Soon? The Mars Volta

2 minutes ago, Jim Steele said:

Would have been nice if they’d simply announced the box set and the individual releases at the same time. People who wanted to splurge could have gone for the box and the rest of us could have just picked what we wanted. 

And indeed, interesting to see what happens if the individual releases outshine the copies in the box set.

But that would have meant less people would have bought the overpriced box set with a bunch of stuff in it that they didn't actually want.

5 minutes ago, daegor said:

But that would have meant less people would have bought the overpriced box set with a bunch of stuff in it that they didn't actually want.

Bingo.  Marketing 101, baby.  Shit's greasy and always will be.  If you're drafting up a sales rollout and someone pitches an idea that "would be nice", it's likely forfeiting some kind of profit and needs to be nixed immediately.

31 minutes ago, daegor said:

To be fair it is very apparent that they massively underestimated the demand for the box set, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re just scrambling to catch the windfall while it’s hot

1 minute ago, OU818 said:

To be fair it is very apparent that they massively underestimated the demand for the box set, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re just scrambling to catch the windfall while it’s hot

I think you are correct, but I also think it is entirely possible that they know exactly what they did/ are doing. They built SO MUCH hype that a bunch of people are going to be so pumped to just pick up a copy of their fave 2 or 3 albums. That said, if they do any colors, premeditation is confirmed because that's double dipping on a lot of folks. 

1 hour ago, Jim Steele said:

Would have been nice if they’d simply announced the box set and the individual releases at the same time. People who wanted to splurge could have gone for the box and the rest of us could have just picked what we wanted. 

And indeed, interesting to see what happens if the individual releases outshine the copies in the box set.

Honestly,

they half-did. I generally agree but they answered a lot of us with soft confirmations of these individual releases too. I'm just a little surprised by how quick they announced it after the set, I was expecting something a bit later. 

12 minutes ago, Multiverse said:

Honestly,

they half-did. I generally agree but they answered a lot of us with soft confirmations of these individual releases too. I'm just a little surprised by how quick they announced it after the set, I was expecting something a bit later. 

Yeah there is usually a bigger gap between the 2

1 hour ago, highfives said:

Dude on the Instagram post said individual releases will only be for the studio albums, not the extras from the box. 

2xLPs will be $39.99, 3xLPs will be $49.99, Tremulant will be $25

Hmm, bearable but not awesome on pricing. I'm obviously still in, so clearly then know everyones on the hook.

Super hoping for some colored pressings, but not expecting them one bit.

Still, if I can manage a copy of Deloused ill be happy just with that in any form.

And really glad I waited not because the box doesnt seem awesome... but damn I aint got that money RN fam.

The box does seem cool but ain’t nobody looking to drop $80 on Octahedron and Noctourniquet tomorrow morning.  Let’s be real here.  I’m sure there’s plenty to go around but I’d fully expect FTM and De-Loused to sell out well before anything else, if quantities are limited.  Consistency was not the name of the game for this band.

9 minutes ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

Could easily get that back selling separately on eBay if you really wanted to. 

Probably. I think it seems like a lot for those things, but I’ve said before I think the set is overpriced, but I bought it and have no regrets. 

Based on your quote above, do you think a release should cost closer to what the secondary market is paying for a previous release? Should these reissues be say $80 each? After all it’s still cheaper than OPs. Just make it limited, so demand goes up post sale, and one could justify nearly any price. 

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

The box does seem cool but ain’t nobody looking to drop $80 on Octahedron and Noctourniquet tomorrow morning.  Let’s be real here.  I’m sure there’s plenty to go around but I’d fully expect FTM and De-Loused to sell out well before anything else, if quantities are limited.  Consistency was not the name of the game for this band.

I respectfully disagree. Consistency is actually the main feat of this band IMO. I love De-Loused and Frances as much as the next guy, but apart from Octahedron, which I adore but is a bit tame, I would rate them all pretty much the same. Amputechture and Bedlam are my go-to albums most of the time. 

Edited by Eliminator Jr.

2 minutes ago, kannibal said:

Probably. I think it seems like a lot for those things, but I’ve said before I think the set is overpriced, but I bought it and have no regrets. 

Based on your quote above, do you think a release should cost closer to what the secondary market is paying for a previous release? Should these reissues be say $80 each? After all it’s still cheaper than OPs. Just make it limited, so demand goes up post sale, and one could justify nearly any price. 

No, but in this case if it is an issue and you're not just complaining to complain you can fix the situation.

If you didn't like it you didn't have to buy it. Show you're taking a stand with your wallet. I'm all for complaining and then not buying.

Edited by Your Ex-Wife