PO: The Armed - Ultrapop (4/16/2021)

zaoza

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, axisrecapital said:

Expensive.  

The Armed make their feature film debut with ULTRAPOP: Live At The Masonic Temple, an incredible narrative-driven concert film directed by Tony Wolski, presented by Sargent House. Part “Lemonade,” part “Live at Pompeii” and fully infused with a sense of Lynchian dread - the project is a stunningly-filmed cinematic document of live performances taking place within the opulent chapels, imposing asylum rooms, full-size indoor handball courts, halls (and more) of the mysterious Masonic Temple of Detroit; a 550,000 square foot fortress in the heart of the city. Live performance and story-driven narrative melt seamlessly into one another, as the film confronts themes of identity, information warfare, the commoditization of artistic product, and commodification of the artist. The film also definitively shines a light on The Armed’s often-mysterious, collaborative structure—revealing an ever-changing lineup over the course of its runtime as they perform tracks off The Armed’s break-out album ULTRAPOP, selections from their second LP, Only Love and CYBERPUNK 2077 single “Night City Aliens”. The movie culminates in the ultimate catharsis with the entire collective converging for the devastating closer ”On Jupiter.”

Edited by hallowken78

It's pricy but the package sounds amazing:

180g, black + white vinyl in a gorgeous double-gatefold jacket with gloss varnish logo stamping and a 26 page, full-color booklet of stunning photography from the film.

Each ultraluxe copy comes with an exclusive fold out movie poster that is hand-numbered and signed by Dan Greene, himself.

Elsewhere it was confirmed that the score is by Ben Chisholm of Chelsea Wolfe.  So we're getting the live tracks and Ben Chisholm score on this.

I grabbed the vinyl and a ticket to the digital premier

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, hallowken78 said:

Did anyone watch the film?  Thoughts?

I think overall its very cool if a little short. Its interesting to see them sort of blow up the mysterious aspect of the band and now lean in on this universe they've created. Like it really seems to help set up a sandbox where on the next album the music videos and promo will build on whats shown in the movie. If that's what they want to do. My only complaint about the movie is that it seems possible that elements of the live performances are faked in the interest of moving the narrative forward. 

1 hour ago, hallowken78 said:

Did anyone watch the film?  Thoughts?

I thought it was fantastic!  I loved how the songs were significantly different than the album versions.  I felt like it had a good balance between the narrative and the performance.  Looked gorgeous.  If you've been following the lore it answered some questions and added some new ones.  Literally my only gripe is that the end of On Jupiter wasn't longer.

21 hours ago, birdturbo said:

Hopefully there's a VOD or something planned down the line because it was too good to have disappear after a couple weeks.

our understanding is that the movie will be available on streaming for a while (they only book out a week at a time, but they will add more showings), I believe it's broken into showings to try and keep the website from being slowed down.

I can't imagine we WON'T see a physical release at some point, it was revealed that it was mixed in 5.1 and apparently you can stream it at 5.1 but who actually has a set up for that?

15 hours ago, daegor said:

our understanding is that the movie will be available on streaming for a while (they only book out a week at a time, but they will add more showings), I believe it's broken into showings to try and keep the website from being slowed down.

I can't imagine we WON'T see a physical release at some point, it was revealed that it was mixed in 5.1 and apparently you can stream it at 5.1 but who actually has a set up for that?

I watched it in 5.1 and it was incredible! Worth finding a friend with a home theater setup to get the full experience. Hoping for a physical release down the line so I can watch it over and over again.