Soon? The Mars Volta

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

SO FUCKING COST PROHIBITIVE.

Goddamn it... fuck... shit....

This is gonna sell out before I convince myself to pay for it.

6 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

SO FUCKING COST PROHIBITIVE.

Goddamn it... fuck... shit....

This is gonna sell out before I convince myself to pay for it.

Perfect for anyone who loves the whole discography and owns very little of it.  It’s like $28 per LP (of an 18-LP set) with several of those LPs being half-baked De-Loused tracks.  /5,000 if it makes you feel any better.

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Perfect for anyone who loves the whole discography and owns very little of it.  It’s like $28 per LP (of an 18-LP set) with several of those LPs being half-baked De-Loused tracks.  /5,000 if it makes you feel any better.

Considering the extreme cost and the /5000 quantity, it might last long enough for me to sell enough shit to justify this but I really just want a few of these. I would gladly pay $28 for just the ones I want. But this is a fucking financial commitment in one go. Its a really hard sell.

EDIT: and actually, its really only 10 separate bodies of work so it look more like $48 a piece. Two of which are only 12" singles it looks like. That's rough.

Edited by mcpherson123

3 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Considering the extreme cost and the /5000 quantity, it might last long enough for me to sell enough shit to justify this but I really just want a few of these. I would gladly pay $28 for just the ones I want. But this is a fucking financial commitment in one go. Its a really hard sell.

Yeah, I don’t love this band’s discography so it’s tough to putting a few hundred towards some vinyl I’ll just never realistically spin.  I have a colored De-Loused from years back that’s treated me well, and I think I can hold out for a potential Frances press later on.  That’s kind of all I’d need, personally, so I’m having a tough talking myself into dropping that kind of money.  But more power to you if you go for it.

Watch them list colored variants of each album individually after the box sells out. 🙄

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

Yeah, I don’t love this band’s discography so it’s tough to putting a few hundred towards some vinyl I’ll just never realistically spin.  I have a colored De-Loused from years back that’s treated me well, and I think I can hold out for a potential Frances press later on.  That’s kind of all I’d need, personally, so I’m having a tough talking myself into dropping that kind of money.  But more power to you if you go for it.

Watch them list colored variants of each album individually after the box sells out. 🙄

I'm hoping for individual albums but not colored. I mean, after all the clamoring, they can't possibly ONLY release these together in this box set, right?

3 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I'm hoping for individual albums but not colored. I mean, after all the clamoring, they can't possibly ONLY release these together in this box set, right?

I don’t think so.  You have to consider the legal gridlock that these albums were in for years and years.  Now that the dust has settled, there is absolutely no way this is a one-time press.  (Even if it was, it’d be advertised as such – that’s a huge selling point, right?)  I’ve got to imagine that individual copies will go up only after the box has sold out.  Zero reason to put them up alongside the box.  They need to play off FOMO and any fans who are waffling and don’t want to risk missing out.

When you think about what legitimate copies of the first 2 records go for online, it makes sense. I agree the box is beautiful. I'm a huge fan of theirs and have no records in the catalog, so this is a no brainer for me. I also think this will sell out by the end of today and at that point the box will be worth more than $500. This all said, I can't see them not selling the albums as individuals after this. It makes sense on their end to do the high end limited box first, let that go, and then pick up all the individual sales after.