Soon? The Mars Volta

22 hours ago, larshj said:

For those who missed the boxset there will cancelled copies up on the official shop and bandcamp at 5pm (cest) tomorrow (more info on the CH FB page).

Talked myself out of it the first time around due to owning all of the separates apart from Bedlam, but then reading the interview with Omar and seeing it had all been remastered (which I didn’t feel was initially clear), I needed it. Was just a tad too late for the EU store, so very stoked to have managed to grab one from the drop that went live today!

2 hours ago, redroom said:

Picked mine up at a retail store here in Belgium.  Very well packed I must say. 

Payed €326 ($393) for it. The best price I've seen so far. Never thought they would actually get it. 

Nice. That’s definitely closer to a fair price. I’m just sitting on mine. I’ll open it and check it out later, but I still feel like $500 was a ridiculous price for what’s in it. Oh well.

1 hour ago, redroom said:

Still impressed by the box and all the details. Nice way to store/hide the pins and keep your records save. You'll see it (or maybe not) when you get the box. 

But when I took out the first vinyl I immediately felt this wasn't 180gr. (also confirmed on discogs) 

For me it doesn't matter because lower weight vinyl is better for sound quality and it does sound perfect! 

But I already see people on discogs that they want a replacement because... Blah blah blah. 

People are fucking ridiculous hahah

I don’t think people are ridiculous, unless they are flying off the handle with rage about it, which seems to be the go to extreme for so many  these days. I would have bought the box anyway if it wasn’t advertised as 180g so I don’t really care. But, because it was advertised that way, I at least would like acknowledgment of the error, an apology(a general, not a personal), and then they can offer to pay for return postage for anyone who who wants to return their NM or better box set for a refund, because they feel so “ripped off” or betrayed or lied to. I would bet they wouldn’t get many takers on that, LOL. Of course the “demand” to repress everything is silly. 

If it was a legit mistake, and they acknowledge it like above, I’m good. I’m not on all the socials so I don’t know if this has gone down or if they are just flipping the bird at people voicing their disappointment, but if they aren’t being cool about it (as one person on Discogs says, that’s not cool at all. 

I did dive into the set last night and yes, the highlight is the sound quality so far. I only got through Tremulant and Landscape Tantrums but both sounded really great, with near perfect pressing quality. I had a few softer ticks on LT. I really can’t wait to hear the rest.

While the music is ultimately what’s important here and they really did a great job with that, I’m not as impressed with physical portions of the box. The book left a lot to desired for me. Not having the Francis EP (there’s easily room for it though, so maybe we can add it later), and the (lack of) vinyl weight all take it down a notch for my value of the box set. 

As a big fan of the music and a record fan, I can’t help but love this set despite its flaws. Definitely awesome.

2 hours ago, kannibal said:

I don’t think people are ridiculous, unless they are flying off the handle with rage about it, which seems to be the go to extreme for so many  these days. 

Sure thing, that’s what I was addressing. It’s one thing to air a little grievances about it, wish for a statement and move on, but some people go ahead and feel entitled to demand a repress of 90k records because of a weight difference. It’s delusional. 

21 hours ago, dantheriver said:

Canceled via Amazon,

even though I was paying with Hilton points this had to be one of my stupider purchases ever when I really just need FTM.

I want to cancel my Bullmoose order for the same reason but can't seem to pull the trigger. Clouds Hill would be fools to not release these individually. I know we've all gone around in circles about this, but it has to happen right? RIGHT!?!

4 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

Sure thing, that’s what I was addressing. It’s one thing to air a little grievances about it, wish for a statement and move on, but some people go ahead and feel entitled to demand a repress of 90k records because of a weight difference. It’s delusional. 

I think part of the issue that got peoples’ backs up was the owner’s stop bitching comment when someone complained. 

I agree though, repressing 90k records is not really an option and I suspect most people who bought the box set would rather have it as is rather than not at all. 

Edited by Skacel

8 minutes ago, januarytwenty said:

I’m more appalled Johann doesn’t know the difference between too and to. 

What's actually hilarious is English is his second language... and he DID use them right. At least in that post above he did. Is English your second language?

16 minutes ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

What's actually hilarious is English is his second language... and he DID use them right. At least in that post above he did. Is English your second language?

Yeah, I can let that slide but I can’t forgive his use of “vinyl s”. Surely he means Grailz. 

I just noticed this site autocorrects vinyl(s) to vinyl 😆

Edited by Skacel

26 minutes ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

“...box to heavy for shipping”

What’s actually hilarious is English is my second language ☺️ Nice try though!

Edited by januarytwenty

It’s not that strange people are complaining, right? The preorder implied these would be the complete studio recordings (turned out that wasn’t the case) on 180 gram vinyl (which apparently isn’t the case). When you charge upwards of 400 + shipping for what’s basically six albums and some extras it’s not that weird that people expect to receive a product as advertised. Especially since we all know the whole 180 grams thing is usually an excuse for companies to actually charge more for a record in the first place.

Meanwhile, what really bothers me is that I preordered this thing the day it went up, have not received it yet (or even got shipping confirmation for that matter) while my local record store was selling it on Friday for a slightly lower price than I paid. 

6 hours ago, Jim Steele said:

It’s not that strange people are complaining, right? The preorder implied these would be the complete studio recordings (turned out that wasn’t the case) on 180 gram vinyl (which apparently isn’t the case). When you charge upwards of 400 + shipping for what’s basically six albums and some extras it’s not that weird that people expect to receive a product as advertised. Especially since we all know the whole 180 grams thing is usually an excuse for companies to actually charge more for a record in the first place.

Meanwhile, what really bothers me is that I preordered this thing the day it went up, have not received it yet (or even got shipping confirmation for that matter) while my local record store was selling it on Friday for a slightly lower price than I paid. 

I don’t think it’s weird. Not sure who that response was from either but was kinda irritated from his reply.