Soon? The Mars Volta

12 hours ago, j67ab said:

I noticed in this Noble Records unboxing there is a 4/20 date on the side of his box.

11 hours ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

Conspiracy? 

why is that weird?  what was the release date?  the thread starter has done an F- job managing the first post with info.  no edits at all.  made a post with a question and then never returns to update it.  like who does that?  seriously?  wtf?

6 hours ago, gutterball1 said:

why is that weird?  what was the release date?  the thread starter has done an F- job managing the first post with info.  no edits at all.  made a post with a question and then never returns to update it.  like who does that?  seriously?  wtf?

Sorry dear, I will try and do a better job next time. All the best.

8 minutes ago, At The Mars Spartamasque said:

Please disregard that user – nothing s/he says should be taken seriously.  It's an alternate account of someone in the community who doesn't get enough attention in the real world.  To catch you up to speed, they pretend to be obsessed with The Used and contribute nothing beneficial to VC.  A great candidate for your Ignore List in your profile preferences, if you wanted to give that a shot.

So, it came.

All complaints are warranted and valid.

But...

This thing is fucking sick.

(I have no idea where I'm gonna put it)

Also, it's packed very smartly. My box was all kinds of fucked up from transit, but the foam layer around the boxset saved it.

It was worth the $500. 

6 hours ago, At The Mars Spartamasque said:

all good bro.

5 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Please disregard that user – nothing s/he says should be taken seriously.  It's an alternate account of someone in the community who doesn't get enough attention in the real world.  To catch you up to speed, they pretend to be obsessed with The Used and contribute nothing beneficial to VC.  A great candidate for your Ignore List in your profile preferences, if you wanted to give that a shot.

contributes nothing?  i give regular updates on the used threads i start including constantly updating the thread with variants, where to buy them, qtys left, sold out, etc.  i figure most users here considered me a backbone to this forum.

Also kudos for proving my point exactly.  The Used are nothing shy of a meme in 2021, as is anyone devoted to them.  The shtick is boring on its own but having your dipshit humor leak into other threads for no reason – like this one – is even worse.  Aren’t you due for another forced hiatus?  Not sure why you’re allowed to keep coming back, but it’d be great if you added one more temporary ban to your collection.

On 4/30/2021 at 6:59 PM, Amadeusvanrachmaninov said:

I don't want to spoil anything, but the beef between Jim and Omar/Cedric is well known, and it seems like it'll never go away. After reading, you also understand a bit more why Jim wasn't part of the atdi reunion.

I just read that story too. I'm quite shocked by the language used in there because it is sooo confrontational/aggressive. Going as far as calling Jim a "nemesis" and treating him like an arch-villain. I hope that was to convey how it felt back in 2002, and not what 40+ year-old adults are actually feeling today. 

To be fair, I don't really know much of the beef that went down with them, and really only started exploring Sparta/JW after the 2016 ATDI reunion announced Jim would not be participating (even though he did Coachella and that other small run leading up to it). BUT whenever Jim talks (or rather avoids talking) about it, he always tries to keep it humble (and it seems genuine to me), so it just seemed to so weird to hear it come across completely different in the notes. 

In a very weird coincidence I also listened to the latest podcast Jim did this week and he still seemed to compliment Cedric's strengths. Just super weird timing between listening to this pod and then reading the linear notes I guess. It's got me scratching my head and just wanted to share it with some folks who may care more than my partner ha

3 hours ago, rhcp02 said:

Got mine yesterday. Arrived damaged but bullmoose gave me $100 partial refund so it brought it down to $370 so it wasn't too bad. Just the holder thing was kinda split in one corner and the box itself was split in one corner too. The records themselves were fine so I can't complain. 

My copy from bull moose actually showed up just fine. The box was nearly destroyed but the box was not damaged at all. Figured it had been busted to hell. 

7 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

That was speedy, nice.

I know it won’t happen but can you imagine if the individual reissues were actually 180 gram?  The outrage would be unreal.

Even if they were going to be, they can’t now, right?

Or they can, just like they’ll do a color or two eventually, if not this time. 

3 minutes ago, kannibal said:

Even if they were going to be, they can’t now, right?

Or they can, just like they’ll do a color or two eventually, if not this time. 

Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me.  Individual represses – unless they’re like $80 a pop – do help the casual or unfortunate fans who didn’t obtain the box (for whatever reason that may be).  But at the end of the day, CH and TMV have no interest in “helping out the fans”.  It all boils down to money so they’re going to double-dip on boxset owners in any way they can.  I would anticipate either colored variants or some kind of luxury selling point – 180 gram, tip-on jackets, foiled # stamp – to tempt anyone who has a box.

Would have been nice if they’d simply announced the box set and the individual releases at the same time. People who wanted to splurge could have gone for the box and the rest of us could have just picked what we wanted. 

And indeed, interesting to see what happens if the individual releases outshine the copies in the box set.