Speakers don’t work with my vintage record player

I have an old record player from the sixties, it has a small built in speaker which is awful, so I bought some speakers for it today but the sound doesn’t work. my record player only has 3 inputs which I think  are all just aux Inputs  “stereo” “radio” and “tape”. The speakers I bought are “Jvc Bluetooth bookshelf speakers” which connect to the record via rca (Speaker input) to aux (record player input). I got the speakers from curry’s and they told me that it should just plug in and work and that I wouldn’t need a preamp. I tried connecting a really bad little portable speaker I have to my record player via an aux to aux connection and it did work. I’ve also connected to my new speakers via Bluetooth which worked. so I have no idea why my speakers aren’t working. Is anybody able to help? Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 11:17 AM, Vincento96 said:

I have an old record player from the sixties, it has a small built in speaker which is awful, so I bought some speakers for it today but the sound doesn’t work. my record player only has 3 inputs which I think  are all just aux Inputs  “stereo” “radio” and “tape”. The speakers I bought are “Jvc Bluetooth bookshelf speakers” which connect to the record via rca (Speaker input) to aux (record player input). I got the speakers from curry’s and they told me that it should just plug in and work and that I wouldn’t need a preamp. I tried connecting a really bad little portable speaker I have to my record player via an aux to aux connection and it did work. I’ve also connected to my new speakers via Bluetooth which worked. so I have no idea why my speakers aren’t working. Is anybody able to help? Cheers

The information is confusing. The only input a turntable has is the cartridge - at the end of the tonearm. And the only output it has is almost always a couple of RCA connectors. If it is a moving magnet cartridge, this must be plugged into something that has a MM turntable RCA input. It sounds like your record player is part of a system that has Aux, Radio and Tape inputs as well as a built in turntable. The speakers are connected via two connections for each speaker. They usually take bare wires. Each pair of connectors connect to the end of a wire much like the wire in an extension cord. i.e. one large wire with two separately insulated wires in it. 

Bluetooth speakers are designed to be driven by something (a phone or iPad) that sends a wireless bluetooth signal. Your old system will not have that.  They also have on board power. Your old system isn't designed to connect to powered speakers. It powers "passive" speakers.

Many of us can help you out if you supply some raw model numbers (or pictures) of the connections on the equipment you own.

Edited by Direct driver