Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue

57 minutes ago, Kjm23 said:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngI got my replacement sleeve in the mail yesterday sent in an old school mailer, unsealed with no poly sleeve, with one piece of cardboard protecting it. Needless to say it was damaged. Reached out over Instagram so I guess we will see what happens

take a picture of the damage so we can see it

1 minute ago, Kjm23 said:

I’m guessing the pictures are large on a PC, they’re small on my phone. I’ll just delete them. Wanted to give a heads up for anyone else who might be waiting on a sleeve.

Picture size isn't the issue - it's that a corner ding is not grounds for record sleeve replacement, or complaining publicly on a forum to try to further damage an independent label's reputation more than you already have their profit margin. 

Your post history is so clogged with toxic examples of asking for multiple replacements and doggedly complaining about shipping practices, it's a bit much.

23 minutes ago, Kjm23 said:

I’ll just delete them. Wanted to give a heads up for anyone else who might be waiting on a sleeve.

Don't delete them!  This is a super good PSA.  I'm waiting on my 5th replacement, myself, and was on the verge of outing them for their bullshit but didn't have the spine.  Thank you for being braver than I could be.  It's time that these money-hungry labels are held accountable.

Initial sleeve: part of the shrink was opened up near the corner.  1 corner was rounded.  Demanded a refund.

2nd replacement sleeve: looked pretty good but when I peeked inside the sleeve, I found some paper remnants.  Who knows where they could've come from.  Not risking it.

3rd sleeve: showed up in a mailer that had a footprint on one side.  Didn't even open it up to see the damage.  Bad energy, easy pass.

4th sleeve: wasn't numbered, and didn't lay completely flat on top of my coffee table which is kind of unacceptable in 2021 if you stop and think about it.

So, fifth time is a charm.  I should know by Friday if my tracking # is to be believed.  I know it seems like a massive pain in the dick and completely unnecessary to hassle such a small label – and yeah, it probably passes the buck to future customers who get to pay extra, to ensure my next crusade for the perfect sleeve is worked into their MSRP down the road – but I mean, really, this is Yellowcard we're talking about.  Ocean Avenue is a landmark album that needs to be archived for future generations.  Future civilizations.  If it's not going to be framed in a museum with a flawless jacket, why even bother?  May as well just throw it on a record shelf and spin it on occasion like some kind of barbarian.

Keep up the good fight, comrade.  Give me my immaculate copy, or give me death!  Or at least a 15% coupon for my next order.  Any one of those is actually fine.

Edited by Derek™

8 minutes ago, rooks said:

Picture size isn't the issue - it's that a corner ding is not grounds for record sleeve replacement, or complaining publicly on a forum to try to further damage an independent label's reputation more than you already have their profit margin. 

Your post history is so clogged with toxic examples of asking for multiple replacements and doggedly complaining about shipping practices, it's a bit much.

So do you think that this issue could have been avoided if the record would have been shipped better?  Also who are you to say what is and isn’t grounds for a replacement? I’m glad you went through my post history to see what I have posted. I have been buying records for over 15 years and have been on this board since the beginning but hardly ever post. I have 1,000’s of records and the majority of the stuff I have received has been in good shape. If labels are worried about cost margin find ways to get records to customers without damage. I have been doing it for that same amount of time and have never had one person tell me they received a record damaged from me. I’m glad your okay with receiving something like that but when I know the issue could be avoided it’s a bit frustrating for me. I’ll continue not posting on the board anymore which is fine by me.

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Don't delete them!  This is a super good PSA.  I'm waiting on my 4th replacement, myself, and was on the verge of outing them for their bullshit but didn't have the spine.  Thank you for being braver than I could be.  It's time that these money hungry labels are held accountable.

Initial sleeve: part of the shrink was opened up near the corner.  1 corner was rounded.  Demanded a refund.

2nd replacement sleeve: looked pretty good but when I peeked inside the sleeve, I found some paper remnants.  Who knows where they could've come from.  Not risking it.

