PO (03.16. 11AM EST): Saves the Day - In Reverie (2nd press) (PGR004)

1 hour ago, mr. sincere said:

Fantastic highlight of 2003:

Got this album and Thursday's 'War All The Time' signed by the bands on release day when they both played an in-store at Vintage Vinyl in NJ back-to-back. Ridiculous double bill. Anyone else there?

I saw Thursday open for them in Las Vegas a few years prior, it was awesome. No signed albums but I stole the big poster out of the marquee after the show. My mom sold it at a garage sale a decade later. RIP. 

What makes In Reverie even weirder is they immediately abandoned that more polished, softer, “mature” direction with their follow up album Sound the Alarm, which is more faux-angry, embarrassing and unfocused than Can’t Slow Down (which was actually made by kids and is fun and dope). I’ve skimmed every record since Sound the Alarm as they’ve been released and they all sound like they’re by a less sophisticated and experienced band than the one that recorded TBC/SWYA/IR. Instead of getting old and boring, they somehow got less focused and more inexperienced sounding, IMO. (Sorry cause I know some people legit like their last 4-5 records for what they are)

Edited by Oblivions

2 hours ago, vasefullofrocks said:

These opinions are wild. 

In Reverie is great and Sound The Alarm is too. It's not "faux-angry" or embarrassing. It's clear pain from someone who's incredibly depressed and lost their way. If you don't like it, that's fine. But the emotions are real.

Totally. I have so much love for Sound The Alarm/Under The Boards/Daybreak.

10 hours ago, vasefullofrocks said:

These opinions are wild. 

In Reverie is great and Sound The Alarm is too. It's not "faux-angry" or embarrassing. It's clear pain from someone who's incredibly depressed and lost their way. If you don't like it, that's fine. But the emotions are real.

My apologies in regards to questioning the validity of their feelings. I get that it’s personal to Chris and people who resonate with his lyrics and expression (and that people like all their albums). I also apologize that I’m taking a more casual view on the band as someone who loved the first 4 records and didn’t join them for the rest of their artistic journey. I get that there are a lot of people who still love everything they do.

My comment intended to be about the “angry” sound of the music that was introduced on that record and how Sound the Alarm, in general, feels like it’d come in a band’s career before they released their slower, indie pop “mature” record (I feel like it sounds like it’d also come before SWYA). For me, Sound the Alarm and the later records remind me of bands that aren’t as good as Saves the Day and blend in to the crowd more than what they had been doing previously. For me, TBC and SWYA and IR feel like sharper, more focused, more creative albums and it’s interesting that the band actually got angrier (at times) and less focused (IMO) as they went instead of getting slower and more boring (and following the In Reverie path) as many bands do.

1 hour ago, Oblivions said:

My apologies in regards to questioning the validity of their feelings. I get that it’s personal to Chris and people who resonate with his lyrics and expression (and that people like all their albums). I also apologize that I’m taking a more casual view on the band as someone who loved the first 4 records and didn’t join them for the rest of their artistic journey. I get that there are a lot of people who still love everything they do.

My comment intended to be about the “angry” sound of the music that was introduced on that record and how Sound the Alarm, in general, feels like it’d come in a band’s career before they released their slower, indie pop “mature” record (I feel like it sounds like it’d also come before SWYA). For me, Sound the Alarm and the later records remind me of bands that aren’t as good as Saves the Day and blend in to the crowd more than what they had been doing previously. For me, TBC and SWYA and IR feel like sharper, more focused, more creative albums and it’s interesting that the band actually got angrier (at times) and less focused (IMO) as they went instead of getting slower and more boring (and following the In Reverie path) as many bands do.

I really like this response. My first album of theirs was SWYA, but I listened to TBC after and was blown away. One of my all-time favorite records. I just think it's one of the pinnacles of pop punk. That being said, my other favorite record of theirs is Sound The Alarm haha. It's just so interesting seeing kind of...the unraveling of his mind and a complete shift where you can tell he's kind of gone off the rails. It feels more emo and angsty and raw. I definitely know that's not for everyone because I think his voice can be incredibly hit or miss post In Reverie. 

I think 9 is just an absolute mess. It's got some cool stuff like 27 and Suzuki, but Chris' voice and the production decisions are the absolute worst on that album. 

SWYA Chris voice was my fave. I saw them at the House of Blues in Anaheim in 2002 with Ash and Kind of Like Spitting and that voice worked well on tracks from all their records, especially electric Jessie & My Whetstone. I saw them again after In Reverie at the Palladium and he was doing the In Reverie voice on everything and it did not sound good with the older songs, IMO. 😕

Edited by Oblivions

• xfactor675 changed the title to PO (03.16. 11AM EST): Saves the Day - In Reverie (2nd press) (PGR004)