PO: Tomahawk Tonic Mobility

spacer.png

The new album from Tomahawk on Webstore Exclusive 180gr Opaque Metallic Silver LP in textured gatefold packaging (limited to 2000 worldwide)

Exclusive merch bundles available only at our Blixt store. Plus more vinyl stock available at our webstores
Blixt US - lnk.to/IpecacStoreUS
Townsend UK - lnk.to/IpecacStoreUK

Includes digital pre-order of Tonic Immobility. You get 1 track now (streaming via the free Bandcamp app and also available as a high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more), plus the complete album the moment it’s released.

https://lnk.to/TomahawkTonic

Edited by faaip de oiad

• faaip de oiad changed the title to PO: Tomahawk Tonic Mobility

7 minutes ago, MyEnemy said:

Yeah, I had bought the box set on RSD that year and stupidly slept on getting Oddfellows when it came out. Years later realize it’s going for much more than I wanna pay for it.

same here.. I had it on amazon watchlist.wishlist forever thinking it wasn't that limited, guess I just ran out of time. 

Oddfellows was in print and dirt cheap for a significant time after it's release but a couple years ago I began to notice it was starting to be listed for insane prices all over discogs and eBay. 

I dig the new track ok. Feels different in ways and familiar in other ways. The basic sound of the band is there but Mike's voice definitely has had a significant evolution in the last few years. I'm not sure I love the way he uses it anymore. I really like his more obnoxious and nasal aggressive attack and lately he sounds Ike he's doing aggressive with more boasting bassy tones. I miss the vocal overdrive a bit too. So I'm looking forward to the rest but I need to realize this not going to be the same Tomahawk from 20 years ago. I can't believe its been that long. 

• 2 months later...

I'm only one full listen into this but I can see its going to need to grow on me and I have a feeling it will. I like how the songs seem to be more meandering in structure than a lot of other songs from past albums and I think I always wanted to see them go that route more but I'm finding the fulfillment of that wish causing me some turmoil. I think the combination of that approach with how this record's soundstage is  the most live and open they've ever done, like it was tracked in one room is making the band seem too unfamiliar. I like big production like that but they've never sounded quite this big. They're traditionally more contained and articulate and this record feels less articulate and more beefy. Its not a bad thing its just fucking with me. I'll say the biggest problem is that Patton doesn't seem to be fully selling the flamboyance of his vocal "characters." He sounds more like he did on Dead Cross which I did not care for.  I don't care for him leaning on the "gang vocal" doubles he puts into most of the heavy parts. I'd like to hear just one track of him going for something thinner and more aggressive but I'm picky as fuck with the groups I love. I know it sounds ridiculous. The times he pulls from the classic bag of vocal tricks he just sounds like he's too tired to commit to it. I hate saying that but its what I'm feeling. And I get that he's older but damn. Its a record. That's where you go for it the most.

Even with all that, I still think the album is going to grow on me a lot more. The ones that have to grow are usually the ones that stick with me the longest anyway so I look forward to that being the outcome.

On 4/1/2021 at 6:33 AM, mcpherson123 said:

I'm only one full listen into this but I can see its going to need to grow on me and I have a feeling it will. I like how the songs seem to be more meandering in structure than a lot of other songs from past albums and I think I always wanted to see them go that route more but I'm finding the fulfillment of that wish causing me some turmoil. I think the combination of that approach with how this record's soundstage is  the most live and open they've ever done, like it was tracked in one room is making the band seem too unfamiliar. I like big production like that but they've never sounded quite this big. They're traditionally more contained and articulate and this record feels less articulate and more beefy. Its not a bad thing its just fucking with me. I'll say the biggest problem is that Patton doesn't seem to be fully selling the flamboyance of his vocal "characters." He sounds more like he did on Dead Cross which I did not care for.  I don't care for him leaning on the "gang vocal" doubles he puts into most of the heavy parts. I'd like to hear just one track of him going for something thinner and more aggressive but I'm picky as fuck with the groups I love. I know it sounds ridiculous. The times he pulls from the classic bag of vocal tricks he just sounds like he's too tired to commit to it. I hate saying that but its what I'm feeling. And I get that he's older but damn. Its a record. That's where you go for it the most.

Even with all that, I still think the album is going to grow on me a lot more. The ones that have to grow are usually the ones that stick with me the longest anyway so I look forward to that being the outcome.

I am actually feeling quite the same hey. You described a lot of my thoughts. As big of a Patton fan as I am, I am actually finding him the more and more the weakest link on a lot of the recent projects due to the approach he is taking. Not that I know this for certain, but I feel like he is tracking his parts remotely in his studio and sending them in and they always feel 'separate' to the band to me.

It is growing on me after each listen, and I love the energy this is bringing. This is actually the first Patton album I haven't blind purchased, and I am very conflicted right now!

2 minutes ago, rickydenim said:

I am actually feeling quite the same hey. You described a lot of my thoughts. As big of a Patton fan as I am, I am actually finding him the more and more the weakest link on a lot of the recent projects due to the approach he is taking. Not that I know this for certain, but I feel like he is tracking his parts remotely in his studio and sending them in and they always feel 'separate' to the band to me.

It is growing on me after each listen, and I love the energy this is bringing. This is actually the first Patton album I haven't blind purchased, and I am very conflicted right now!

That's interesting. I'm pretty sure that in most interviews I've caught with Duane recently he has said that Patton did the vocals in his home studio for this entire album. I actually think the mixing does a pretty good job of gelling the vocals into the same sonic space but I feel like he may have suffered from being alone and not having anyone around to tell him if the take was strong enough to be left as a final take. 

There are also a few compositional transitions that I feel a younger Tomahawk would have executed more abruptly with more ferocity and I kind of chalk that up to them all being quite a bit older now.  I don't love that but I think I can learn to acclimate to it over time.