Question about "PO" threads

I'm quite new here and I'm seeing something I've never seen in a hi-fi/music forum: PO threads. I always think "Purchase Order" but discovered quickly it meant "Pre-Order". I clicked on one of the links in one and got a malware warning immediately. 

But my question: Every site/forum as its own core purpose even though it may overlap with others. Is this site more about ordering new music than anything else? I notice the site is now owned by SRCVinyl. That, and all the PO threads are the hints that cause me to ask this question. Other than that, I don't actually understand the reason for extremely cryptic OP's in "PO" threads. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Most threads here ARE for sharing pre-orders or new music coming out. Usually, once a thread's topic PO is released it devolves into discussion of said release. Sometimes threads devolve into discussion about the artist (see: Marilyn Manson). 

And even more common is Shaq and Cat gifs. 

Welcome!

The only "pre-order" i've ever been involved in or cared about was the DVD release of the Pulse concert by Pink Floyd. I lost my laser disc copy in a divorce back in the late 20th century and waited YEARS for the DVD release, and followed it carefully.

Now it's just another disc on my shelf. :D 

i.e. I don't do pre-orders any more. I just look for what's actually out there. I was being pushed to "pre-order" an awesome three wheel commuter car about ten years ago. It was always "just around the corner". It never happened. But I didn't do the $100 pre-order, because I've gained the wisdom of a 65 year old. ;)

1 hour ago, Direct driver said:

The only "pre-order" i've ever been involved in or cared about was the DVD release of the Pulse concert by Pink Floyd. I lost my laser disc copy in a divorce back in the late 20th century and waited YEARS for the DVD release, and followed it carefully.

i.e. I don't do pre-orders any more. I just look for what's actually out there. I was being pushed to "pre-order" an awesome three wheel commuter car about ten years ago. It was always "just around the corner". It never happened. But I didn't do the $100 pre-order, because I've gained the wisdom of a 65 year old. ;)

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately for most of the records released here they are very limited, sometimes only 300 or 500 copies, so the threads mostly serve as the community coming together to make sure we all know about new releases from bands we are likely into. That's about it. Then we either rejoice when it's a good album or hit ourselves when it's not good.

1 hour ago, Direct driver said:

Welcome to the boards.  I hope to be actively interested in vinyl at your age.

Like MCDELTAT mentioned, this board lends itself to a lot of limited, newer releases and reissues.  I'm not too sure where your tastes fall – outside of Pink Floyd – but you may have the most success by monitoring specific "catch-all" threads – classic rock, metal, jazz, etc.  They seem to get updated with news of reissues a little more frequently.  Most of this forum is fixated on new age trash, pressed on colorful wax limited to < 1,000 copies.  As such, we are no stranger to playing the pre-order game.  And especially with Covid delays, placing an order that's supposed to take 6 months - but having it take 7-9 instead - is kind of accepted as the new norm, unfortunately.  Sometimes the advertised product doesn't even include all of the features or color of the vinyl that we were led to believe we were purchasing.  It's a frustrating hobby to keep up with, at times.  But not as frustrating as ignoring a release / pre-order in hopes of just "picking it up" later, only to find that all available copies are $80+ on the aftermarket.

Anyways, it sounds like you won't really have to bother with most of that nonsense.  Most of us are a slave to FOMO – Fear of Missing Out – which is why you'll see so much scrambling in a lot of the pre-order threads.  We're all just trying to stay ahead of the curve, and score our favorite limited releases to avoid gouging our wallets down the road.  The majority of users on the board are passionate about the releases they're ordering and discussing, but there are a handful of diddlers that lurk here and snatch up anything that's gaining buzz, in hopes of making a quick buck once it sells out.  Don't be one of those guys.

I'm sure you'll find something on VC that strikes your fancy, at some point.  But until then you may have to wade through a lot of goofy pre-order threads.  And if you ever develop a thirst for overpriced 7"s of Nickelodeon themes, or reissues of circa-2005 Hot Topic hits, we've got you covered.

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Welcome to the boards.  I hope to be actively interested in vinyl at your age.

