Record player cartridge too low.

SCLee

I've noticed that my record player Audio Technica (green) cartridge is riding quite low to the record. The needle (the silver bit before the tip that goes in the grove) is quite flat (when playing a record), not completely flat but it's not at an angle either.  It sounds okay but could this cause damage to the record? The needle? I know the cartridge has to ride fairly low in order for the needle to reach the grooves. The stylus on my other player (Roberts) seems to be more slanted, than flat, even though the needle still reaches the grooves. Am I worrying over nothing? Thoughts please? 

Edited by SCLee

22 minutes ago, isavedlatin54 said:

Post a picture 

Unfortunately I can't as it says image from URL. It doesn't let you upload a picture automatically. 

This isn't mine but it's the same cartridge and player I believe.  Mine isn't quite as low as that but the silver part is flattish, like this. Maybe it's all Audio Technica 120's?  The player is only three months old. Would this damage the record is my concern? 

Edited by SCLee

7 minutes ago, Shelby American said:

Why would it damage the record? I don't understand what you're asking. The stylus is dragged across the record to produce sound so it has to touch the record... lol?

What I'm asking is, does it have to look a certain way when playing the record? Should the stylus be slanted or flat? And if it's more flat is that gonna damage the stylus or the record by adding too much pressure into the grooves? 

Edited by SCLee

2 minutes ago, SCLee said:

What I'm asking is, does it have to look a certain way when playing the record? Should the stylus be slanted or flat? And if it's more flat is that gonna damage the stylus or the record by adding too much pressure into the grooves? 

The more the stylus "fills" the grooves the better a record sounds. Without getting into the different shapes they can come in you're fine as long as only the stylus is making contact. If the table is only 3 months old and you don't recall ever touching or bending the stylus in any way I'm sure it isn't damaged. A lot of the cheaper tables look like how you're describing with plenty of clearance between the cartridge and record but most likely look this way due to lack of a counterweight.

Have you tried easing up the weight to a point where you feel better about it but it still has enough to sit flat on a record? You might just have not realized what the other end of the arm does (not trying to be mean, you sound new)

Yeah that's too close.  You're better suited to the Steve Hoffman forums for really technical gear questions, as there's a ridiculous wealth of expert knowledge there.

Your tracking force balance weight is probably out of alignment.  Investigate that, as others have said.  You usually don't see the cartridges THAT close to the record itself.  Some are different, but that's really close and usually not how most setups go. 

7 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Yeah that's too close.  You're better suited to the Steve Hoffman forums for really technical gear questions, as there's a ridiculous wealth of expert knowledge there.

Your tracking force balance weight is probably out of alignment.  Investigate that, as others have said.  You usually don't see the cartridges THAT close to the record itself.  Some are different, but that's really close and usually not how most setups go. 

They'd probably read the whole post and see that pic isn't theirs and the cart isn't that close.

3 hours ago, Shelby American said:

The more the stylus "fills" the grooves the better a record sounds. Without getting into the different shapes they can come in you're fine as long as only the stylus is making contact. If the table is only 3 months old and you don't recall ever touching or bending the stylus in any way I'm sure it isn't damaged. A lot of the cheaper tables look like how you're describing with plenty of clearance between the cartridge and record but most likely look this way due to lack of a counterweight.

Have you tried easing up the weight to a point where you feel better about it but it still has enough to sit flat on a record? You might just have not realized what the other end of the arm does (not trying to be mean, you sound new)

Oh I'm definitely a newbie, so no offence taken. I'll try and ease up the counterweight. I did balance it when it arrived, following a YouTube video, and it did seem to be solid in the air. Thanks for the help! 

2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Okay, thanks. That's not my picture (it's from another forum) but it's the same table and cartridge. Mine doesn't ride quite that low but the stylus is still flat (more or less), rather than slanted. I think it might be riding a little low. I'll have to investigate. Thanks again. 

Are you talking about the cantilever or stylus that should be angled? 

