[PO] The Appleseed Cast - Low Level Owl 20th Anniversary

Shelby

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

So relieved to not be tempted by another copy of this one.  Personally find the reimagined art and variant to be kinda’ whack.

https://theappleseedcast.square.site/product/the-appleseed-cast-peregrine-2023-vinyl-reissue/33?cs=true&cst=custom

I agree. I have the last press (I think) and will probably sit this one out. I have doubles of Mare Vitalis and LLO as it is. And for reasons that I probably couldn’t articulate too well, it’s not one of my favorite Appleseed albums. 

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

So relieved to not be tempted by another copy of this one.  Personally find the reimagined art and variant to be kinda’ whack.

https://theappleseedcast.square.site/product/the-appleseed-cast-peregrine-2023-vinyl-reissue/33?cs=true&cst=custom

Every fucking time with Appleseed Cast. For the most part, I liked the new artwork that Graveface did, but it would be really nice if we could just get the original art.

I hate the cheesy artwork used for the Ring Wars reissue. I want to see the OG cover with that kid's wonky face...

3 hours ago, NapalmBrain said:

Sigh was hoping for a Sagarmatha reissue it's the only LP missing from my collection

Seems like we are likely to get Sagarmatha eventually. I hope so anyway. It is also the only record missing from my collection.

On a side note, there are no pressing numbers mentioned for this Peregrine release, makes me wonder if they are testing the waters with interest in the preorder before placing an order at the pressing plant. 

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Glad to see it readily available for the time being.  I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t have LLO on their shelf.

I have it, but haven't been able to connect with it.  I ***LOVE*** Sagarmatha and I really like Fleeting Light.  I have had most of their albums at one point, because I got them cheap, but sold them because none of them had great production or hit me like Sagarmatha does.  I really tried! 

Sagarmatha is so good though, I love that album.  I can't believe that people are asking what they are for that one, I thought it was universally loathed by hardcore fans. 

4 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Sagarmatha is so good though, I love that album.  I can't believe that people are asking what they are for that one, I thought it was universally loathed by hardcore fans. 

I have never heard this take. Great album!

Edited by 75 percent oof

vaguely remembering a VC thread remark from like 6-8 years ago to the effect of "i thought we all agreed no heroes is the least mindblowing converge" [with which i agree] and a similar, unrelated remark to the effect of "i thought we all agreed two conversations is the least essential appleseed cast record" [with which i disagree]

It really depends on the mood for me, but NH seldom feels like Converge’s weakest album in my books.  What would you place under it?

More on topic though: Two Conversations is far and away my least favorite Appleseed record but it’s not bad by any stretch of the imagination.  I’ve slowly warmed up to it – bit by bit – in more recent years.  But I also find that it’s outclassed by everything else in their discography.  Which is saying a lot but also not much of anything when you consider how consistent this band has been for 20+ years.

6 hours ago, Bronchitis said:

Sagarmatha is good but is easily my least favorite Appleseed album. I definitely don’t loathe it but am relatively indifferent to it. Raise the Sails is the absolute shit though.

That shift and back half of Sails is engrained in my head for good.  It bubbles up to the surface anytime I find myself remotely close to water and nice weather.  There are so many moments that continually feel great to get lost in on Sagarmatha.  Those first couple of tracks really linger and wallow in the grooves and soundscapes they build up – I find them incredibly entrancing.  One of my favorite listens of the album came when I visited a friend around midnight or so, maybe even later on in the night, where he had his turntable and speakers set up in a closed garage.  He just threw it on as a background tune to chat but between the music and the headspace of pushing 1 AM, we just kind of sat there and absorbed it.  Really cool.  It’s worth revisiting as a night listen if it’s been a while for you.

13 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I have it, but haven't been able to connect with it.  I ***LOVE*** Sagarmatha and I really like Fleeting Light.  I have had most of their albums at one point, because I got them cheap, but sold them because none of them had great production or hit me like Sagarmatha does.  I really tried! 

I saw them play the entire albums live 10 or so years ago and that really cemented these albums as all timers for me.