PO: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END! (April 02, 2021)

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

When you say you haven't kept up with their LPs in years... does that mean you haven't even listened to them, period?  Or just haven't picked them up physically?  I'd love to have all their post-hiatus stuff fresh and ready for a first listen.  So many people dismiss "new" Godspeed because it's not on the same scale as LYSF, but I think that's pretty cheap.  New material is killer in my opinion, even if the live versions that they workshop end up getting trimmed here and there for the studio cuts.

Their last 3 albums – soon to be 4 – are all released the same way.  Toured extensively for a few years, then finally committed to a proper studio recording.  Lots of people seem to scoff that it doesn't hit quite the same, but the inverse is common practice, isn't it?  Artist releases new album, you consume the studio version for months, then go see them perform it live and relish the extended sections or changed nuances.

Aside from Lift Your Skinny Fists I think Luciferian Towers might be right up there among my favorite Godspeed albums. Bosses Hang are such magnificent pieces.

5 minutes ago, prowl20 said:

Aside from Lift Your Skinny Fists I think Luciferian Towers might be right up there among my favorite Godspeed albums. Bosses Hang are such magnificent pieces.

Bosses Hang has lost none of its magic for me over the last ~4 years, totally agree.  The western tinge and [uncharacteristic] joyous nature of that track made it a standout.  Kind of blows my mind when people call that entire album forgettable or "nowhere near as good as the old stuff".

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Bosses Hang has lost none of its magic for me over the last ~4 years, totally agree.  The western tinge and [uncharacteristic] joyous nature of that track made it a standout.  Kind of blows my mind when people call that entire album forgettable or "nowhere near as good as the old stuff".

100%. I think the only album I really don't listen to that much is Asunder. I like 'Allelujah! but I think mostly because of the nostalgia attached to that record / seeing them live for the first time. Everything else is mint. Still looking for a copy of that Sunshine + Gasoline single :( 

1 hour ago, Pr0gMus3 said:

Anyone knows where to get it in Canada? I'm from Montreal (where the band is from and produces), yet I only find US stores to order from with $30+ in shipping fees! I could walk to CST's HQ! Thanks.

P0M3

Probably best to call around your local record stores (pretty sure Phonopolis usually carries CST stuff). The good thing with CST is that their pressings usually never go out of print, so there's really no point in rushing to pre-order, especially in Canada. 

20 hours ago, Derek™ said:

When you say you haven't kept up with their LPs in years... does that mean you haven't even listened to them, period?  Or just haven't picked them up physically? 

Both, actually. For whatever reason, just never came about listening to any of the last 3 records. Working in music, there was a few years I just didn’t listen to anything at all, and recently just too much coming out, too quickly, those albums just fell through the cracks. And when they regrouped in 2012, I was in full swing tour mode, for a few years, so I’ve, regrettably, never been able to catch them live either. Probably gonna grab the last few, physically, then just dive in. 

3 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

Both, actually. For whatever reason, just never came about listening to any of the last 3 records. Working in music, there was a few years I just didn’t listen to anything at all, and recently just too much coming out, too quickly, those albums just fell through the cracks. And when they regrouped in 2012, I was in full swing tour mode, for a few years, so I’ve, regrettably, never been able to catch them live either. Probably gonna grab the last few, physically, then just dive in. 

Lucky.  Post-hiatus Godspeed is a whole new animal.  If you can swing it, you should grab their last 3 albums and spin them leading up to the release of this new one.  (I'm already revisiting their newer stuff and we're still a month out.)  I don't think the newer albums are as dense or intricate as their older stuff, but the longer cuts definitely go places and even pack a little more bite than you probably remember the band being capable of.  I'm excited for you to get acquainted with them.

And it goes without saying that their live shows are a force to be reckoned with.  Hope you can make that happen as soon as possible, if live music ever becomes a thing again.

6 hours ago, Pr0gMus3 said:

Anyone knows where to get it in Canada? I'm from Montreal (where the band is from and produces), yet I only find US stores to order from with $30+ in shipping fees! I could walk to CST's HQ! Thanks.

P0M3

Order from the constellation site. They always have good shipping prices too.
http://cstrecords.com/

7 hours ago, Pr0gMus3 said:

P0M3

bandcamp ships to canada for pretty low rate i think?   it’s sold out for now but it will be restocked there

sorry just checked it’s $12 for first item, that’s definitely not cheap

Edited by wuhanclan

9 hours ago, wuhanclan said:

bandcamp ships to canada for pretty low rate i think?   it’s sold out for now but it will be restocked there

sorry just checked it’s $12 for first item, that’s definitely not cheap

I've found average shipping for 12" within canada is still often around $20... so $12 is still reasonable.

1 hour ago, voltagedrop said:

Nice. I think the visual aspect of the band live is underappreciated too. After I last saw them, I spoke with Karl Lemieux. He tore off a strip of film and gave it to me. I keep it with the album from that time, which was Asunder, Sweet...

2 hours ago, no.one said:

Nice. I think the visual aspect of the band live is underappreciated too. After I last saw them, I spoke with Karl Lemieux. He tore off a strip of film and gave it to me. I keep it with the album from that time, which was Asunder, Sweet...

Smidge jealous, that’s awesome.

It’s probably just the label being printed but Constellation just sent me an e-mail stating that my order has been shipped.

• 3 weeks later...