmart and then continues by searching out independent avenues, then it’s a win all around. 

If if you don’t like it, don’t buy it, but I see no reason to deny other people easy access to getting into vinyl. More people = more demand = more records 

Metallica's fan base is huge, and I seriously doubt a high percentage of them are actively seeking out exclusive pressings at independent shops. Their main target is casual shoppers, but both Walmart and the labels know they will also get record nerds in there with these exclusive pressings. They are just trying to move units - that's really their ONLY objective.

I mean, fuck Walmart and all. But come on. Do we actually think labels like Elektra give a shit about supporting independent record stores? This cash-in on repressing vinyl is just a way continue profiting off of these albums. 

Edit: Apparently these are being release through Metallica's label, Blackened Recordings, not Elektra. So it's Metallica as a business entity that doesn't care. Same thing, though. 

Edited by mitchard