Random Vinyl Shipping Rant: Split Seams

43 minutes ago, drds89 said:

Merry Christmas @unknown pleasures!

*Two*180 gm with printed inners - no seam splits - nor the outer jacket either. Caspian, On Circles and Ringo Deathstarr: ST  (see below)

The 2 other 180 gm had generic inner sleeves.  Previous years, I checked about a dozen including some 200 gm represses from Steven Wilson, and no generic inners were split, but the regular stock and thin glossy paper inner sleeves,  most had some splits (some more than others) -- no matter the weight of record.  I remember trying to find copies of ITTCT: Red Forest on Science of Silence in 2012 without inner sleeve splits, and I went through a lot of copies to cull out the 10%. They were not 180 gm, were shipped sealed to SoS, who then openend them and shipped outside the jacket. There were a significant number of outer jacket seam splits, too. That was the turning point for me about either imploding or accepting this is part of vinyl collecting. That being said, I'll do everything possible to ship a record without issues to remain that way upon reaching its destination.

I remember one label was so paranoid from frequent returns, they shipped the vinyl bare naked to slip and slide all around, so the jacket and inners remained as they received them from the plant. Can't remember which album or label it was but I almost $hit my pants opening up that mailer.

I stand corrected!

Those do look like some pretty heavy stock inners from what I can tell in the photos. I think labels have at least gotten better than that, I know records from the 80s/90s/00s had some really thin inners, sometimes no thicker than a regular sheet of printer paper.

On 12/23/2020 at 7:15 PM, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

but I (unfortunately) couldn't tell you the last time I actually got to go into a shop and buy a record, so most of my purchases over the last year have been via mail. 

Maybe if you left the Ghost Realm you'd be able to go into an actual store.

On 12/23/2020 at 7:15 PM, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

The way some folks in here are complaining makes it seem like every album they've gotten over the last year has had issues. Maybe I've just been lucky,

Meh. Imagine a forum where people can discuss things openly, only to have one member who thinks he owns the place essentially bullying people regarding their experiences.

Discussing the issue is how we raise awareness and influence positive change.

Edited by ROVVLES

On 12/24/2020 at 8:48 PM, JustSchwimmer said:

Why don't you ask the seller to open the record and place the record outside the sleeve? I'm sure any seller would do that for you and then you don't have to worry about it. 

What part of "the majority or records I did buy this year were shrink wrapped or just not taken out of jacket, when I specifically ask to do so" did you neglect to read in the post you responded to? I swear, some of you hipsters just like to argue. lmao

sassy dance GIF by Neurads

Edited by ROVVLES

15 minutes ago, ROVVLES said:

I swear, some of you hipsters just like to argue. 

If this forum was filled with anyone hip, at least they’d listen to reason instead of repeating the same shit. But this is also the same place where everyone creams about how they got a fucking tracking email.

No this place is filled with 32 year male troglodytes that got into collecting records after the second pressing of The Devil And God... Dipshits with beards and 300 records telling everyone else what’s up when they can’t tell me who Pete Shelley is.

Edited by MyEnemy

44 minutes ago, ROVVLES said:

Meh. Imagine a forum where people can discuss things openly, only to have one member who thinks he owns the place essentially bullying people regarding their experiences.

Discussing the issue is how we raise awareness and influence positive change.

Imagine a forum where someone expresses a dissenting opinion only to be accused of being a bully and thinking he owns the place. (Since you quoted me, I can only assume you mean me.) At least you seem to have gained a lot of experience on these boards from your two months of being a member.

spacer.png

Beyond my initial, somewhat sarcastic post I don’t think I’ve been mean to anyone in the slightest, and had a somewhat constructive conversation with @MyEnemy. Although judging by his last post it seems like he may not feel the same way about our conversation.

2 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Beyond my initial, somewhat sarcastic post I don’t think I’ve been mean to anyone in the slightest, and had a somewhat constructive conversation with @MyEnemy. Although judging by his last post it seems like he may not feel the same way about our conversation.

Nah, that was me just being hung over and talking shit about what I see on here as a whole. Venting. 

But we cool. It’s always good to have these conversations with people on here and have other understand and appreciate it. You my cyber bro.

7 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Nah, that was me just being hung over and talking shit about what I see on here as a whole. Venting. 

But we cool. It’s always good to have these conversations with people on here and have other understand and appreciate it. You my cyber bro.

Word. I had hoped so.

14 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

I stand corrected!

Those do look like some pretty heavy stock inners from what I can tell in the photos. I think labels have at least gotten better than that, I know records from the 80s/90s/00s had some really thin inners, sometimes no thicker than a regular sheet of printer paper.

Yes, very true. Most of my OG Peter Gabriel inners are shredded - very thin glossy. But the albums still sound great.

3 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

No this place is filled with 32 year male troglodytes that got into collecting records after the second pressing of The Devil And God... Dipshits with beards and 300 records telling everyone else what’s up when they can’t tell me who Pete Shelley is.

Do you have cameras hidden in my home or something?
And actchyually, I started with the second pressing of DEJA. Duh. 
🤣

11 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

No this place is filled with 32 year male troglodytes that got into collecting records after the second pressing of The Devil And God... 

Had a laugh at this one. One of the worst condition sealed records I've ended up with was Science Fiction– opened it up to find the top of the gatefold was split from corner to almost the middle of the cover, the edges were all peeling up a little, and the shrink had torn, leaving the back scuffed. Inner sleeve seam splits all around, of course.

And I bought that one in-store! Just happened to be the last copy and I didn't catch the giant split on the top of the cover before i checked out. All because they stuffed some giant idiotic poster in there with the record.

Oh well. Guess it proves that it's not only a symptom of buying online, but hey, still got the damn thing and it sounds fine. I roll my eyes when I see the giant cover split, but I just get used to things like that being a part of my personal copy of the album. If it was a playback flaw, though, it'd be a different story

I agree that 180g is usually the culprit and is totally unnecessary, but also hate the shoddy jacket quality we see so much, especially on albums that retail for $25-30.

I know it's unfair to compare pressing quality to the '60s and '70s when vinyl production was at its peak, but I don't see an excuse for why record jackets have to be made of so much shittier materials than was mainstream 50 years ago. It's just paper stock.