Soon? The Mars Volta

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

If you’re listening to as many quality bands as you’re implying you do, you should have 0 problem coming up with more than a few “active (or active in the last 10 years) bands that have 5-6 albums I consider ALL to be consistent”.

pareto distribution, bro. most bands that even make 1 good album make only 1. id say I'm a fan of about 200-300 what i consider to be "great" albums from the last 30 years. that's a lot of run time, even if you went a whole year without a replay. maybe 20 of those came from 4 bands, the rest of the albums are far fewer/band. make sense?

2 minutes ago, Chrundle The Great said:

pareto distribution, bro. most bands that even make 1 good album make only 1. id say I'm a fan of about 200-300 what i consider to be "great" albums from the last 30 years. that's a lot of run time, even if you went a whole year without a replay. maybe 20 of those came from 4 bands, the rest of the albums are far fewer/band. make sense?

I do get what you’re saying but it doesn’t address the point I made.  We probably all listen to a shit-ton of artists who have only released 1 or 2 albums in the last decade that have universally and unequivocally done “well” – with critics, or among a cult following, in sales, etc.  I’m saying that if you consume music as avidly as you’re suggesting you do – especially music that features “new” artists releasing  albums within the last decade – and you’re grasping to think of any more than TMV who have 5-6 consistently good albums… you’re doing something wrong.

3 minutes ago, Chrundle The Great said:

Yeah it makes sense now. You're just a casual. Not trying to be a dick or anything but you're right and I do just listen to way more music than you. There's probably not enough time in a year to spin my collection, but that's OK I'm not in the mood for certain things for years. Sucks moving but I'd rather be prepared.

1 hour ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

Yeah it makes sense now. You're just a casual. Not trying to be a dick or anything but you're right and I do just listen to way more music than you. There's probably not enough time in a year to spin my collection, but that's OK I'm not in the mood for certain things for years. Sucks moving but I'd rather be prepared.

totally fair. but if you think you "love" albums you dont listen to even once a year, we have a different definition

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I do get what you’re saying but it doesn’t address the point I made.  We probably all listen to a shit-ton of artists who have only released 1 or 2 albums in the last decade that have universally and unequivocally done “well” – with critics, or among a cult following, in sales, etc.  I’m saying that if you consume music as avidly as you’re suggesting you do – especially music that features “new” artists releasing  albums within the last decade – and you’re grasping to think of any more than TMV who have 5-6 consistently good albums… you’re doing something wrong.

theres 5-10 artists that I think each have made 5+ great albums in my lifetime. TMV is one of them. theres plenty of artists that i think have made 1-3 great albums. i listen to 100+ new albums in a slow year. my main thesis is that people that claim they love all these artists/albums don't actually like them all that much. and the proof is that they don't listen to them all that much. people that listen to TMV listen to all of their albums, even if deloused and FTM get played a few more times.

im honestly intrigued to see one person's list of 20+ current generation artists that each have 5+ great albums. ive gotten a lot of great recommendations here, but i dont believe people really like that much music. and if they do, then they have stockholm syndrome with the artists they have listened to.

Well, a great album is pretty subjective in the first place, isn’t it?  You’re veering way off the course here and arguing for the sake of arguing, because I never said you (specifically) were prohibited from feeling TMV’s discography is equally great.  Your music consumption sounds an awful lot like mine when I was a teenager.  Listening to a smattering of stuff but insistent that there was only really a handful of consistent bands worth following, with complete discographies worth revisiting often.  Simpler times.

The truth is that you’re clearly in a bubble.  “Everyone I’ve talked to who listens to TMV listens to all of their stuff so I dunno, it’s all celebrated if you ask me.”  Maybe inside of a TMV discord or subreddit, but not elsewhere.  Probably not what you want to hear, but it’s a harsh reality.  Sorry dude.

So you listen to 100+ brand new albums in a slow year.  And there’s 200-300 albums you consider to be “great” that you often come back to… right?  Do you listen to those 200-300 exclusively, sprinkling in new releases?  Do you listen to good (not necessarily great) records?