3rd sleeve: showed up in a mailer that had a footprint on one side.  Didn't even open it up to see the damage.  Bad energy, easy pass.

4th sleeve: wasn't numbered, and didn't lay completely flat on top of my coffee table which is kind of unacceptable in 2021 if you stop and think about it.

So, fifth time is a charm.  I should know by Friday if my tracking # is to be believed.  I know it seems like a massive pain in the dick and completely unnecessary to hassle such a small label – and yeah, it probably passes the buck to future customers who get to pay extra, to ensure my next crusade for the perfect sleeve is worked into their MSRP down the road – but I mean, really, this is Yellowcard we're talking about.  Ocean Avenue is a landmark album that needs to be archived for future generations.  Future civilizations.  If it's not going to be framed in a museum with a flawless jacket, why even bother?  May as well just throw it on a record shelf and spin it on occasion like some kind of barbarian.

Keep up the good fight, comrade.  Give me my immaculate copy, or give me death!  Or at least a 15% coupon for my next order.  Any one of those is actually fine.

Classic Derek post, glad I could be cemented in the Derek Hall of Fame. Keep up the good work!

4 minutes ago, mitchard said:

When you come to accept that bent corners is just a part of online/mail order, you'll find an inner peace that I cannot fully explain with words.

I totally get that, and deal with it all the time. I have been buying for a long ass time and I know how this goes. It’s just frustrating when your business is literally selling records yet you don’t know how to ship them. If I was a label I would do everything in my power to get someone the product they purchased in the best possible condition so I would avoid any extra costs on my end to make up for whatever the issue may be. Maybe that’s just me

Just now, Derek™ said:

It's a joint effort.  Couldn't make it happen without some truly goofy shit to ridicule.

Thankfully you have all that extra free time to comb the boards to try and come up with something funny or snarky to say to get those 3 likes from a board that is practically dead at this point. I do miss OG Derek though, he was a fun guy to have around the boards 

8 minutes ago, Kjm23 said:

So do you think that this issue could have been avoided if the record would have been shipped better?  Also who are you to say what is and isn’t grounds for a replacement? I’m glad you went through my post history to see what I have posted. I have been buying records for over 15 years and have been on this board since the beginning but hardly ever post. I have 1,000’s of records and the majority of the stuff I have received has been in good shape. If labels are worried about cost margin find ways to get records to customers without damage. I have been doing it for that same amount of time and have never had one person tell me they received a record damaged from me. I’m glad your okay with receiving something like that but when I know the issue could be avoided it’s a bit frustrating for me. I’ll continue not posting on the board anymore which is fine by me.

1 minute ago, Kjm23 said:

I totally get that, and deal with it all the time. I have been buying for a long ass time and I know how this goes. It’s just frustrating when your business is literally selling records yet you don’t know how to ship them. If I was a label I would do everything in my power to get someone the product they purchased in the best possible condition so I would avoid any extra costs on my end to make up for whatever the issue may be. Maybe that’s just me

I don't own thousands of records, but I can proudly state that across the hundreds I /have/ purchased, I've complained and demanded replacement sleeves or copies in less total instances across my entire history of buying records than you have on the most recent page of your post history, lol.

Also - I'm REALLY curious. Do you just.... not get that you are paying the record label for the record, and you are paying /THE POST OFFICE/ for the shipping of said record?  If something is absolutely ass blasted to fuck or packed in a pizza box - complain away, my man.  If something was shipped in a mailer, WITH an extra cardboard insert, and has a widdel baby corner ding... how you think that is somehow the fault and financial responsibility of the label is just beyond me.

Look at you saying you'd do everything in your power if you were the seller -- why don't you do what's in your power as the buyer? Only buy up-charged shipping speeds with guarantees or insurance minimums.  The media mail option you are paying for is not covering the 3 additional sleeves labels need to send you, and the 300 they need to send to the other 100 people just like you who ordered the same thing.

