Line or Phono for Bass Amp?

On 12/20/2020 at 11:49 PM, rockittear said:

So at the moment I have my Audio-Technica LP120 connected to a bass guitar amp. It’s not the permanent set up, but while I’m using the amp should the build in pre amp on the turntable be on or off? Should I have it set to line or phono?

Buy a $20 portable speaker and hook it up to your table. It'll sound like shit, but still better than running it through a bass amp.

• 1 month later...

I'm a bass player. I also have that same TT for use at gigs during breaks. Through one of my bass setups this would sound almost hi-fi. But it would not sound very good in the other one. First, YES, you need to turn on the built in pre-amp. At that point it is just like any other piece of electronics that can be plugged into the "aux" jack. My main hi-fi has two phono inputs. I use them for my other two turntables and connect the AT LP120 through the Aux input, using it's built in pre. 

And as bad as this may sound through your bass amp, it may sound better than some cheap speakers out there, depending on your amp.  But if your budget is tight right now, and your bass amp has the stereo aux input (I used to use that for plugging my phone into the amp for playing songs I could then practice to. That's why the plug is there) this should actually be a "not bad" solution. Modern bass amps tend to sound more "hi-fi" than guitar amps for the simple reason that guitar amps NEED TO color the sound, and bass response is not part of their audio footprint. Bass amps, even fairly inexpensive ones, will give your much better bass and a lot more highs than people think, and they tend to be flatter throughout the frequency range. 

But I'd consider this just a temporary solution until you can afford something better. 

Gives me memories to the time in college a tweeter got broken in one of my speakers during a move, so to fill in the frequencies a bit I ran my receiver into my guitar amp. Worked well enough for a little while until I could scrape together the cash to deal with the speakers.

On 2/2/2021 at 10:03 AM, Direct driver said:

But if your budget is tight right now, and your bass amp has the stereo aux input (I used to use that for plugging my phone into the amp for playing songs I could then practice to. That's why the plug is there) this should actually be a "not bad" solution.

I run my iPhone into the aux input of my bass amp to listen to stuff while I'm setting up or cleaning at my practice space. Sounds great honestly. 

On 2/5/2021 at 9:10 AM, tape said:

Gives me memories to the time in college a tweeter got broken in one of my speakers during a move, so to fill in the frequencies a bit I ran my receiver into my guitar amp. Worked well enough for a little while until I could scrape together the cash to deal with the speakers.

I run my iPhone into the aux input of my bass amp to listen to stuff while I'm setting up or cleaning at my practice space. Sounds great honestly. 

Yep. It really depends on the amp. Some are surprisingly hi-fi.  Heck, my first bass speaker was an Acme low B2. at the time they were only about $350.  It is a 3 way bass speaker and a pair could be the speakers for a KILLER hi-fi system. They were that good. In fact, the biggest complaint from some people was that they were too "flat". And yes, they faithfully produced the low B from my fiver (32 hz). Flat is good in a world where tone comes, not from the speaker, but from the electronics and effects.  My Boss GT 6B puts whatever tone I want into my speakers.

Edit: HAHA! I just checked. They're $725 now. :)

Edited by Direct driver