Spindle hole size

How does a plant miss-size a standard LP hole for an entire color press?  Not complaining as it’s been years, but I never understood how this happened.  Figured someone here may have some insight.  Contacted the plant as soon as I realized the issue, but response never seemed to make sense.  Said it was because there were no labels (not what was asked for) so the hole was too big. And I’m not talking a little, whole press had holes 2x the size.  

How would not having a label (again, not what i asked) make the LP spindle hole so big the record is unplayable? 

30 minutes ago, [Banned User] said:

Can you show us a picture of your hole?

Hey, slow down there boss.  This is a family oriented message board for respectable, yet discerning,  degenerates and fetishists.

Maybe just a wholesomely lurid description of your hole please.  

6 hours ago, shamrocks said:

i thought for sure this was going to be a post where i got to bust out my knowledge of where to buy a 7.3 mm drill bit for spindle hole upsizing, but alas, an even weirder thread.

ive never heard of this and theres no way a plant that presses records could accidentally do this right?

I thought that too.  It didn’t make any sense to me at the time.  I added the best photo I could get to the discogs listing: https://www.discogs.com/Sinking-Ships-Disconnecting/release/6597630

(Second photo)

I think the other versions were pressed at a different plant, this was done by pirates press in ‘06. Pretty sure the label had them rushed so we could pick them up in Germany for a tour. 

On 1/18/2021 at 10:23 AM, Dhesketh said:

Said it was because there were no labels (not what was asked for) so the hole was too big.

It was not your request to press it without center labels? Do I misunderstand this? It was pressed by GZ, so no surprise the lack of QC.

I just would like to add that the purpose of center labels should not be underestimated, I think:

Records tend to warp if a label is missing on one side, e.g. on etched or single-sided records.

If labels have higher moisture it will cause pressing defects as well. That's why they need to go to an oven for drying before pressing.

Since your records do not have any labels at all, I would not be surprised about such an odd defect of a larger spindle hole. I could not explain the physical reason for it though.

3 hours ago, Dhesketh said:

I think the other versions were pressed at a different plant, this was done by pirates press in ‘06. Pretty sure the label had them rushed so we could pick them up in Germany for a tour. 

According to Discogs the clear variant was also pressed by GZ. Same matrix as the tour variant. I assume all variants were pressed there?

2 minutes ago, daegor said:

huh?

You can clearly see in the picture the hole is notably larger than the spindle.  if the vinyl itself shrinks/retracts it would make the hole bigger.

Sorry I got confused and thought you meant the hole shrunk and not the record itself. Makes a lot more sense this way haha.

Anyways, that hole is 1-2mm larger than normal tops. Not half an inch...

On 1/18/2021 at 10:23 AM, Dhesketh said:

How would not having a label (again, not what i asked) make the LP spindle hole so big the record is unplayable? 

What I have seen on some used records: you could make it playable by either putting adhesive tape over the spindle hole and pushing the spindle through. Or by filling up the inners of the hole with a couple of layers of tape.

Might not be easy to find the exact spot so it will not be off-centered.

9 hours ago, Shelby American said:

Sorry I got confused and thought you meant the hole shrunk and not the record itself. Makes a lot more sense this way haha.

Anyways, that hole is 1-2mm larger than normal tops. Not half an inch...

The spindle hole is way too big, ok?

Yeah yeah, my original estimate of “2x” the size was an over estimate, as I hadn’t looked at it in years. After measuring it was 1.5x.  

Just figured I’d pose the question as I’ve never seen this before and always kinda wondered.  But to be fair in response to an earlier poster, I actually haven’t ever seen a record before.

17 hours ago, Iggy_Pilot said:

According to Discogs the clear variant was also pressed by GZ. Same matrix as the tour variant. I assume all variants were pressed there?

Yeah that makes sense.  I think the 2013 remaster may have been at a different plant, but all the earlier ones I’m sure your right.  And as far as the labels, it was a rush job so we’d have something for tour.  So we said blank labels were fine, and either misunderstanding or time constraints got us no labels.  Actually really liked how they look, so had no complaints.  

2 hours ago, shamrocks said:

Yeah its a great looking record, shame about the spindle. I will say, I think most of us were expecting something comically large, I could totally see how this could happen, especially without center labels, which actually may/do support the edge of the spindle hole somewhat

Yeah, the overestimate did make it seem more dramatic than the question intended to be. Was looking for more of a process explanation.  And as far as the plant not correcting it, I kinda get it.  They did rush them, doing the label a favor. 

2 hours ago, shamrocks said:

disappointing that the plant wouldnt correct it, were there tests? I suspect they had labels

Tests were normal, and all other presses I’m sure were as well.  Sounds like it just may have been a little larger than normal variance accentuated by lack of labels to tension it in.  Thanks for the responses, informative and pretty damn comical. I feel like my hole questions have been filled.  

Edited by Dhesketh