Hey, all things considered - I'm glad you posted!  Now I know who to thank every time I have to place an order for a $35 before shipping new LP because prices have raised $15 due to the never ending train of crybaby collectors demanding replacements and yelp-harassing any labels who refuse to give them.

Just now, Kjm23 said:

Thankfully you have all that extra free time to comb the boards to try and come up with something funny or snarky to say to get those 3 likes from a board that is practically dead at this point. I do miss OG Derek though, he was a fun guy to have around the boards 

It's a shame that all this free time I'm wasting on cooking up zingers isn't spent more productively – just think of how many replacement jackets and printed inner sleeves I could accumulate if I was focusing less on VC likes and more on being an insufferable customer.

As it's been pointed out, your post history is ripe with complaints of transit damage, or sniffing around for coupon codes.  You're not only buying new releases for less than MSRP, but you're making small[er] labels jump through hoops to ensure you have a perfect product.  You just got done claiming that you own thousands of records amassed over a decade and a half.  By now you should know how this shit works.  The photos you shared on the last page are pretty commonplace for a lot of sealed, new records I receive today.  Literally could not imagine taking the time to beg for a new jacket anytime one showed up in NM- condition.

2 minutes ago, rooks said:

I don't own thousands of records, but I can proudly state that across the hundreds I /have/ purchased, I've complained and demanded replacement sleeves or copies in less total instances across my entire history of buying records than you have on the most recent page of your post history, lol.

Also - I'm REALLY curious. Do you just.... not get that you are paying the record label for the record, and you are paying /THE POST OFFICE/ for the shipping of said record?  If something is absolutely ass blasted to fuck or packed in a pizza box - complain away, my man.  If something was shipped in a mailer, WITH an extra cardboard insert, and has a widdel baby corner ding... how you think that is somehow the fault and financial responsibility of the label is just beyond me.

Look at you saying you'd do everything in your power if you were the seller -- why don't you do what's in your power as the buyer? Only buy up-charged shipping speeds with guarantees or insurance minimums.  The media mail option you are paying for is not covering the 3 additional sleeves labels need to send you, and the 300 they need to send to the other 100 people just like you who ordered the same thing.

Hey, all things considered - I'm glad you posted!  Now I know who to thank every time I have to place an order for a $35 before shipping new LP because prices have raised $15 due to the never ending train of crybaby collectors demanding replacements and yelp-harassing any labels who refuse to give them.

So honestly you bring up some great points. A lot of times when buying from a label the only option is Media Mail. It really doesn’t matter what shipping service you choose if the record isn’t packaged securely it’s going to get damaged if really doesn’t matter if it gets to me in 2 days or 10 days. Obviously the longer it’s in transit the more opportunities it has to take on more damage I get that. I also send everything Media Mail when selling records and have never had an issue in 15 years. Honestly it’s all about how you package a record.

Also, if you think this is the reason labels are charging around $40.00 for single LP’s then I don’t know what to tell you. 

I followed this thread as soon as I saw it and was ready to order 30 minutes before they went on sale. Sadly I didn't get one but kept following this thread on a hope and prayer they might release more. 

So if anyone is super upset that their corner is bent please PM me and I'll be happy to buy it from you!!

...For half price. Because you know, bent corner. 

1 minute ago, LS1BadBird said:

I followed this thread as soon as I saw it and was ready to order 30 minutes before they went on sale. Sadly I didn't get one but kept following this thread on a hope and prayer they might release more. 

So if anyone is super upset that their corner is bent please PM me and I'll be happy to buy it from you!!

...For half price. Because you know, bent corner. 

Can I interest you in one of four jackets?

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

It's a shame that all this free time I'm wasting on cooking up zingers isn't spent more productively – just think of how many replacement jackets and printed inner sleeves I could accumulate if I was focusing less on VC likes and more on being an insufferable customer.

