Why Has Green Day's "1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours" Never Been Pressed on Vinyl?

With all of the represses of 39 Smooth over the years (along with the bonus 7" editions), I'm really surprised they've never done a double LP version of "1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours" that combines 39 Smooth with all of the 7" tracks. I know that Lookout Records was going to issue this on vinyl but then Green Day pulled their catalogue so it never got passed the test pressing stage. Any hardcore Green Day fans have any insight into whether this is likely to ever happen?

On 2/6/2021 at 10:36 PM, jerseypride said:

Yeah. I'm referring to a different release that's a 2xLP: 

https://www.discogs.com/Green-Day-1039-Smoothed-Out-Slappy-Hours/release/9226756

Ohhhh, I see. Apologies.  I honestly forgot I had this version until I looked it up on Discogs. 

• 6 months later...
3 minutes ago, IndigoHollow said:

Should be this one? No label or barcode on the cover.

https://www.discogs.com/ru/Green-Day-39Smooth/release/1661268

Right, I think that's definitely the one it's supposed to be. My question is how likely is it that this is a legitimate Lookout press as opposed to a bootleg. I see that the seller keeps adding more copies as they sell. It just seems weird to me that a seller would have so many sealed copies of this version, which has been out of print for many years. I know warehouse stock shows up from time to time so it's definitely possible this is legit. I'll be sure to inspect the matrix etching and labels when my copy arrives.

1 hour ago, jerseypride said:

Right, I think that's definitely the one it's supposed to be. My question is how likely is it that this is a legitimate Lookout press as opposed to a bootleg. I see that the seller keeps adding more copies as they sell. It just seems weird to me that a seller would have so many sealed copies of this version, which has been out of print for many years. I know warehouse stock shows up from time to time so it's definitely possible this is legit. I'll be sure to inspect the matrix etching and labels when my copy arrives.

It's definitely a bootleg. The only evidence I've seen of a 1,039 press is a test press on Discogs. Any other recent release has been 39/Smooth with 2 7" included.

It looks like the eBay auction is actually for this version of the LP, based on the address for Lookout Records on the back of the sleeve.

https://www.discogs.com/Green-Day-39Smooth/release/368728

Repressing with P.O. Box 11374, Berkeley Calif. 94701 address on the back sleeve started in late 1990 and lasted until Lookout Records phased in barcodes sometime between 1996 and 1999 (the album was repressed more than once during this time : late 1990 - between 1996 and 1999).
Sleeve without barcode. 
Discs and labels are identical to the first black vinyl pressing.
Issued with a 12" square printed insert with art and lyrics. The IRS records logo and any mentions of IRS Records were removed from the inserts for this pressing, likely because of copyright issues. The only differences between this pressing and the first pressing on black vinyl are the insert and the address on the back of the jacket.

1 hour ago, tackman said:

It looks like the eBay auction is actually for this version of the LP, based on the address for Lookout Records on the back of the sleeve.

Interesting. If these are actual "warehouse finds" of this pressing, that would be pretty rad.

15 hours ago, ultramidtempo said:

Received my copy in the mail today, purchased when it was $25.  The matrix number and etching message, along with Berkeley address without barcode fits with 

It was sealed in tight shrinkwrap. 

Because of this thread, I found a copy of Kerplunk by the same seller. I'm also concerned this is a bootleg, but given your experience, maybe not? Will let you all know when it arrives.

Edited by MacDonals

Both of these albums from this seller have been listed on and off for at least three years. Weird that they're getting so much traction right now... probably why they went from $29.99 to $49.99. At one point they were $23.99, but shipping to Canada still killed it for me so I didn't bother. 

Update: still have an old listing saved in my "saved for later" cart, Kerplunk used to be listed for $18.74.

Edited by bridley

28 minutes ago, bridley said:

Both of these albums from this seller have been listed on and off for at least three years. Weird that they're getting so much traction right now... probably why they went from $29.99 to $49.99. At one point they were $23.99, but shipping to Canada still killed it for me so I didn't bother. 

Update: still have an old listing saved in my "saved for later" cart, Kerplunk used to be listed for $18.74.

You’re right - doing a google search for the eBay description for Kerplunk (I used "LK46LP - 763361904614" ) there are the exact same eBay listings from 2017 and 2018 (Here and here and a reddit post about it ), so it’s weird that they have this large unopened supply to sell at random times.  

Part of it makes sense that there’s unopened stock because it was the most popular lookout release in the late 90s so there’s likely a very large pressing(s) over the course of years.

I’m skeptical like you all, but I couldn’t find any issues with the 39/smooth copy.  It sounded great!  I’ll update with the kerplunk that’s in transit if someone hasn’t done it before me. 

Edited by ultramidtempo

13 hours ago, ultramidtempo said:

You’re right - doing a google search for the eBay description for Kerplunk (I used "LK46LP - 763361904614" ) there are the exact same eBay listings from 2017 and 2018 (Here and here and a reddit post about it ), so it’s weird that they have this large unopened supply to sell at random times.  

Part of it makes sense that there’s unopened stock because it was the most popular lookout release in the late 90s so there’s likely a very large pressing(s) over the course of years.

I’m skeptical like you all, but I couldn’t find any issues with the 39/smooth copy.  It sounded great!  I’ll update with the kerplunk that’s in transit if someone hasn’t done it before me. 

This is super interesting, and I'm really looking forward to my copy of Kerplunk arriving so I can dig into it. I would expect it to looked fairly aged if it's an original LK46 pressing.  We will see. DRAMA