Like MCDELTAT mentioned, this board lends itself to a lot of limited, newer releases and reissues.  I'm not too sure where your tastes fall – outside of Pink Floyd – but you may have the most success by monitoring specific "catch-all" threads – classic rock, metal, jazz, etc.  They seem to get updated with news of reissues a little more frequently.  Most of this forum is fixated on new age trash, pressed on colorful wax limited to < 1,000 copies.  As such, we are no stranger to playing the pre-order game.  And especially with Covid delays, placing an order that's supposed to take 6 months - but having it take 7-9 instead - is kind of accepted as the new norm, unfortunately.  Sometimes the advertised product doesn't even include all of the features or color of the vinyl that we were led to believe we were purchasing.  It's a frustrating hobby to keep up with, at times.  But not as frustrating as ignoring a release / pre-order in hopes of just "picking it up" later, only to find that all available copies are $80+ on the aftermarket.

Anyways, it sounds like you won't really have to bother with most of that nonsense.  Most of us are a slave to FOMO – Fear of Missing Out – which is why you'll see so much scrambling in a lot of the pre-order threads.  We're all just trying to stay ahead of the curve, and score our favorite limited releases to avoid gouging our wallets down the road.  The majority of users on the board are passionate about the releases they're ordering and discussing, but there are a handful of diddlers that lurk here and snatch up anything that's gaining buzz, in hopes of making a quick buck once it sells out.  Don't be one of those guys.

I'm sure you'll find something on VC that strikes your fancy, at some point.  But until then you may have to wade through a lot of goofy pre-order threads.  And if you ever develop a thirst for overpriced 7"s of Nickelodeon themes, or reissues of circa-2005 Hot Topic hits, we've got you covered.

That was a great, informative, and funny post. Thanks for that. BTW, I tried to put my musical tastes in my profile but the site is not allowing me to edit my profile, so I'll just wait until it does. My tastes are ridiculously eclectic. The only "music" I don't like is Hip hop and Rap. But that's just a taste thing.

2 hours ago, nardes said:

I really wish we’d drop the PO Now, PO Soon, PO-, and dates in the titles. Dumb and not necessary. It should just be the artist and album title/collection being discussed. 

It's dumb if it isn't updated, but calling it dumb to swap the title from "soon" to "NOW" when something drops is hardly dumb. I guess it helps if your taste is basically just massive pop albums where preorder Swiftness doesn't matter, but to most of us it's appreciated.

11 hours ago, Shelby American said:

It's dumb if it isn't updated, but calling it dumb to swap the title from "soon" to "NOW" when something drops is hardly dumb. I guess it helps if your taste is basically just massive pop albums where preorder Swiftness doesn't matter, but to most of us it's appreciated.

Unless Ms. Swift is involved in that pre-order and you miss on the 50 billion variants you'll inevitably need to collect them all Pokemon style. 

13 hours ago, nardes said:

I really wish we’d drop the PO Now, PO Soon, PO-, and dates in the titles. Dumb and not necessary. It should just be the artist and album title/collection being discussed. 

I'm a member of a lot of forums on various subjects. Something I notice that is interesting is that if they allow politial posts or threads, it takes little time before if you select the "latest posts" tab, virtually ALL posts are political. Fortunately, this site doesn't have that problem. It has "PO", instead. :D

At least it's related to the site purpose. ;)

31 minutes ago, Corgipants said:

Unless Ms. Swift is involved in that pre-order and you miss on the 50 billion variants you'll inevitably need to collect them all Pokemon style. 

There hasn't been a Swift variant that's difficult to grab which is my point you half picked up on. Once you realize this it's easy to appreciate exact preorder drops that aren't open for a week.

It hits different when you miss a variant because you didn't know the drop time despite knowing the date. Missing something because you weren't a fan back then or didn't collect vinyl is definitely not an indicator for how hard it was to get.

2 minutes ago, Shelby American said:

There hasn't been a Swift variant that's difficult to grab which is my point you half picked up on. Once you realize this it's easy to appreciate exact preorder drops that aren't open for a week.

It hits different when you miss a variant because you didn't know the drop time despite knowing the date. Missing something because you weren't a fan back then or didn't collect vinyl is definitely not an indicator for how hard it was to get.

Touche, I stand corrected.