Regardless, your cartridge looks way to close like the counterweight isn’t set properly. To much weight is bad for records. Each stylus has a recommended tracking force. A stylus forge gauge can be purchased cheaply and then you know your at the correct weight.

12 hours ago, mirrorboxer said:

Are you talking about the cantilever or stylus that should be angled? 

Regardless, your cartridge looks way to close like the counterweight isn’t set properly. To much weight is bad for records. Each stylus has a recommended tracking force. A stylus forge gauge can be purchased cheaply and then you know your at the correct weight.

No, not the cantilever. The green cartridge being too slow, which is making the stylus too low, and lie flat, rather than slightly slanted. Thanks. 

Edited by SCLee

I altered it so the cartridge didn't look as low, and the stylus looked more slanted, than flat. Three songs into Off the Wall, it kept sliding back and playing the same part of the song over, so I've changed it back. The stylus doesn't look as flat as it did, a  bit more slanted, it will have to do! 

It's almost impossible to see the needle, even through a magnifying glass. I mean I can see it, but I can't see if it's damaged, it's too small. It looks okay, I suppose, so that will have to do! Sadly I'm not audiophile or vinyl expert. 

Edited by SCLee

You should be able to see a healthy stylus with your naked eye and certainly with a magnifying glass. It sounds like the tracking force had been set way too high and caused wear and/or damage to the stylus(needle) and probably to some of your records. It may be skipping because it's too worn down to properly track the groove. If that's the case you'll need a replacement. Be sure to get a stylus guage and research how to properly set the tracking force. The $10 digital scales on amazon and ebay are fine. 

Edited by Smellman

4 hours ago, SCLee said:

No, not the cantilever. The green cartridge being too slow, which is making the stylus too low, and lie flat, rather than slightly slanted. Thanks. 

Just so you’re using the right terminology—the cantilever is part of the stylus, which is part of the cartridge, which attaches to the tonearm.

The cantilever is the tiny metal arm that extends down from the cartridge to the record surface. On the tip of the cantilever is the needle, which actually contacts the record surface.

The cantilever is suspended, allowing it to move up and down.

As others have mentioned, your tracking force weight is probably too high (i.e. counterweight is too low), causing too much downward force at the cartridge-end of the tonearm and therefore causing the cantilever and needle to flatten. Ease up the weight at the far end of the tonearm. If you don’t have a scale, ease it up until the cartridge/tonearm float, and then increase weight until it’s enough to drop gently on the record surface. 

Here’s a diagram of the parts of a cartridge:

spacer.png

23 hours ago, Smellman said:

You should be able to see a healthy stylus with your naked eye and certainly with a magnifying glass. It sounds like the tracking force had been set way too high and caused wear and/or damage to the stylus(needle) and probably to some of your records. It may be skipping because it's too worn down to properly track the groove. If that's the case you'll need a replacement. Be sure to get a stylus guage and research how to properly set the tracking force. The $10 digital scales on amazon and ebay are fine. 

The tracking force is set to 2, as is the anti-skating, which is the recommended setting. I can see the stylus and it looks fine, but I have no idea what the shape  is supposed to be (in terms of pointiness / width, length.) The records are playing fine, with this setting, so I'm happy.

It looks the same as my Roberts, which is only two weeks old (I got it for review purposes.) This player has only been used twice, so maybe you're overestimating how easy it is to see the needle tip? I believe it's this one. You can see how difficult it is to see the needle, even when it's not attached to the record player!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATN95E-REPLACEMENT-STYLUS-Green/dp/B001IEPNN6/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=audio+technica+needle&qid=1610893445&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-2

Edited by SCLee

19 hours ago, fondfarewell said:

Just so you’re using the right terminology—the cantilever is part of the stylus, which is part of the cartridge, which attaches to the tonearm.

The cantilever is the tiny metal arm that extends down from the cartridge to the record surface. On the tip of the cantilever is the needle, which actually contacts the record surface.

