PO Now: AFI - Twisted Tongues/Escape From Los Angeles 7"

kylet

I know the music industry is struggling and doing everything they can to stay afloat right now, but AFI/Rise just made $10,000 off of a 2 song 7" by saying that it was limited and it turns out it's not?  Things like this are just shady business practices and the absolute reason why I do not buy more from Rise Records.  I trust them as much as I trusted Victory 10 years ago and I hope that they end up in the same spot.

43 minutes ago, Buffbloom said:

I know the music industry is struggling and doing everything they can to stay afloat right now, but AFI/Rise just made $10,000 off of a 2 song 7" by saying that it was limited and it turns out it's not?  Things like this are just shady business practices and the absolute reason why I do not buy more from Rise Records.  I trust them as much as I trusted Victory 10 years ago and I hope that they end up in the same spot.

They've only gotten shadier since they sold to BMG and since Craig left. I mean, this label signed Five Finger Death Punch when they were still bound to another label. Gross and stupid. Sadly it sounds like they might be acquiring Blue Swan and they're definitely releasing the next Eidola record. I'm sure the music will be good but I don't trust Rise. A friend of mine just ordered 4 records from them during their most recent sale and they never shipped. He emailed customer service 3 times, messaged their IG, left comments where they normally reply to people, and eventually opened a CC dispute. Rise replied to the dispute trying to say my friend was trying to scam Rise. They never shipped his order and everything he ordered was in-stock and ready to ship.

16 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

A friend of mine just ordered 4 records from them during their most recent sale and they never shipped. He emailed customer service 3 times, messaged their IG, left comments where they normally reply to people, and eventually opened a CC dispute. Rise replied to the dispute trying to say my friend was trying to scam Rise. They never shipped his order and everything he ordered was in-stock and ready to ship.

FWIW this is a Merchnow issue. I have the same issue with Pure Noise records and their Christmas sale. I finally emailed them on Monday. This was their response today "Due to COVID restrictions we are only able to work with a quarter of our usual staff on site, which has caused a backlog of orders that need to go through a check for a possible unavailable item on your order. It looks like it is the Elder Brother record causing the issue, but I can't say for sure as the out of stock team has your order and has to get to it. I apologize for the inconvenience, but your order will not be able to ship for a few weeks until that check can be processed by our out of stock team and remedied."

13 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

FWIW this is a Merchnow issue. I have the same issue with Pure Noise records and their Christmas sale. I finally emailed them on Monday. This was their response today "Due to COVID restrictions we are only able to work with a quarter of our usual staff on site, which has caused a backlog of orders that need to go through a check for a possible unavailable item on your order. It looks like it is the Elder Brother record causing the issue, but I can't say for sure as the out of stock team has your order and has to get to it. I apologize for the inconvenience, but your order will not be able to ship for a few weeks until that check can be processed by our out of stock team and remedied."

It is a Merchnow issue, but ultimately falls on Rise because his contact info for his order was through their version of the webstore. He hit up both with no luck. I mainly wanted to point out the hypocrisy for quickly replying to the credit card dispute and not his emails.

8 minutes ago, dork337 said:

By the way, PVC sleeves are terrible. I'd say 80% of mine are hopelessly split or just cracked and ruined. The other 20% have "minor" splits. 

The can also ruin records. If I get something in pvc I swap it out with a polybag right away. If the pvc has stickers or anything I cut them out and keep them separate. 

4 hours ago, Buffbloom said:

I'm with you on that. I didn't say much initially when hearing they signed to Rise because the response here seemed positive, but I definitely sighed a little. You come to expect shit like this from a trash label. Whether it's forcing you to buy the latest propeller hat bundle to get the limited record, or just straight up lying about the limitedness of the record. Garbage business strategy. 

I emailed Rise to ask if this is no longer limited like they were advertising when I bought it. Once they confirm I'll be canceling my order. $16 for a black 7" that isn't limited in any way is too much for me. I'll hopefully grab this off discogs in a few years for $5 bucks, or maybe from my local record shop where I don't have to pay shipping. 

Edited by kylet

On 1/21/2021 at 9:17 AM, MCDELTAT said:

Had an issue with another label that also uses Merchnow and ultimately was told Merchnow had closed up shop for the holidays so NO orders had shipped since late December through early January. 🤦‍♂️

41 minutes ago, kyacrash said:

So if it WASN'T listed as /1000, would you not have bought it?

