Weezer "OK Human"

N8TRU

I always lol so hard at people who come back with "where's your artistic masterpiece?!?!?!" to anyone who happens to not have "Everything Is Awesome" unironically playing in their head every single second of their life, to not like something every so often.

Edited by OneThreeOneTwo

57 minutes ago, axisrecapital said:

Now all 4 variants are sold out on Weezer's store, including black.  

Wanna bet they make more or add a variant?

Since they had these produced to ship this week, they probably just sold out of the initial allotment. I’m sure if they make more, it’ll just be standard black. 

Just read the LA Times article/interview with Rivers concerning OK Human...and found this tidbit verrrryyyyy interesting lol: 

Besides, he’s got plenty to keep him busy, including a movie musical he’s working on about the life of the Buddha — it’s called, uh, “Buddha Superstar” — and two more Weezer albums after “Van Weezer.” The first, tentatively titled “Happy Chill,” is in the style of the band’s mellow 2001 single “Island in the Sun”; the other evokes Franz Ferdinand or the Clash, Cuomo says — “dance music, but it feels like a band.”

Looking even further, he’s beginning to imagine his first real solo record, which he describes with two unexpected words: “Barry” and “Manilow.”

Singing “All at Once” and another great Houston oldie, “Didn’t We Almost Have It All,” on Instagram in recent months got him wondering why nobody does songs like that anymore: complex, grand-scaled ballads that avoid neat four-chord progressions to summon a real sense of romantic abandon.

“And that’s when I thought of Barry Manilow,” he says. “I always loved Barry Manilow. I’d love to do what he does.”

Link to the full article:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-01-26/weezer-rivers-cuomo-ok-human#null

Edited by ethanpricington

On 1/25/2021 at 6:07 PM, drewberinger said:

also this album is pretty good

Just realized Jake Sinclair produced it with the band...Guess what other album Jake did with the boys? 2016's white album, the last truly great Weezer album IMO. So if OK Human is another great Weezer installment, I'm all for starting a petition for Rivers to work exclusively with Jake on Weezer projects 😅

Edited by ethanpricington

Dang. This isn’t “bad Weezer” but it’s totally not my bag. The single made me think it’d be Weezer but without the focus on guitars, more laid back, slight 70s pop vibes but, after the first 2-3 songs, which are a bit interesting, this becomes a more straight up homage to that older pop. If you dig the bands/songwriters referenced in the reviews, check this out. Rivers does a pretty sincere take on their stuff without injecting too much Weezer into it.

1 minute ago, Sad Heart said:

Rives said they might do a tour with a full orchestra and do Ok Human and Pinkerton.

I would be down but I can’t help but think of all the bros who’d be pissed if there was no Buddy Holly and Beverly Hills. Or possibly even more pissed if they played them, but slow orchestral versions. 

Just now, marc32137 said:

I would be down but I can’t help but think of all the bros who’d be pissed if there was no Buddy Holly and Beverly Hills. Or possibly even more pissed if they played them, but slow orchestral versions. 

I would pay money to never hear any of Make Believe again. I have been listening to Hurley a bit this last week, and forgot it has some great jammers on it. But man, is this new album great. Bird With A Broken Wing is so damn good. 

32 minutes ago, axisrecapital said:

But...will there be more vinyl variants pressed?  They seem to be all sold out at the moment.

It comes out the 12th. I’m sure you could find an indie variant at a shop. And from what I’ve seen more is being made. 

Also, for anyone curious why this is coming out before Van: So they were gonna release Ok Human a few years as they started that project in 2017. Then they found out about Hella Mega and they were like yah we need a “rock” album since Ok is more stripped down / sad / orchestral. So they did Van Weezer. And that’s why this came out before that. 

• N8TRU changed the title to Weezer "OK Human"