PO Now - The Offspring - Let The Bad Times Roll (Out on April 16th)

• 2 weeks later...

No one likes Cruising California!!  lol  I love that jam.  In the right scenario.  Summertime at the beach or a BBQ, or summer nighttime drives with the old school subs rockin' the bass in the trunk.  Come on.  How can all their other pop jams get love but pure hate for that one.

Anyways, clearly Let The Bad Times Roll is their lead straight pop song.  Come Out And Play, Pretty Fly, Original Prankster, Hit That, Cruising California, most albums have one.  It's been a recipe for massive success, why wouldn't they.  And with that said, I like the song, it's fun.  I do dislike that their other more actual punk songs get buried in the back & never get any play live, but.  What can we do.  It's the way the world works, they're gonna play their most played songs on iTunes and Spotify.  I'd much rather see Pretty Fly get axed from the setlist in favor of The Meaning Of Life.  But it ain't gonna happen.  Love them or hate 'em, they've been doing this since Smash in 94, do you really expect them to release some kind of underground punk rock record now?

I grew up in the early to mid 90's in the Dre & Snoop era, and mostly only listened to rap & hip-hop, but the Smash album changed all that for me when I eventually discovered it in about 1995.  So I'll always have a special place for The Offspring.  Probably my favorite band if I were forced to choose just one.  From my era, at least.

• 1 month later...

I like Hassan Chop and the new Gone Away. The rest is "meh" to me. 

*I favor S/T Offspring thru Ixnay. It's what I actively listened to as a kid. I still appreciate some of Americana and have a nostalgia-related affair with parts of CoO, for reference.*

It's not bad. "Tolerable" as Boaty put it. 

I guess I’m a bit younger, so I discovered the band when Americana came out and worked my way backwards. I will happily listen to anything up to and including the punk half of Splinter. This record seems like a good successor to Splinter. 
Last time I saw them live was at the end of 2019, they played the new version of Gone Away with Dexter at the piano and candles all over the place. I get the sentiment, but it felt out of place at a punk show where they played mostly songs from the 90’s albums (great fucking show, btw). It feels out of place on the record to me somehow, too. I think I like the original better. 

On 4/20/2021 at 8:49 AM, Boaty McBoatface said:

Last time I saw them live was at the end of 2019, they played the new version of Gone Away with Dexter at the piano and candles all over the place. I get the sentiment, but it felt out of place at a punk show where they played mostly songs from the 90’s albums (great fucking show, btw). It feels out of place on the record to me somehow, too. I think I like the original better. 

I too, was thinking similarly.  I think this song is one of the band's most popular, and being as the version they always play live is entirely different than the LP, it only made sense for them to release it.  I think it would have been better as an anniversary standalone single of sorts (or included as an Ixnay anniversary rerelease?), but I think from the business perspective of the band, it's wiser to put it on a full length.  It'll give the broad audience who would give that song the attention, an increased chance they'll also check out (and purchase) the other 11 tracks.  Though this theory may be much less relevant in the day and age of streaming...  When you were buying a tape, CD or record for one song, you were buying the whole thing like it or not, so it makes more sense in that aspect.  But it's my guess that the idea still applied.