PO: Metallica (6 Albums, Walmart Exclusive Variants)

1 hour ago, twatay said:

Imagine getting upset over Metallica reissuing their classic records exclusively with the country’s biggest retailer (and distributor) in 2020.

imagine defending buying vinyl at Walmart in 2020

but seriously no one is upset but i just think it’s fucked seeing these exclusives go big box retailers when small businesses are closing every where 

2 hours ago, Uw0tm8 said:

This. Let Metallica profit off of people who buy their music at Walmart. The good music and honest artists will be supported by people who also willingly support local businesses.

those good and honest artists probably don't move the amount of units a Metallica record moves - imagine the influx of cash a local shop would get if these were given to indie shops (not just Metallica either - Weezer, REM, Ariana Grande etc)

1 hour ago, mitchard said:

Metallica's fan base is huge, and I seriously doubt a high percentage of them are actively seeking out exclusive pressings at independent shops. Their main target is casual shoppers, but both Walmart and the labels know they will also get record nerds in there with these exclusive pressings. They are just trying to move units - that's really their ONLY objective.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement: 0:13

I mean, fuck Walmart and all. But come on. Do we actually think labels like Elektra give a shit about supporting independent record stores? This cash-in on repressing vinyl is just a way continue profiting off of these albums. 

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement: 0:28

Edit: Apparently these are being release through Metallica's label, Blackened Recordings, not Elektra. So it's Metallica as a business entity that doesn't care. Same thing, though. 

I think you underestimate the fan base of Metallica - there are enough dedicated and crazy fans of their's that they'll seek any new variant or pressing regardless of where it's sold - which is why it sucks even more that Walmart has these exclusives. The casual Metallica fan isn't gonna care - all this is doing is driving nerds like us away from local shops to big box retailers to get an exclusive pressing.

You're acting like Metallica just decided to gift Walmart these records so they could sell them. In all likelihood Walmart, Target, Urban Outfitters, etc, etc, are the ones financing these releases up front for exclusive rights to them in their stores. Saying some Mom & Pop record store should just license and press exclusive Metallica records is a bit silly.

6 minutes ago, Olsvik said:

You're acting like Metallica just decided to gift Walmart these records so they could sell them. In all likelihood Walmart, Target, Urban Outfitters, etc, etc, are the ones financing these releases up front for exclusive rights to them in their stores. Saying some Mom & Pop record store should just license and press exclusive Metallica records is a bit silly.

that's a fair point sure but doesn't make it any less gross. probably why I appreciate Rhino Records rocktober stuff every year cuz they release special variants for older/classic records for indies. 

2 hours ago, stl_ben said:

Where is the extreme hate for Taylor Swift having an exclusive Target version of a record.....

I don't mean this to simp for Target but Walmart is notoriously known for being the bottom level for how they treat their workers while the founding family is the richest family in the US.
Target is generally memed about how much fun it is to shop there 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, ingoodhands said:

I don't mean this to simp for Target but Walmart is notoriously known for being the bottom level for how they treat their workers while the founding family is the richest family in the US.
Target is generally memed about how much fun it is to shop there 🤷‍♂️

True, but would Target would "Walmart" us if they had the chance?

I buy 99% of my vinyl online so I don't really care who sells them. I'm getting the self titled album and AJFA since those are the last two I really want from Metallica. I already have Hardwired and the remasters for Kill 'Em All. Master of Puppets and Ride The Lightning so no need to get those.

2 hours ago, Jesus Of Suburbia said:

I buy 99% of my vinyl online so I don't really care who sells them. I'm getting the self titled album and AJFA since those are the last two I really want from Metallica. I already have Hardwired and the remasters for Kill 'Em All. Master of Puppets and Ride The Lightning so no need to get those.

How are the remastered vs originals if you don't mind? I have originals of all these except s/t.

Interesting that an independent band would let Wal-Mart have exclusives of their releases, but I'm not entirely surprised. I'm sure someone with a ninja star logo shirt will get a Crosley for Christmas and love hunting down all the fun color Metallica reissues, and more power to them. There, now that I'm done being diplomatic, Metallica has been a brand for a long time now and it's starting to wear on the public's opinion I feel. They're a well-oiled machine that I respect for doing everything exactly the way they want to, and if these pressings are affordable and widely available then that's fine by me, but it doesn't mean I'm rushing to Wal-Mart to buy any of them.

17 hours ago, ROVVLES said:

Absolutely refuse to support Walmart or Amazon while they are literally stealing business away from small businesses.

Shame on anyone who buys these. And shame on the OP for sharing them.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

oh and I bought the first 5 albums on those gorgeous capitalist colors.

Edited by Tastetherainbow

I mean, they are nice colors variants for the artwork match. If I didn't have a personal grudge against Walmart and Amazon, I would consider grabbing Ride the Lightning for the color variant, and black album because that was the first one I really listened to from them. That video for "Until It Sleeps" is a fav for me as well.