Soon? The Mars Volta

The sleeve for Mr. Muggs in my box was pretty trashed. I don’t know how that happened but can only assume someone fucking jammed it in and bent it. I’m going to see if I can get a replacement sleeve. I also have a small scuff on the de-loused jacket which I’m not too fussed about but if they have a replacement then I’ll take it.

Overall the box set is decent and the 4 albums I’ve listened to so far sound great. My only (minor) criticism (apart from the vinyl weight issue) is the shitty paper sleeves they used. It takes away from the overall quality of the box.

16 minutes ago, Skacel said:

The sleeve for Mr. Muggs in my box was pretty trashed. I don’t know how that happened but can only assume someone fucking jammed it in and bent it. I’m going to see if I can get a replacement sleeve. I also have a small scuff on the de-loused jacket which I’m not too fussed about but if they have a replacement then I’ll take it.

Overall the box set is decent and the 4 albums I’ve listened to so far sound great. My only (minor) criticism (apart from the vinyl weight issue) is the shitty paper sleeves they used. It takes away from the overall quality of the box.

In my experience with other box sets, the mere pulling out and replacing of albums from the set creates shiny scuff wear in the direction of the pull on the front and back faces of the jackets regardless of the coating (matte, gloss, high gloss, etc.). Its usually only visible under certain angles of light. Might be wise to bag each album inside the box. Shouldn't add too much more thickness to contend with the inner capacity of the box enclosure.

32 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

In my experience with other box sets, the mere pulling out and replacing of albums from the set creates shiny scuff wear in the direction of the pull on the front and back faces of the jackets regardless of the coating (matte, gloss, high gloss, etc.). Its usually only visible under certain angles of light. Might be wise to bag each album inside the box. Shouldn't add too much more thickness to contend with the inner capacity of the box enclosure.

I think I'll do that. Even if it means keeping the albums that will get more playing time out of the box . I'm going to replace the inner sleeves too. 

I've been comparing some of the first pressings with the boxset.

Here's what I found:

-Boxset sound quality is superior across the board

-Cover art is more vibrant than on older pressings, and the deloused jellyfish artwork for the boxset is a different take than the one used on the mov pressing

-For the most part, materials used on the originals are of better quality. Especially ftm. The original is like cardboard whereas the boxset version is flimsier

-Vinyl weight is noticeably heavier on older pressings

-Landscape Tantrums is awesome

Overall, the boxset is sweet. You can tell a lot of heart went into making the music and artwork shine. 

It'd be nice to have an At the drive in boxset to accompany this one, but after reading the boxset liner notes, I doubt that's ever going to happen.

Finally opened my box and looked over some of the LPS. The vinyl is very thin which I love and is very deep black with a beautiful shine. 

The album art on FTM looks much more deep and rich in the printing. They probably did some work with the original files. It's a nice touch. 

I've only tried to play Mr. Muggs because the grooves looked like they could be dual grooves and I thought perhaps the Frances single was hidden on the other side of the main groove. I didn't manage to find it but I'm not done trying. I will say that this remaster made Mr. Muggs actually sound pretty nice for what I've always considered a sort of throwaway instrumental that maybe didn't deserve two sides of a dedicated 12". Might actually listen to the whole track intentionally one day. 

Didn't play anything else. It's too late right now anyway. Can't wait to have the free time to spin FTM in full. 

9 minutes ago, NotACop said:

Are there still people whose package still hasn't left Gardena, CA? It's been 10 days for me. Starting to worry. Sandbag help desk was no help obvi.

Mine spent 3 days there (9 days ago) and the remaining 6 days between LA and Springfield, MA. I should have it tomorrow.

2 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Oh, and another thing: I scoured each matrix and there are no stamps or etchings with any codes identifying anything about the vinyl sides. How did they keep the manufacturing straight with no stamps or etchings?

Each LP has stamped: CH (clouds hill cat# ) (Side letter) EX: CH 118 A

Clouds Hill Email:

Hey there,

We are reaching out to you regarding your Clouds Hill order for the Mars Volta boxset.

We are very aware that many fans are anxiously awaiting the delivery of their parcel.

We would like to assure you that we are in constant contact with the Clouds Hill Team, the fulfilment house and carriers to nurse your orders through to their safe arrival.

Frustratingly,  we are experiencing some delays and we are working very hard to resolve the causes wherever we can.

Please accept our very sincerest apologies for the any disappointment these issues may have caused.

Please do not hesitate to get in contact if we can help with a specific enquiry.

Kindest regards

The Sandbag customer service team 

1 hour ago, kannibal said:

Each LP has stamped: CH (clouds hill cat# ) (Side letter) EX: CH 118 A

I'll have to look again much closer. I looked at pretty much every main album release and found nothing of the sort in the dead wax. Maybe my lighting just wasn't good enough to find it but I've never NOT seen the stamps on other LP's in the room I was in when I looked for them on this set. Maybe I have the copy that was the very last LP's pressed and they're just too faint to see.

53 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I'll have to look again much closer. I looked at pretty much every main album release and found nothing of the sort in the dead wax. Maybe my lighting just wasn't good enough to find it but I've never NOT seen the stamps on other LP's in the room I was in when I looked for them on this set. Maybe I have the copy that was the very last LP's pressed and they're just too faint to see.

Most of them are very light. They’re there.

3 hours ago, Fowty Dollaz said:

Clouds Hill Email:

Hey there,

We are reaching out to you regarding your Clouds Hill order for the Mars Volta boxset.

We are very aware that many fans are anxiously awaiting the delivery of their parcel.

We would like to assure you that we are in constant contact with the Clouds Hill Team, the fulfilment house and carriers to nurse your orders through to their safe arrival.

Frustratingly,  we are experiencing some delays and we are working very hard to resolve the causes wherever we can.

Please accept our very sincerest apologies for the any disappointment these issues may have caused.

Please do not hesitate to get in contact if we can help with a specific enquiry.

Kindest regards

The Sandbag customer service team 

sandbag dropping the ball, like usual 

1 hour ago, DecayToDeath said:

Haven't gotten mine yet, what makes you say so?

I don't want to spoil anything, but the beef between Jim and Omar/Cedric is well known, and it seems like it'll never go away. After reading, you also understand a bit more why Jim wasn't part of the atdi reunion.