Weezer "OK Human"

N8TRU

1 hour ago, deftbarley said:

The lyrics kill this record. All around awful and cringe. 

There was a good review that talked about how Rivers can’t resist the comfortable distance of ironic detachment and cheese, even when making his mature, personal ‘masterpiece’ record. I read like 10 in a row and can’t remember which magazine it was from.

If he were to ever record a sincere, honest record, even if it was still silly and fun, sans the 70s pop affectation but with the same reliance on piano and strings over electric guitar, I think he could retire with an absolute adult banger under his belt. This feels like a decent Weezer album from an alternate dimension where their music aged with the members and kept experimenting and not the gem from that different reality.

Edited by Oblivions

On 1/29/2021 at 10:44 PM, Oblivions said:

There was a good review that talked about how Rivers can’t resist the comfortable distance of ironic detachment and cheese, even when making his mature, personal ‘masterpiece’ record. I read like 10 in a row and can’t remember which magazine it was from.

If he were to ever record a sincere, honest record, even if it was still silly and fun, sans the 70s pop affectation but with the same reliance on piano and strings over electric guitar, I think he could retire with an absolute adult banger under his belt. This feels like a decent Weezer album from an alternate dimension where their music aged with the members and kept experimenting and not the gem from that different reality.

String arrangements over beats don’t create a masterpiece 🤷‍♂️

• N8TRU changed the title to Weezer "OK Human"

Really enjoying this record all the way through. 

IMO this is top tier weezer w blue, pink, green, maladroit, and EWBAITE. White just misses the cut. 

Crazy that my two favorite albums over the last 12 months, OK Human and My Morning Jacket's the Waterfall II,  may not have ever seen the light of day if not for COVID. 

On 2/12/2021 at 1:13 PM, unravelled said:

Really enjoying this record all the way through. 

IMO this is top tier weezer w blue, pink, green, maladroit, and EWBAITE. White just misses the cut. 

Crazy that my two favorite albums over the last 12 months, OK Human and My Morning Jacket's the Waterfall II,  may not have ever seen the light of day if not for COVID. 

White misses the cut?! Man, white is comfortably peak Weezer for me. Admit I'm certainly in the minority but I absolutely adore that album 🤍

7 hours ago, beags said:

White misses the cut?! Man, white is comfortably peak Weezer for me. Admit I'm certainly in the minority but I absolutely adore that album 🤍

Wholeheartedly agree! White album IMO was Rivers finally embracing Weezers past sound while still shaping that ‘quirky’  sound he’d been trying to perfect for over a decade on some of the tracks. 

45 minutes ago, N8TRU said:

Bullmoose hasn't shipped mine either. I might need to go to a local shop.

My copy did not ship from Zia and I got an email from them saying that they did not get the allotment that they expected but that they should be getting more soon. So, I went to a local Newbury Comics who indicated there was a wider delay with this release and that a large majority of the indie splatter copies were pulled or not shipped because of production or sound issues. Take it for what it is worth, but this makes more sense than the  near total lack of in store availability for a new Weezer record. 

On 2/14/2021 at 7:38 AM, ethanpricington said:

Wholeheartedly agree! White album IMO was Rivers finally embracing Weezers past sound while still shaping that ‘quirky’  sound he’d been trying to perfect for over a decade on some of the tracks. 

Lol. I listened to White again after my post and would have to agree w you. 

Officially bumped White to unravelled's top tier Weezer albums!!

I revise my previous review after scanning Pacific Daydream and Black album again.

OK Human sounds almost identical to several songs on both those albums, just without the annoying production choices and embarrassing electro flourishes. The soft, pleasant melodies and less guitar focused makeup has been on their last 3 records and OK Human is just way less immature/obnoxious in execution.

EWBAITE/White album was a nice renaissance before whatever this is now. Looking forward to dumb fun with Van Weezer. 

1 hour ago, unravelled said:

Lol. I listened to White again after my post and would have to agree w you. 

Officially bumped White to unravelled's top tier Weezer albums!!

This. I listened to White for the first time a few days ago and now I can't t stop. I had no idea because I stopped after Make Believe. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On April 16th, we invite each and every one of you to stare at your screens while we perform OK Human for the first time ever (along with all your favorite Weezer songs). We will be joined on stage at the Walt Disney Concert Hall by the talented folks of the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Youth Orchestra Los Angeles. This show will only be streamed three times.  APRIL 16TH 6pm PT/9pm ET APRIL 17TH  6pm BST 6pm AUS EST Tickets are on sale now along with exclusive OK Human + show merch at checkout: https://bit.ly/3cjMeEV Limited VIP tickets for the first viewing on April 16th are available and include a 30 minute Q&A with us immediately after the show airs.  Get ready for a night of streaming images (and sounds) to your head.