Stereolab - Switched On Vol. 04 (2/26) - Limited colored pressing

14 hours ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

So question for everyone.

I know PVC sleeves are terrible when exposed to vinyl but are they that bad when used to store the outer record packages like the Stereolab reissues?

In my experience, I would recommend storing them completely separately (which I do for any that have unique prints, colors, shapes, etc.) or else throwing them out (after carefully peeling off or cutting out any stickers, if you wish to keep them). 
When I scrubbed my collection to get rid of these sleeves a few years ago, I found that jackets stored in them stank like plasticky chemicals, and regular poly sleeves on records adjacent to them had weakened/rippled. And most of these were relatively recent releases (e.g. Mars Volta), so we’re not just talking about old ones from the 80s. Everything LOOKED fine, but that off-gassing is just no good. 

4 hours ago, timsimmons said:

or maybe they can just press more of the limited edition so that its available longer?

Then what would be limited about it? 

It's like people these days expect someone to come up, tap them on the shoulder and say 'pre-order's up'. Otherwise they're gonna head straight to facebook to piss and moan about not seeing the email, tweet, facebook post or whatever, and how they're really sad and it's ruined their day. Which is what forced Martin's hand with this lottery nonsense.

Most of us here would accept it as being part of record collecting. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes you find a variant that's better than the one you originally got your knickers in a twist over. 

But that doesn't mean I want my name written on the sleeve of every future Duophonic release. God forbid we need money in the future and want to sell off some of the collection and now have that shit to deal with. It's all kinda soured me on the label to be honest.

1 minute ago, moodist said:

But that doesn't mean I want my name written on the sleeve of every future Duophonic release. God forbid we need money in the future and want to sell off some of the collection and now have that shit to deal with. It's all kinda soured me on the label to be honest.

100% this.  Ditch the name on the jacket and just press more in general.  Less "personalized" but I think it's a fair trade to have limited editions in the fans of those who want them.  Really not stoked on the idea of having to win a lottery just to keep a "limited edition" Stereolab collection alive.  Resellers are really going to have a field day with that system.

Thankfully that lottery system wasn't implemented for the original run of reissues; would've been a massive pain in the ass to get all the obi-editions if that was the case. Personally I'm fine with releases dropping around 7am PST and have a few extra copies made available a few hours later once the initial hype dies down.

But yeah I agree personalizing every single (limited edition) copy is a bit excessive. I wonder if it'll be just a different colorway or they'll add different type of packaging to it or something. 

1 hour ago, moodist said:

Then what would be limited about it? 

That it would be limited to 5000 instead of 2000. Or 7000 instead of 5000.

If its a time zone thing, then stagger the stock release. 

The lottery is fair and I won't complain if I get shut out, but maybe we don't need to be so precious about making things that limited.

This is more of that “false scarcity” tactic that so many artists and labels are trying hype up, so they can sell more overpriced records.

Most people don’t even BUY music anymore, and yet the record labels are playing reindeer games with those of us that are left.

If you want to make money, make enough copies for everyone that wants one...geez. 🙄

Buy black vinyl, buy when it’s on sale. 

Edited by Plarocks

30 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

This is more of that “false scarcity” tactic that so many artists and labels are trying hype up, so they can sell more overpriced records.

Most people don’t even BUY music anymore, and yet the record labels are playing reindeer games with those of us that are left.

If you want to make money, make enough copies for everyone that wants one...geez. 🙄

Buy black vinyl, buy when it’s on sale. 

Duophonic Prices are always good value, their 3xLP reissues were lower than some single lps! And they've always done very limited editions, but apart from some 7" they always have other editions available as well

17 hours ago, Derek™ said:

100% this.  Ditch the name on the jacket and just press more in general.  Less "personalized" but I think it's a fair trade to have limited editions in the fans of those who want them.  Really not stoked on the idea of having to win a lottery just to keep a "limited edition" Stereolab collection alive.  Resellers are really going to have a field day with that system.

I’m in this club. No names, please.

Though if their idea is it will make it less desirable to flip, then I guess it works, because even I don’t want a record with my name scrawled on it.

6 hours ago, craigeduk said:

Duophonic Prices are always good value, their 3xLP reissues were lower than some single lps! And they've always done very limited editions, but apart from some 7" they always have other editions available as well

Agreed.

I even sprung for the 3LP colored wax of this release for like $56. 🤑

I wanted it, but I think the retail prices of some new releases are just insane.

Stereolab is in my “top 10” list of artists I will pay $40-$50 for a new release from.

But If it ain’t one of those, black vinyl and only on sale. 😜

Edited by Plarocks

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

For consistency’s sake, I just wish there was a clear version of this.  It’s the one Stereolab piece in my library that sticks out.

Even though it looks really cool, that’s true. Everything, up to this point, was/is on clear. Strange they switched it up. No pun...

I’m just bummed I fully, and almost literally, slept on it. Of course this goes up on a day I  sleep in, hung over. Maybe I’ll pick up the mirror board Black off Discogs.

8 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Even though it looks really cool, that’s true. Everything, up to this point, was/is on clear. Strange they switched it up. No pun...

I’m just bummed I fully, and almost literally, slept on it. Of course this goes up on a day I  sleep in, hung over. Maybe I’ll pick up the mirror board Black off Discogs.

Stereolab shit always goes up at the worst possible time for West coasters.  At least for those of us who aren't early birds.

Definitely cop that mirror board edition before it spirals out of control on Discogs.  The packaging is great, for what it's worth, and the reflective finish is a beaut.  If it makes you feel any better, your alternative is paying $200+ for a little ring of orange around the labels, and the name of a flipper printed on the inside of the jacket.

8 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Stereolab shit always goes up at the worst possible time for West coasters.  At least for those of us who aren't early birds.

That's why I've been ok with how they've been doing the reissue announcements. Initial drop around 7am PST and a soft restock around 8:30-9am for those who slept in a bit.

We shall see how the new lottery system will work.

Yeah, fuck it, I’m getting my tax return soon. I can wait around and try and find it cheaper, or get it done and support an Indie 1,300 miles away.

11 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

If it makes you feel any better, your alternative is paying $200+ for a little ring of orange around the labels, and the name of a flipper printed on the inside of the jacket.

Haha Egg Zactly.