I can appreciate transparency from a retailer, but do you want the record or not? 

I wouldn't have, because I didn't.  But I did think to myself, as an old fan of AFI, that this obscure 7" was limited to 1,000 and could be one of those things that is just random and never gets repressed again unlike with something like a Dance Gavin Dance 7" that I know will be continuously milked for every penny possible, so I did think of picking it up.  I actually thought that the $10 price point that didn't even include a jacket was a bit much.

43 minutes ago, kyacrash said:

So if it WASN'T listed as /1000, would you not have bought it?

I can appreciate transparency from a retailer, but do you want the record or not? 

This is an age-old argument on here and at the end of the day it's a fact that many vinyl collectors consider whether something is limited or not as a key factor, as much as the artwork or the music itself. I have no problem with that.

At a minimum, there's a lot of people who jump on preorders they otherwise wouldn't because they're announced as "limited" and don't want to miss out. If it was clear the product wasn't limited, they might take their time ordering it, wait for it to pop up from another retailer or see if it gets any cheaper over time. Again, I have no problem with this logic.

1 hour ago, unknown pleasures said:

At a minimum, there's a lot of people who jump on preorders they otherwise wouldn't because they're announced as "limited" and don't want to miss out. If it was clear the product wasn't limited, they might take their time ordering it, wait for it to pop up from another retailer or see if it gets any cheaper over time. Again, I have no problem with this logic.

This exactly.

I still want it. But that price point is absurd. 2 song black 7" without a jacket came out to over $16 shipped. I jumped on it, because it's limited to /1000 (low for AFI) so I figured it was now or never. It's only going up in price on the second hand market if I don't swallow the $16 and jump on it now. 

Now they take that "limitedness" away. Let's say there's 5k or 10k. These will end up on the second hand market for peanuts in a couple of years. And might end up going out to distributors so local shops can order them. Can get that same 7" for half the price now. 

It's just shady business practice to get people to jump on a preoder. Then second guess your pressing numbers and raise them, after 1000 customers already committed to what was supposed to be a "limited record".  It's not that we don't want it. It's just an asshole move. Which a lot of us have come to expect out of labels like Rise. 

Edited by kylet

13 minutes ago, kylet said:

This exactly.

I still want it. But that price point is absurd. 2 song black 7" without a jacket came out to over $16 shipped. I jumped on it, because it's limited to /1000 (low for AFI) so I figured it was now or never. It's only going up in price on the second hand market if I don't swallow the $16 and jump on it now. 

Now they take that "limitedness" away. Let's say there's 5k or 10k. These will end up on the second hand market for peanuts in a couple of years. And might end up going out to distributors so local shops can order them. Can get that same 7" for half the price now. 

It's just shady business practice to get people to jump on a preoder. Then second guess your pressing numbers and raise them, after 1000 customers already committed to what was supposed to be a "limited record".  It's not that we don't want it. It's just an asshole move. Which a lot of us have come to expect out of labels like Rise. 

I agree with you that the shady business practices is annoying.  Especially the purenoise model of keeping rare variants aside and then selling them later with a shitty screened cover.  Just dumb.

But for me, ultimately, when a record I want is released I buy it.  If there is a limited variant I will try and get that, if not I'll get whatever is available.  I don't want to wait a couple years and buy it for half the price.  I want it now.

Not intending to knock other people's spending habits or opinion, just sharing mine.

29 minutes ago, kylet said:

This exactly.

This is what I was trying to say but I am socially inept.  Thanks for coming up with words for me.

I personally cancelled my order. I liked the songs, thought about the price, looked at how their stuff is valued on Discogs and wen't "oh yeah if this doesn't get repressed, it could get even more expensive..." but now that there could be 2K to 5K of these things, I'll wait to grab it for cheaper. And that's assuming these aren't on their next album, which in that case, I will not rebuy this 7". I used to think I listened to my 7" records more than other people but have slowly grown annoyed by them ha. Especially if it's already on an LP, I don't bother.

Followed up with Rise again today. 

"Guys it's been a week and you're not responding to any of my emails. If I don't hear back you leave me no option other than filing a claim with my credit card company.

Please let me know if this record is limited to /1000 still, like it was advertised when I purchased it. If you have changed it, I am no longer interested in this order."

No response email but they canceled my order haha. Safe to assume it's no longer limited lol.