The cantilever is suspended, allowing it to move up and down.

As others have mentioned, your tracking force weight is probably too high (i.e. counterweight is too low), causing too much downward force at the cartridge-end of the tonearm and therefore causing the cantilever and needle to flatten. Ease up the weight at the far end of the tonearm. If you don’t have a scale, ease it up until the cartridge/tonearm float, and then increase weight until it’s enough to drop gently on the record surface. 

Here’s a diagram of the parts of a cartridge:

spacer.png

Yes, it's the tiny metal arm (the Cantilever) that looks kinda flat (when playing) but not as flat as it did before, after I adjusted the weight at the back. Thanks for your help.

I changed the weight (probably) too much and the record started to replay a part of a song. It would play the song, get to a certain part, skip backwards and play the same line over again, before continuing on its own. I then returned the weight closer to how it was, and it plays fine again. So, I'm assuming it's set correctly. The tracking force is set to 2, as is the anti-skate. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=audio+technica+120x&rlz=1C1AWFC_enGB823GB823&sxsrf=ALeKk01TB9llXmqOEbL00mIyEfm-29a4JQ:1610893723157&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHwo7hlqPuAhUVQhUIHY79DqIQ_AUoAnoECAgQBA&biw=1242&bih=568#imgrc=F7NNricpo7HfhM

Looking at the above Google image of the Audio Technica 120XUSB, the arm seems to be the lying the same as mine. Other images show the same, so maybe it's just the turntable? Ah well, I'll have to see how it goes. 

Edited by SCLee

The anti-skate gauges on some turntables are wrong.

Better to use an anti-skate calibration record, or a 12-inch single with a blank side to dial in your anti-skate properly:

Your cartridge should not be riding so close to the record surface in order to keep it from skipping.

Something is off with your cartridge or tonearm.

Edited by Plarocks

15 minutes ago, Plarocks said:

The anti-skate gauges on some turntables are wrong.

Better to use an anti-skate calibration record, or a 12-inch single with a blank side to dial in your anti-skate properly:

Your cartridge should not be riding so close to the record surface in order to keep it from skipping.

Something is off with your cartridge or tonearm.

Thanks for the video. If there is something off, unfortunately I'm not an expert to fix it, I can only imagine the thousands of people (due to the vinyl resurgence) who have their settings wrong, especially on this table. Every google image I've seen, shows the cartridge that low, with the cantilever looking flat.  Mine isn't as bad as that now. 

I'm not too worried about damaging the records. My parents have records that are fifty years old, that still play perfectly and they treated them like rubbish. Many of them were sleeveless and lying on top of each other in a big case, some had scratches and paint / other marks on them, they likely got damp too (one of the sleeves was all water damaged) and (after cleaning them and putting them in new sleeves), they still play fine! 

I of course treat my records delicately and try not to damage the sleeves at all.  

Edited by SCLee

2 hours ago, SCLee said:

Thanks for the video. If there is something off, unfortunately I'm not an expert to fix it, I can only imagine the thousands of people (due to the vinyl resurgence) who have their settings wrong, especially on this table. Every google image I've seen, shows the cartridge that low, with the cantilever looking flat.  Mine isn't as bad as that now. 

I'm not too worried about damaging the records. My parents have records that are fifty years old, that still play perfectly and they treated them like rubbish. Many of them were sleeveless and lying on top of each other in a big case, some had scratches and paint / other marks on them, they likely got damp too (one of the sleeves was all water damaged) and (after cleaning them and putting them in new sleeves), they still play fine! 

I of course treat my records delicately and try not to damage the sleeves at all.  

Listen, most of these answers everyone is giving you is based off the pic of the cart that isn't yours because they don't know how to read. You'll just keep hearing that it's too close over and over and over. Your best bet is to play around with the settings on some of these old records until you have everything feeling proper. All you have to keep in mind is that the weight has to be juuuuuust enough so that the cart stays put on top of the record and that one must never touch the stylus at all.