[PO] The Appleseed Cast - Low Level Owl 20th Anniversary

Shelby

Received my copy of LLO from Burnt Toast today. It's a 10 out of 10. I own the Big School Records gold pressing as well, and this new version far surpasses that in overall quality and attention to detail.

It's a heavy weight trifold jacket with reflective printing. Tons of glossy photos. All LPs are clean and come in Gotta Groove MoFi-style rice paper inner sleeves. Also includes printed paper sleeves with additional artwork. A small insert with more photos and information. Recording notes, etc. The LPs are a little different from the mockups. I ordered the amber with black swirl but it ended up being more of a multicolor swirl. Doesn't really matter that much, just worth mentioning. Still looks greatm. I have only listened to Side A thus far. Plays clean. 

I think everyone here will be really pleased with this reissue.

My Teal copy arrived today and not only does it sound great, but the packaging and level of care that went into this is fantastic.

WHOOPS, I thought Thirty Something Records did this, but it was in fact Steadfast Records, who also did the Brandtson reissues which were also great. And wow, they actually still have copies of Send Us A Signal in stock.

Edited by MacDonals
messed up

On 6/23/2021 at 1:21 PM, BrainGilliams said:

I just received shipping confirmation for the band version I ordered from Appleseed Cast's bandcamp page.  Looks like Steadfast is handling the shipping for this one.

same! and then today i got shipping confirmation from BTV (for the tape edition). excited for this!

12 minutes ago, jerseydave77 said:

Got the band variant. Curious: when this was launched was the band version supposed to have a screened fold-over cover? I could have sworn it but can't find mention of it anywhere. 

yeah there was mention of a "letterpressed outerwrap" and an image to accompany it - there's even an image of it in the first post of this thread. did you not get one?

2 hours ago, jerseydave77 said:

I sent Steadfast a note since they did the shipping to me. Apparently the Band Variant does not get the cover. 

Seriously? They even made a mockup with it in it

FB-IMG-1607876681806.jpg

Did they say they changed it or that it didn't ever include it? I'll throw a fit if they lie haha

7 hours ago, The Fuck Whisperer said:

Seriously? They even made a mockup with it in it

FB-IMG-1607876681806.jpg

Did they say they changed it or that it didn't ever include it? I'll throw a fit if they lie haha

Dude. What is up with the Appleseed Bandcamp version. First Mare not being numbered and now various copies of Owls not getting the screen print slip. 

I can save you the mystery – Steadfast confirms that the band version was never supposed to come with an over wrap.  Not at all what I remember when placing the order, and it seems kind of questionable to have it absent from the most elusive version, belonging to the band itself… but;

“I’m so sorry to share disappointing news, but the overwraps were exclusive to the two record label preorder variants and were not included with the 3 variant band version or the natural colored retail version. The overwraps were limited to ~800 copies and have all gone out with those preorders. 
I wish I had extras, and am really sorry for the bummer news. Thank you.”

Edited by Derek™

1 hour ago, kas1985 said:

Of course I don’t have any way to prove it now, but I know there was definitely mention of the screen print on the band’s Bandcamp version. 
My copy should arrive today. 

This all seems very fishy. Also expecting my copy today of the band variant. I am 99% sure the band variant pre-order mentioned the screened overlap--I was way more excited about this than the three different colors of vinyl. Had I known the band variant didn't include the screen print, I would have ordered the teal variant from Steadfast. Anyone want to trade an unopened copy of the band variant for an unopened copy of the teal that includes the screen print? I assume the overwrap screen would not be included in the teal copies still in the Steadfast store, reading the email quote from Derek.

13 minutes ago, Alan P said:

This all seems very fishy. Also expecting my copy today of the band variant. I am 99% sure the band variant pre-order mentioned the screened overlap--I was way more excited about this than the three different colors of vinyl. Had I known the band variant didn't include the screen print, I would have ordered the teal variant from Steadfast. Anyone want to trade an unopened copy of the band variant for an unopened copy of the teal that includes the screen print? I assume the overwrap screen would not be included in the teal copies still in the Steadfast store, reading the email quote from Derek.

They still have them for their version in their store. This time since the band wasn't involved with the process if they don't wanna give me one I'm opening a dispute I don't really care. I know Chris wasn't sitting there making these mockups lol.

If you go to the Steadfast website you can see they just deleted the part about the wrap without fixing the sentence after they deleted it lol.

"Featuring restored artwork, packaged in a matte finish, spot gloss triple gatefold jacket with full color printed inner sleeves, a full color 11x36 tri-fold insert." 

Of which there's also no tri-fold insert. This label is sus as fuck.

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

If you manage to get hold of one by buying rather than trading, I'll gladly purchase the band variant from you.

24 minutes ago, lastvaultboy said:

If you manage to get hold of one by buying rather than trading, I'll gladly purchase the band variant from you.

I'll keep you in mind. Going to wait and see what is in my package that is supposed to be delivered today. After that I'll reach out to Steadfast. I actually love Steadfast Records and Matt does a great job--I've always had fantastic experiences with them. Unsure what happened with this situation.

It’s not the end of the world, but the professional thing to do is admit you fucked up, at the very least. It’s just that much more aggravating when the last band edition was supposed to be hand numbered and wasn’t. And now we don’t get the customer slip cover for the band variant. But on top of it to go back and edit it like you didn’t say it and delete all traces from it? That’s some ETR type shit. 

34 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

It’s not the end of the world, but the professional thing to do is admit you fucked up, at the very least. It’s just that much more aggravating when the last band edition was supposed to be hand numbered and wasn’t. And now we don’t get the customer slip cover for the band variant. But on top of it to go back and edit it like you didn’t say it and delete all traces from it? That’s some ETR type shit. 

Don't forget about the part where you gaslight your customers.  "Oh the band version was never supposed to come with them, that was exclusive to the labels."  I mean... was it?

As people have pointed out, it's not the end of the world necessarily, but it's the principle more than anything else on a release that's $47 before shipping.  That advertised insert is nowhere to be found, either.  Not trying to fit the role of the "bitter vinyl collector who just complains for the sake of complaining" – because ultimately I'm very jazzed about what I'm reading and seeing photos of, so far – but still a little disappointing and handled poorly so far.