For some background, I just checked and I’ve listened to 152 unique albums in the last 30 days.  (And it was a pretty slow month for playing tunes.)  Those were full album plays, front to back.  A handful of them were checking out new releases for the first time – and I’m also not counting repeat spins of the same album, if I get on a kick during the month – but the overwhelming majority I would deem “good” or “great” enough to buy and presently own on my shelf.  This is no flex because I’m sure there are truly voracious music enthusiasts that put those numbers to shame.  But I’m trying to gauge where you’re coming from, because it’s asinine to me that TMV are one of the only bands you can think of that have a completely “consistent” discography – an opinion you can hold, that I can respect you hold, but is in no way factual to reality.

5 minutes ago, Chrundle The Great said:

im honestly intrigued to see one person's list of 20+ current generation artists that each have 5+ great albums. ive gotten a lot of great recommendations here, but i dont believe people really like that much music. and if they do, then they have stockholm syndrome with the artists they have listened to.

If I make a list you'll just say I'm a nolife loser or something lol.

Here follow me on Instagram I'll eventually post everything. Currently adding some Pavement, who have 5 great records

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMU-0VksFE6/

19 minutes ago, Your Ex-Wife said:

If I make a list you'll just say I'm a nolife loser or something lol.

Here follow me on Instagram I'll eventually post everything. Currently adding some Pavement, who have 5 great records

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMU-0VksFE6/

Summer Babe is one of the most satisfying songs to play on bass. Pavement fucking rules. 

5 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

I respectfully disagree. Consistency is actually the main feat of this band IMO. I love De-Loused and Frances as much as the next guy, but apart from Octahedron, which I adore but is a bit tame, I would rate them all pretty much the same. Amputechture and Bedlam are my go-to albums most of the time. 

Tremulant through Frances is 5/5, the rest is hot dog shit

I know this dude is a troll, but5 or more good-great albums of artists currently putting music out or who have in the last 10 years? I'm game. Not sure I can come up with 20, but definitely more than 1. (Came up with more than 20, but I have other stuff to do now. Gotta stop)

The National

Jenny Lewis

Czarface

MF DOOM

Cursive/Tim Kasher projects

Conor Oberst/Bright Eyes

Cat Power

Neko Case

High On Fire

Om

The Appleseed Cast

Iron Maiden

Weezer

David Bowie (yes, Blackstar came out in 2016)

Built to Spill

Beach House

Belle and Sebastian

Death Cab For Cutie

Earth

Electric Wizard

Pedro the Lion

Though I haven't like the last few, Modest Mouse

Heck, Smashing Pumpkins are still putting stuff out within the last 10 years, right?

Even Metallica put out a pretty good album within the last 5 years.

I'm game then. I only used bands currently active though. Would have 20 if I didn't do that. We have a few overlappers

Alex G

The Appleseed Cast

Beach House

Boards of Canada

Built to Spill

Caspian

Cloud Nothings

Dinosaur jr.

Fiona Apple

The Flaming Lips

Godspeed You Black Emperor

Joyce Manor

Mewithoutyou (technically break up after the next tour)

The Microphones (questionable but just put a new LP out)

Mount Eerie

The National

Radiohead

Swans

3 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I know this dude is a troll, but5 or more good-great albums of artists currently putting music out or who have in the last 10 years? I'm game. Not sure I can come up with 20, but definitely more than 1. (Came up with more than 20, but I have other stuff to do now. Gotta stop)

The National

Jenny Lewis

Czarface

MF DOOM

Cursive/Tim Kasher projects

Conor Oberst/Bright Eyes

Cat Power

Neko Case

High On Fire

Om

The Appleseed Cast

Iron Maiden

Weezer

David Bowie (yes, Blackstar came out in 2016)

Built to Spill

Beach House

Belle and Sebastian

Death Cab For Cutie

Earth

Electric Wizard

Pedro the Lion

Though I haven't like the last few, Modest Mouse

Heck, Smashing Pumpkins are still putting stuff out within the last 10 years, right?

Even Metallica put out a pretty good album within the last 5 years.

That last National record was bootie 

3 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

The National

The Appleseed Cast

Built to Spill

Beach House

Earth

Can personally vouch for these among many more.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Nah.  Every National fan I’ve ever talked to listens to all of their albums.

Plus even if it was bootie, the criteria was 5-6 great albums from artists active in the last decade, right?

after that last tour i realized i'm not white enough to be in a room with fans of the national so you're prob right lmao 

such a drag, even with Julien Baker showing up