PO: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END! (April 02, 2021)

2 new tracks debuted tonight.  Lines up with a Belgian article that recently mentioned a new album in September.  The video clips I heard were glorious… but I also say this as someone who’s really happy with their last album, and isn’t even remotely tired of them covering the same ground they do so well.

Bits of the percussion and flow at a few parts were giving me major DMST vibes.  Which is a good thing.

45 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

2 new tracks debuted tonight.  Lines up with a Belgian article that recently mentioned a new album in September.  The video clips I heard were glorious… but I also say this as someone who’s really happy with their last album, and isn’t even remotely tired of them covering the same ground they do so well.

Bits of the percussion and flow at a few parts were giving me major DMST vibes.  Which is a good thing.

3 songs actually, per discord!  The clips were great, and there were tapers at the show so we'll get to hear them in a couple days! 

I think I’m going to uphold my tradition of not listening to the actual tracks, especially so far in advance of a release date (which we don’t even have yet).  I do like to go into the new records 95% blind, I think that’s the most fun and rewarding.  Way too many horror stories from people binging bootlegs for months and then feeling underwhelmed that there’s “not enough new material” when the album drops, or that the songs and their production just don’t “feel the same”.  (Which, I mean… yeah.)

I was able to whet my appetite with some very promising clips from the new songs last night, and that’s more than enough to keep new Godspeed atop my list of most-anticipated music.  To each their own though.

19 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I think I’m going to uphold my tradition of not listening to the actual tracks, especially so far in advance of a release date (which we don’t even have yet).  I do like to go into the new records 95% blind, I think that’s the most fun and rewarding.  Way too many horror stories from people binging bootlegs for months and then feeling underwhelmed that there’s “not enough new material” when the album drops, or that the songs and their production just don’t “feel the same”.  (Which, I mean… yeah.)

I was able to whet my appetite with some very promising clips from the new songs last night, and that’s more than enough to keep new Godspeed atop my list of most-anticipated music.  To each their own though.

Yeah I feel you on that, especially because i found the versions of Bosses Hang live before Luciferian Towers came out to be EXCEPTIONALLY more badass than how they whittled the song down for the album. 

That said, I cannot abstain because I am pathological in my consuption lol.  I can think of only one album where i waited for the vinyl, which was Long Road North by Cult of Luna. 

I've done Song 2 so far, thanks to a youtube video, and i'm curious to see how they develop it.  It's a bit sprawling, and jammy, which I guess is to be expected for this stage of the game.  And I don't mean that to be negative or disparaging at all, just descriptive.  It's cool tho! 

On 2/24/2024 at 11:39 PM, Derek™ said:

Having no clue GYBE were prepping a new album and DMST being one of my all-time favorite bands, this is the greatest thing ever to read on a Monday morning. I'm going to try to hold off on listening to any live clips for now, but I'm hyped!