HUM - Electra 2000 & YPAA Reissues

17 minutes ago, highfives said:

SRC has been pressing their reissue since 2013.  They got the rights from RCA without the consent of the band.  So while it was a legit reissue with label support, it didn’t benefit the band monetarily.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

I have no idea what their licensing contract terms were, if it was for a length of time, total number of copies, etc, but no licensing contract is unlimited. 

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Play
Unmute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:19

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement

Just theorizing but, their contract could have been set to expire because of a new contract with the band.  They set up one last preorder but plant availability, covid, and other issues could have delayed it past the expiration and sell off dates of their contract.  Then they’re stuck with a shit load of preorder dollars, no product, and increasingly pissed of customers.

I would assume if the band approached RCA with a licensing deal, one caveat could have been to sever their deal with SRC.  That would be even easier to agree to if SRC’s contract was already expiring.

Bingo. You stated this much more eloquently than I. I was thinking along these lines. 

Matt said initially that the SRC license was in violation of their contract with their label. My guess is that there was a lawsuit and the SRC license has been revoked. That would explain the delay with the last round of reissues. 

Regardless, given the quality of the DiH and Inlet releases, this is great news!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I saw him at the Portland one he did a couple years ago and it was a good time. 20ish people packed into a video game store the size of a walk in closet. Took tequila shots with him.

The one tonight is at a record store. If ticket sales are any indication, it's going to be maybe about 20ish people as well. I'm looking forward to it. 

• 5 months later...

Talbot just sent out a newsletter & included an update on the E2000 & YPAA reissues.

3bf009d7-1142-4268-f215-73f60c5bf21d.png

HUM RE-ISSUES: YES, IT’S STILL HAPPENING…
Happy to let you know that we are back into this project. It got delayed a bit due to malaise. Currently we are working through an issue with a portion of the test pressings. In the interest of best fidelity, both Electra 2000 and You’d Prefer an Astronaut will be offered as 180g double LPs at 45 rpm. So that’s 8 total sides of records, by my math. We had issues with one of these sides and are working with RTI to sort it out. Once resolved, we’ll be ready to announce a pre-order date. We will, of course, let you know in all of the usual places when that day comes. Thank you for your patience with us/me.