As it's been pointed out, your post history is ripe with complaints of transit damage, or sniffing around for coupon codes.  You're not only buying new releases for less than MSRP, but you're making small[er] labels jump through hoops to ensure you have a perfect product.  You just got done claiming that you own thousands of records amassed over a decade and a half.  By now you should know how this shit works.  The photos you shared on the last page are pretty commonplace for a lot of sealed, new records I receive today.  Literally could not imagine taking the time to beg for a new jacket anytime one showed up in NM- condition.

Your right, I do get how this works and have had plenty of horror stories of getting records in bubble mailers or like mentioned before pizza boxes. That was part of the game back in the day, nothing you could do but it accept for what it is. It just seems a lot of these issues could be avoided nowadays with the innovation on record mailers and such. I’m glad you guys are okay with getting records like that but when I know it could be avoided it’s just a little frustrating.

I really do appreciate your posts on this board Derek, even if they’re at my expense. One of the only reasons to come here anymore.

That’s it from me, should probably go back to work.

4 minutes ago, Kjm23 said:

So honestly you bring up some great points. A lot of times when buying from a label the only option is Media Mail. It really doesn’t matter what shipping service you choose if the record isn’t packaged securely it’s going to get damaged if really doesn’t matter if it gets to me in 2 days or 10 days. Obviously the longer it’s in transit the more opportunities it has to take on more damage I get that. I also send everything Media Mail when selling records and have never had an issue in 15 years. Honestly it’s all about how you package a record.

Also, if you think this is the reason labels are charging around $40.00 for single LP’s then I don’t know what to tell you. 

If you don't think it's a factor, you're choosing to be ignorant. 

Making unrealistic demands of independent sources of music is beyond the pale, in my opinion.

Just now, Kjm23 said:

I’m glad you guys are okay with getting records like that but when I know it could be avoided it’s just a little frustrating.

No one is saying you're not allowed to feel frustrated, by the way.  A dinged corner is a bummer but it's not enough to suck the wind out of my sails from owning a reissue I've been itching to own for years, or a new pre-order I've been looking forward to for months.  A lot of the transit damage is easily avoidable, too.  I've sold tons over the years, with zero complaints.  I am sure that you and I both know "the secret" to ensuring a record arrives nice and snug – with no transit damage – 99% of the time.  It's unrealistic to expect that favor returned by every label and seller if you buy as much shit as I buy.  I don't pretend or assume to know how often you order records, but if you have thousands – even obtained over 15 years – I would have to imagine it's pretty regularly.

And like I said, I'm not above requesting a replacement jacket or even a replacement LP, if it's botched badly enough.  I've posted some doozies on VC over the years.  I still have a copy of Radiohead's Amnesiac that you can comfortably dine on.  I would just argue that our tolerance for un/acceptable jackets are at very different ends.  And if I ran a label my blood pressure would spike alongside the tingles in my scrotum every time I saw an e-mail from you.

Second press looking like a no-go. UME not giving us the go ahead and their reasoning seems a bit skewed but hey they own the masters so it's theirs to do with what they want. Maybe another label will license it again in the future but we're just moving onwards and upwards and have secured 3 licenses alone in the past 2 weeks with other labels that have been amazing to work with and we're very excited about. Of course plants are incredibly backed up so not entirely sure when we will announce but we're moving.

7 minutes ago, wellnow said:

So first you press way too few copies, then your website breaks when you put them up for sale, and now you're telling us no repress. Wonderful. 

How to attack a guy that tried

you start a label

contact UME

make a deal

invest money

listen to people complain all the time. 

tnx @thedillonfor everything 

7 minutes ago, wellnow said:

So first you press way too few copies, then your website breaks when you put them up for sale, and now you're telling us no repress. Wonderful. 

Fuck them for being a small indie label who licensed and pressed a highly sought after record, right?

Get real haha.

• IndigoHollow changed the title to Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue